Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod My health is excellent and I hope your treatment is soon over so that you can enjoy a beautiful summer.  It sounds like they have everything under control.

• ShanaL
    Options
    @Annie1950 thank you so much! I’m just a little anxious today 
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @Fearless I booked a long holiday for next April.  I hope by then that air travel will be safe and that my health cooperates.
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @ShanaL I can't imagine anyone not being anxious before a major operation.  By this time next week you'll be home with your feet up and this will be a nasty memory.  Good luck and a big hug:)
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @ShanaL welcome.  And wow, so glad you felt able to join us with tomorrow in sight.  If I recall, this is your second surgery? The first removed one ovary and a mass they found. I take it this one will remove everything else?  It's hard to tell you what to expect since we're all so different but I agree with Annie1950, my own surgery which was a radical hysterectomy (ovaries, tubes, uterus, etc.) lasted about 3 hours..or so my husband tells me LOL.  I woke feeling pretty good actually. No pain (they used localized freezing with an epidural for pain management) and while I ended up in there a bit longer than the 3-5 days estimated it was just because they couldn't get my potassium level stable.  Once that was managed, I was home and surprised at how mobile and comfortable I was. Just tired a lot.  Never needed anything more than the odd Tylenol to manage any discomfort.  About 10 days or so later off to my GP to have the staples removed, and then another four weeks or so for my surgical follow up and ongoing treatment plan...for me, 6 cycles of chemo.  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Annie1950, lucky you. Where are you going on your trip?  We'll need postcards so we can all enjoy your travels vicariously.  And yes, through cycle 7 and I must admit for the first time in five years, this one really hit me hard.  Today is the first day I'm actually feeling normal again.  Thankfully cycle 8, which may be the last (keep your fingers crossed for me) is not until the 23rd. So I have a nice break and going to enjoy this lovely weather.

@ShanaL I can only imagine the anxiety today.  Doesn't matter what the surgery is for I think we all approach it with trepidation. I just kept reminding myself I had a great surgeon who'd does this stuff in his sleep...and literally that is fact for our gynecological oncologists.  You'll do just fine and if you're up to it next week, join in and let us know how you are.  Big hugs from all of us.  <3

• Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @ShanaL Good luck tomorrow.  As @Fearless - Vol Mod
    said, these surgeons really are the best. They know what they are doing and they and their team are prepared for everything.  I had an all female team and I took that as a great sign :).  Everyone is different, I had to stay a little longer than planned too, but it sure made coming home to my own bed even sweeter! We will all be here to hear your update next week!

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita I see you're with us today.  How are you doing. Last we heard you'd had your CT results and only minor progression showing...anything more to share?  
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod Sorry to hear round 7 was so difficult.  I hope round 8 will be easier and most importantly successful.  Good luck and warm wishes to see you through treatment.

We're going to Australia with a few days in Bali prior to and a few days in Taiwan on the way home.  I'm so excited and starting to plan things already.  For me the leadup to the trip is almost as much fun as the actual trip.  Can't wait!!!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Annie1950 if you need a valet or maid, count me in! That sounds like a fabulous trip.  We're thinking of breaking tradition for Christmas this year and making it a family trip somewhere.  Paris is in my line of sight right now but so many options and much will depend on the level of control of Covid elsewhere.  Worst case, we'll give each other a trip as a gift and just do it later on.  Thanks for the kind wishes on cycle 8....they'll do a CT after and that will determine if I go a final cycle 9...UGH but I trust my oncologist not to do anything unnecessary and focus on getting the best response possible so I have the longest gap before next recurrence.  LOL, they shoot for six months...I told her a year.  
  • CountryLiving
    CountryLiving Peer Support Vol
    Options
    Hello Ladies! What a beautiful day! All the best tomorrow @ShanaL. My surgery was at PMH as well but was 9 hours long.. had the mass removed carefully and of course all the lady parts and linings. Best surgeon and team! They were excellent and took such good care. Had surgery Thursday and was sent home Sunday. I needed pain meds but just for a short while. @Fearless - Vol Mod glad to hear you are feeling better.
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod If I remember correctly you've had a recurrence pretty well every year.  You're amazing!  With attitudes like yours it helps the rest of us realize that we might not be able to get rid of this beast that we have but come to terms with periodic treatment and still enjoy a decent life.  I so hope there's not a number 9 but if such is the case it will take you to a longer disease free period.

