Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Glad that you have a hiatus from the chemo, @Fearless - Vol Mod - I'm sure it feels like a log run!  I too had to take the blood thinner injections after my hysterectomy...didn't do so well with them and had to get my husband to do them for me!  I hope your infection / abscess heals soon, so that you can enjoy your time with your son!  That must be so exciting!  I'm planning to travel to Ontario next month to see my kids - children I mean!! :) 

• Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies, haven't been here a few weeks but I do read all the comments after. Nothing new with me,have my next check up mid September and have been feeling really good and was able to return back to work.@Fearless,so glad to hear you are feeling so much better after chemo,you have sure gone through alot .
  • Nothing new to report on the health front.  Just really troubled with my increasing girth.  Still looking 3-4 months pregnant!  Skinny most other places.  Weird - I keep thinking of your story about the pear-shaped analogy and that sums it up!  Next follow-up appointment with gyne-onc. is next month.  
  • CountryLiving
    CountryLiving Peer Support Vol
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies.. Missed a few weeks as I was finally visiting family. Went to my sisters cottage in north quebec and then had my mother visit for a week.. it was great getting her out of her retirement home after 1.5 years.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @tinazzie I am usually as my user name infers very fearless about most most things, but when they told me I'd have to have the blood thinner injected daily and the option was going up to Home Care (a misnomer given they won't come to your home) daily or do it myself I opted for the inconvenience of driving up for daily appointments. That lasted all of two days when, at the next appointment I said.....let me stick myself. And it was so easy and painless I've been doing it ever since. Even though tied to the same time daily at least I can manage myself no matter where I am. But truly never thought I could do it. One more challenge overcome.

So glad your plans to come this way to see your family are still on.  We are pretty open now here in Ontario in most places.  I live in a real tourist area and someone was commenting the other day about how nice it was during the lockdowns to have so much less traffic out here.  Hmmm, I do know what they mean but I sure did miss just being able to stop into a resto for brunch or go into a store and actually see what I was needing buy.  I hope you have as wonderful a visit as I expect mine with my son will be.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @ShanaL it looks like you're with us today. I think last time we heard from you was in June just before your surgery. I hope it went well.  Are you in chemo now?
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    How wonderful you've been able to return to work.  I had just retired when diagnosed so that was never on my own agenda.  How has the adjustment back been for you?  We'll all be rooting for a good check up in September.

@Tinazzie
    Be sure to point your oncologist to your girth when you go.  If everything else is skinny, there might be something he/she can suggest to help with that.  Sort of the same for me and I know I'd get rid of it if I started doing any exercises to get at my core...sit ups, planks etc. but I also have this dang hernia mid belly and somehow can't get past worrying that putting strain there could do more damage.  So I walk around looking like  a pregnant 70 year old LOL.

@CountryLiving
    How wonderful to get your mother out of care and home with you for a visit. For most of us Covid has been more inconvenience than anything, but for those in care facilities the lack of contact with loved ones has been especially brutal.  
  • Nice to hear from you, @Rad!  So glad that you're feeling well and are back at work...that's great!  :) 

I was struggling with that return to work decision myself - but in my case, I decided to officially retire.  I seem to have lost some of my confidence and feel I'm not the same person I was a year ago. It feels like I need to focus on something different.  
  • ShanaL
    Options
    Hello ! :)  I actually just had my 6 week checkup with oncology. The pathology from my surgery showed that there was no spread so my diagnosis stayed mucinous 1C . I am actually really confused by my appointment. My oncologist told me that they got everything and no further treatment is needed. That is a good thing but I was very surprised because my tumour was huge( 30x28x20 and weighed 10.1kg) . It broke during my first surgery so I was very surprised with the no chemo .
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie
    A change in levels of confidence is quite normal for us.  Don't let that feeling go on too long without some support.  Perhaps a connection to your local social work department to help with resources.  If anything, gal, you've proven how strong and resilient you actually are. Other capabilities will come back in time so be patient.  That said, sometimes this disease brings up new opportunities.  For me, my original plan to do some consulting in the corporate world came off the list but new possibilities opened up for me.  I turned my experience in change management  and life coaching into work here on OVd.  I do some consulting to Astra Zeneca as a patient-partner to development of new treatments. And I'm co-author of a work in progress with Queens U in development of a model to support women with gynecological cancer manage post primary care.  So think about the skills you have, and where else they may apply.  

• Rad
    Options
    @Tinazzie and @Fearless - Vol Mod adjustment to work has been fairly good, I co-own an A@W restaurant in downtown Toronto,so even during surgery and chemo I was still actually working from home but now I am able to into the restaurant and feel safe because I got both of my vaccine, I still wear a mask and shield. @Fearless - Vol Mod so glad you would be able to see your son soon
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @ShanaL
    So excited to hear how successful your surgery was. We're all doing the happy dance for you.  As for post surgery chemo or treatment, mucinous is in a category of its own and one that doesn't necessarily mean chemo is the best or even a needed option.  If you were only 1C when diagnosed and your surgeon feels he got it all, then rejoice.  Just be sure to keep watch on yourself for symptoms and ensure you have some follow up appointments for the near future to be on the safe side.  The tumor size isn't necessarily relevant ..and for peace of mind do ask what was done when it broke during the original surgery...some times they "wash" the area, or use an argon beam to destroy and lingering cells.  Whatever the case do trust in your cancer care team to be focused on the right path for you. If that means no further treatment unless warranted, the better.  My own friends who'd been diagnosed stage 1, although neither were mucinous, we offered the option of a few rounds of chemo but only if they wanted it. One did, one didn't and so far no difference in the outcome for either. They are still NED.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well my friends, thanks for joining us again today and sharing with everyone.  

