Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @laphilly have a great week and hope you continue to join us.  Just had a thought. There are stores that supply the hair salons that carry literally everything including extensions and most open to the public as well.  There was one in Toronto just north of St. Clair on Yonge I used to drop into for my shampoos and brushes.  Try to google your area and see if one exists.  You might find it there.  
  • Hope everyone has a good week, signing off now...nap before my covid jab! :-)
  • Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    Options
    I hope they're still having them in the fall when I'll have a little more time.  I'm taking some university courses for enjoyment and to hopefully finish my degree which I left dangling fifty years ago.  It's a struggle but I'm enjoying it.

• Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    I have not joined either.  I have luckily found a few woman who I have met on this journey (as it turns out I went to grade school with one of them) and the support has been immensely helpful as has this Thursday group.  I will do my best to connect with a tea because the more support the better.  The article that was done about me and my journey has resulted in a number of people reaching out to connect.  The most important thing they say IMHO is "it is just so nice to talk to someone who "gets it". Which is exactly why these mutual supports are so important. None of them were involved with OCC but hopefully will be soon.  Signing off now, enjoy the week-end everyone and have a lovely afternoon.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven
    It can be a challenge for OCC to schedule these things given all the different time zones. I had thought the Teas originally were going to be regional sessions but trying to have them open nationally can be problematic finding times that suit everyone. I know these live chats we do here needed an afternoon session because the evening one on Tuesdays wasn't really accessible to those in the East so I started this one.  But now we don't have a session that allows those in the west anything but a morning to check in.  But at least between this and the Teal Teas and the symposiums, along with the 24X7 nature of OVdialogue we have lots of ways to connect with each other.  
  • Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    Options
    Have a wonderful week everyone!
  • Rad
    Options
    Have a great weekend ladies!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Yes, I believe the Teas will continue. These first two months have been a test of sorts but believe the overall consensus is that they are valued. They may just adjust the schedules a bit.  And great that you ladies continue to raise awareness of OCC and OVd with those you connect with.  I'm sometimes so surprised how many survivors are not aware this group exists or the value that OCC brings to us all.  But then again I was totally oblivious until I'd actually finished my first line treatment. 

And on that note, I'll be signing off too today. Chemo yesterday and feeling the fatigue. Hopefully not much else. They added post chemo meds to try to mitigate the awful time I had last cycle.  So far so good.  But I think a wee bit of rest is in order right now.

Have a wonderful week everyone. Enjoy the weather. Enjoy the world opening back up to us all again...with some caution still of course....and for those with the chance to spend time again with loved ones....have a blast.  See you next week.
     <3 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited July 2021
    Options
    JULY 1 - It's Canada Day....and another live online chat if anyone is around today. I"m sure many of you are taking advantage of the holiday and so much lifting of restrictions across many parts of our country to spend time with family and friends.  

Did anyone attend the virtual Teal Tea the other evening that was dedicated to our young survivors?  Any feedback on that one I can share with OCC or you want to share with our membership?   

I've just posted a couple of new Discussion Topics:

• One looking for someone(s) to help support a new diagnosed survivor and new Canadian who is having language and cultural challenges dealing with her disease.  If anyone out there is familiar with Iranian culture and/or is Farci fluent do let us know.
    • The other a reminder of the auction upcoming on Monday.  I've seen a few ticklers of items available to bid on and  wow.....

Finally, I don't ever want this site to become political but I would be remiss in not acknowledging that this Canada Day is far different in spirit than it has ever been in past; this time one of reflection, learning, apology, forgiveness and a huge opportunity to make a difference in our culture today and for future generations. And so, on this Canada Day, I choose to listen, to learn and to be an ally. I hope you will too.

Well gals, it's 1PM and ready to rock 'n roll if anyone is out there today.  I'm here until 2 for those who might want to drop in to chat or just say hello........  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven
    Hello.....how did the Covid jab go last week  No reaction I hope. My son had his #2 on Monday (Pfizer) and nothing more than a tender spot on his arm for a day just like the first jab. 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    hi! Happy Canada day. Amy 2nd vaccine went ok. Had a few minor side effects but good to go now!  What auction? 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @ToughAsTeal
    Great news on the vaccination.  So wonderful so many of us have both now.  If you go to the Discussion topic all that I know is there in the content. If you're on FB, go to the OCC FB page and there's info there as well as on their Instagram.  Looks like some awesome offerings for auction.  If nothing else, it's like window shopping, which I love to do anyway.  Starts Monday.  Obviously a great cause. 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    And I too would like to acknowledge the reflections of our country’s past.  My brother’s mother in law was key for Truth and Reconciliation and was awarded Order of Ontario. Sadly passed (from cancer) this past Dec, but her work/legacy continues.  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Question… when in this discussion, is it normal I keep refreshing to see updates/comments? 
  • Happy Canada Day to all, beautiful day here in southern ON...my area (due to delta virus) has not moved on to Stage 2 so very quiet. 