In regards to your trip to Paris I hope you enjoy plenty of amazing sites, good food and wine.  So many wonderful places to visit.!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @ShanaL as one of young survivors I know you've been in touch with @jiselle16.  Did you ever connect with any of our gals with the same type of cancer, mucinous?  @glenda was looking to connect with others with that form.  I also heard, but can't verify, that Facebook has a group called Mucinous Ovarian Cancer Support Group. Yours is rare so finding others with shared experience isn't as easy.  Hope this helps as you get through your surgery and move ahead in your journey.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Thanks @CountryLiving Always great to have you join us.  Onward and upward is my motto.  A few days of discomfort won't set me back.  I'll just plow ahead like I always do...bottles of dexamethasone and tylenol in hand...and get this over with and onto enjoying a glorious summer.  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Annie1950 yes, pretty good assessment on how it's gone for me.  1.5years clear before first recurrence.  Then two years on that Olaparib clinical trial, a real bonus, before the cancer began progression again.  So this is my second recurrence and after accepting that the way my cancer is configured I will never be cured but I can be managed for a long long time.  I'm now in my fifth year and while this is not how I expected to be living my retirement and later years, this dumb disease has actually brought me an inner peace, friends I didn't know I had, an appreciation for living in the moment that I never would have thought to bring me such joy. Yup, this lemon actually made me some lemonade.  
  • CountryLiving
    CountryLiving Peer Support Vol
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod sounds like you have come to acceptance. Whether with a recurrence or living with the fear of recurrence we must learn like you to find peace and acceptance. Enjoy the beauty of today and not let worry ruin it. 
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod You're so right.  So many people went above and beyond and the gratitude I feel is enormous.  Of course there were a few that came out of the woodwork to enjoy the drama even though I had asked them not to talk about cancer too much since it would sometimes take me to a dark place.  Not now though.  I've accepted it and will do my best to keep the beast at bay.
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @ShanaL Are you going to PMH as well?  The oncologists/surgeons there are amazing and I'm sure you'll be out in no time.  Big HUGS  <3
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well ladies, we're approaching sign off time once again.  Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead....treatments and surgeries go well and easy....continued good health for everyone else....and to sign off, a pic of the first of my peonies this season, just cut this morning from some of the 50 bushes we have scattered about our property. The perfume is just amazing !  
    Hope to see you again next week.....

• Annie1950
    Options
    Oh, so beautiful!  Have a wonderful week.
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    Sorry I was called away @Fearless - Vol Mod so just getting back on (too late though).
    I wanted to share my good news today!  My scans showed minimal progression (.1mm up or down) and great news is that there are no new sites.  Yay!.  So I am "holding".  Had my fourth Caylex on Monday and all good. They want to do the next scan at 2 months so I like that they are staying on top of this.  Still not eligible for any trials, but always hopeful. 

Movers arrived on Tuesday and everything is in storage for the two months between homes.  Finally the donation places will be open on Monday and I will be able to get all of that out of here too.  Most of it is going to the Women's Shelter storage so that's good. Everything is all set for our Grandson's wedding in our backyard Saturday, and our baby granddaughter turned 6 months old today.  So much to celebrate!!  Have a great week-end!
  • ShanaL
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the nice comments! Everybody is so nice in here! :) I did find the Mucinous support group. Thank you for the suggestion. My surgery tomorrow is at The VG hospital in Halifax.
  • Hey Ladies.  It has been so long since I have been able to actually make the chat.  Just wanted to pop in to say hi...I hope everyone is doing well.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi
    So nice of you to think of us. Miss you on our chats. Hope you'll join us again some time when you're able. In the meantime hoping all is well with you too.  
     <3 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Ouch....so sorry to be late.  Yes, it is Thursday June 17...and now 1:30 and I'm just tuning in.  

Hope no one tried and gave up today. If that' happened very sorry I wasn't here to greet you.

But here I am ...better late than never.......
  • Hey there!  Some days time just gets away from us! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm
    Are you with us today? I see the icons but they're never reliable as far as who's actually with us.  If you are, how are you?  How's the fund raising for the Walk of Hope going?
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod I figured you'd be along eventually and been sitting on my deck reading, beautiful day!
  • Funny about the icons, only one I see is mine. Quirks of technology! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for not giving up on me @Readersmaven.  Totally off my routine today. Usually I do my intro early morning so it's ready to hit post at 1 but this morning I was a lazy bones. Then made myself some lunch and just watching the news when I looked at the clock and realized I'd totally forgotten it was Thursday......wow, some days that brain fog is really there!

Glad you could be enjoying your deck and what I assume is a lovely day. Same here.

How are you @Readersmaven?  Did you happen to join the speaker series session on Mindfulness last night. I had to miss it but wondering how it went.