It's that time again to say goodbye for another week but hope you'll join us again then or soon.  In the meantime wishing everyone a healthy and happy week ahead. 

Ciao for now...... <3  
  • ShanaL
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod Thank you so much! It’s reassuring to hear how well your friends made out. I was lucky that I was out of the hospital in time to attend my daughter’s high school graduation! 🙂
  • Hi Ladies! Been away for sone time, busy with family and getting ready in case we get an evacuation alert, since we have many forest fires around. Praying for some rain....
    I have my 3 month check today with my oncologist, will find out when I will need another scan to see how much the cancer has grown. Trying to enjoy the summer as much as possible!
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod when is tge teal tea today? 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Apologies to all....the Teal Teas are next week, not this week. Brain fog once again LOL.  If you're interested in joining one of the zoom sessions, here is the link for more information and to register:  https://ovariancanada.org/events-support/find-local-events#tealtea
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THURSDAY JULY 29 and here we are again. Welcome to today's live chat everyone.

No reminders today, or at least anything I can think of.  If I've missed something...well what can I say but brain fog!  

For me this week has been one of highs and lows.  I'm assuming the daily shots of the  blood thinner to address the blood clots is working but my right foot and ankle is still swelling during the day so not happy with that. And in the meantime have developed a nasty dull ache that's either my sinuses or a tooth abscess in the works. My dentist prescribed two weeks of heavy duty antibiotics and some codeine before he left for two weeks vacation but so far not seeing much progress. And, of course, not only is he on vacation, so is my GP and my oncologist. So I'll grin and bear it until next week when every one is back. So so much for my hiatus from chemo.  Not really feeling too great but I know that will change.

On an upside my son arrived on Wednesday. Picked him up at the Ottawa airport and you've never seen so many hugs! It's been almost two years so we have a lot of catching up to do and memories to make but lots of time since he's here almost a full month.  Just the boost that I needed right now.  

But enough about me today. Let's get started. Who's with us and who would like to kick off today with a big hello?
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    BIG HELLLLOOOO!

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @ToughAsTeal
    Good to see you with us today. How is everything?

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Some days, I just stand in the middle of the backyard, throw my hands to the sky, and say,”what else do you have for me?! Come in! Bring it!”  
    You are managing through a lot right now, but no doubt those hugs were re-energizing
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    I had my CT scan on Tuesday.  Of course, no one mentioned that the barium drink can cause constipation and diarrhea… like as if I needed help with that! Haha.
    I am eating small portions, gauged how it sits..all low fibre, and sneaking in some very soft vegetables.  But appetite isn’t really big lately. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    LOL, I think we all do the same at some point.  Never seems to be a lull between one symptom or another or some totally unrelated issue that ends up aggravating and time consuming when you least need to add to your plate.  With me it's this dang tooth/sinus thing.  Did it have to be NOW!  Oh well, you're right.  The big lug hug is the best medicine I could possibly have right now.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    When do you get the CT results?  Is it general followup or in response to some new symptoms? Do you get the "milkshake" to drink beforehand?  I know they still use it at PMH and yes, it is constipating.  Drinking lots of water after not only helps to rid the system of the dye they inject, but also helps with the bowel. Here in Kingston they use a different "drink"...it's clear and almost tasteless and seems to have less impact on bowel function, or so it seems. Regardless, I'm never far from my trusty supply of Senekot.  
  • CountryLiving
    Options
    Hello @Fearless - Vol Mod I have only had a clear drink for my CT scans at PMH.  I try and tell myself it is 7up when I drink it..
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod So sorry to hear you are not feeling well.  Having Drs away also causes so much stress and anxiety when we arent feeling well.  BUT, I'm so glad that your son is home.  When my family is around I sometimes forget that ive got cancer. Just the best.  @ToughAsTeal. sorry to hear about the side effects of scan.  Its bad enough waiting for scan and results but to have bowel problems too.    I am feeling better. I just gone through bowel stuff that leaves me only able to drink and eat yogurt.  Causes me great anxiety as i worry "is this the bowel obstruction?"  

• CountryLiving
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod how wonderful to have your son home for a month. Enjoy the time and let him spoil you!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @CountryLiving
    They finally changed it up then.  Good to hear. That milkshake stuff was just awful.....thick and tasted like chalk.  Did you ever get back with the URL for that exercise site you'd mentioned a couple of weeks ago I think it was @ToughAsTeal who had asked for it.  

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    I hope you can get relief from the tooth/sinus soon. If nothing else, keep reminding yourself that it’s temporary? 
    This time, I had the drink that tasted like orange chalk….then the IV.. where they inject iodine? And  gives sensation you have to pee.  Here is fun… at the end, I guess I didn’t press on my IV site long enough to clot….. my change cubicle walls and floors looked like a scene from Monty Python with knight’s arm lopped off! Um… sorry, I caused a biohazzard. Clean up in cubby 1!  Haha
    i expect I will get results by next week, at my appointment.  Whatever it is, whatever they find, it’s already there…so let’s just get moving to fix it. 
  • Hello ladies - not able to stay, but just wanted to say hello and hope all is well.  I see both @Fearless - Vol Mod and @ToughAsTeal  you have had some rough patches over the week.  I hear ya, sometimes it seems as if there's always something getting in the way.  But we're certainly better now at being persistent and have learnt to take some bad along with the good!  Hope the wind changes direction and you have a good week ahead.  <3