That's OK as I've just completed first 2 infusions and so far so good except for extreme fatigue. So I'm just resting lots. 

I do have fluid build up in abdomen, fortunately as I've experienced it before I called in and have app't tomorrow morning to get it removed. I'll be so glad as it's made everything uncomfortable...eating, sleeping, breathing, activities. 

Anyway,  that's my update. I'm going in for a nap... 2nd of the day! But gotta do what you gotta do. 

@Fearless - Vol Mod well said regarding current situation...we all need to reflect on the past and contribute to a dialogue to ensure we can move forward together. It has been heartbreaking to hear the news, but sadly for me, not unexpected as I grew up in Brantford and my mother had many indigenous friends so we heard the stories. 

I'll look forward to reading messages later and hopefully will have more energy to chat next week. Take care all.🇨🇦
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Have a good rest @Readersmaven Glad to hear you're listening to your body.  It will always tell you what's best for you in your healing between and after treatment.  So glad it's going well so far. The fatigue, as we all know, is just a given. The fluid uncomfortable for sure but draining will give you the relief.

@ToughAsTeal one of the issues we've raised about this platform is how the discussion contents refresh or update real time..actually how it doesn't without usually having to go back and forth manually.  It's on the list of requested upgrades but I don't expect to see much until the fall.  

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Re seeking Farsi fluency… I know our local immigration services offers translation, which might help with small piece of what lies ahead.  I would suggest if someone can advocate for her re getting this service for free/costs covered compassionate reasons? Also, when going to appointments, perhaps Dr(s) would allow for a conference call with Iranian/Farsi background who has been through treatments, even if not ovarian? 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  Actually they have arranged interpreters for her and other support but so far no one who has or has had the disease and can really relate to what she's going through or can share with her from a survivor perspective.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @ToughAsTeal
    Meant to ask, although I expect no curls yet....or may be ever....did you order up the teal dye and try it?  Or is that still on the ' to do ' list?
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    I go to salon tomorrow!  I might come out teal, or a few strands of teal or hint of teal?!  It’s a leap for me… but hey, this whole year has been leaps and I keep making it to the next mountain….
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    That Farsi site..looks like it has support blogs like this one. There are two there re OC
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the link.  I"m sure Tracy will know if they're aware of that resource.  Really, from our end, it's sourcing a 'buddy' for her so she doesn't feel so alone in her journey.  Canada does have a very large Iranian / farsi speaking population and the individual doesn't have to be in Calgary. We'll see if this triggers anyone in our membership to reach out.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Oh you are so lucky with a salon appointment. Every time I'd tried to book we'd go into lockdown. Now, of course, the first intake for appointments are those they had to cancel.  Seems I can't get in until end of July and now my treatment schedule is a mess so can't even confirm anything for then.  My hair is an absolute nightmare, not having been cut in almost two years now.....and a 70 year old with a pony tail half way down her back just doesn't cut it!
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    I hope someone will be able to connect with her.  Through Tracy, please let her know that she is not alone, even if we can’t connect directly with her. Sending words of encouragement. 
    Lol…. Doesn’t “cut it” ….   
    Until updates can be made, we could borrow from TTY etiquette?   It helps for messaging to not be “on top” of each other.  Short forms are used like… SK. (Meaning I have stopped typing…now it’s your turn”.  There are more short forms, if you think it might be worth a try within this forum? I would be happy to do up brief instruction. SK
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well @ToughAsTeal
    Seems it's just you and me and have to admit I'm not quite myself today.  Loaded up on Dex to combat the effects of cycle 8 which I just finished and my neuropathy is really affecting my mobility.  Think I'll take a page out of Readersmaven's book and go lie down and have a wee nap.  Have a wonderful day and week ahead and hope to "see" you next week.
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Ooops.  GA means “go ahead, it’s your turn”.  SK (stop keying) is used in conjunction with it or to say “goodbye” at end. Ga or SK (your turn to go ahead or if you have nothing left to say, you would respond with SKSK (which is our equivalent of saying goodbye and hanging up the phone).
    on that, it’s 2pm… send me message next week for when we can connect re community thing, and  SKSK 🌻
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THURSDAY JULY 8 and welcome to today's online live chat ladies.

Today, you're on your own.  The past chemo cycle has been far rougher on me than I've experienced in past and find myself totally tapped out today.....the reserves I usually fall back on empty.  So hope you don't mind that today I'm focused on me.

I will circle back on any discussion from today and reach out if I have anything of value to contribute.  Otherwise, I'll be back in action next week for sure.  So whomever online, please say hey to everyone else and have a wonderful conversation today.  

Hugs to all...... <3
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod Take care of yourself and rest up. We will miss you but we will all have a good catch up next week!!
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod just focus on you,  essential self care! My last few days have been rough but I'm now progressing in the right direction.  I always tell myself, this too will pass.

Hope everyone is doing well.