Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Greetings!

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @laphilly Glad to see you on today. Still working on that change up for you.  Waiting to hear from IT about any effect it might have on other registrations.  As I see it right now, OCC, the Walk and this one are all on different platforms so making that change here shouldn't affect anything else.  Will get back to you to test once I've completed the change over.  
    How's your day going?
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    What a beautiful day here in Eastern Ontario.  Good new that hair salons and such will be open beginning on Wednesday!! Finally! All is good in life.  Scan says I am basically holding on the Caylex.  No real side effects and Dr. wants a scan in two months this time to keep an eye on it so July 21st it is! Move is completed, living a bit out of a  suitcase for a couple of months but as always life is an adventure!!The great news is that we are staying a fair bit of the time with our daughter and her husband and I get to see our 6 month old granddaughter just about every day.  What could be better than that?  ! Moving into our new condo August 19th.  In the meantime I have set up shop in my daughter's law firm's spare office and I trying to catch up on work.  Hope everyone is doing well and getting to enjoy some of the summer that has arrived.
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Hot and windy here and feeling a bit useless to the prep work we need to do for a fence install tomorrow. Lost so much muscle strength. Have started physio to work on strength
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    I see we're developing a full house today....welcome @Annie1950 @Readersmaven @Taita @tinazzie.  How is everyone>

• Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    Options
    Hello @Fearless - Vol Mod.  Glad to hear you'll be enjoying the company of your son and that chemo is almost over.   With the added (I think) bonus of Stage 2 opening  it's worth celebrating!

It's been a good week, very busy, health good, kids and grandkids great and a fantastic father's day...
  • Hi all, I'm lounging on my deck taking it easy after yesterday's chemo. 

Thx to @Fearless - Vol Mod I felt prepared for the new combo. Starting IV was a challenge but 2nd jab worked. The gemzar burned at the start but nurse slowed drip and added more saline and a warm blanket helped. All in all not to bad and today so far so good.

Booked for 2nd covid shot later today. Our area Waterloo region is Delra hot spot so oncologist said get it!

Hopefully everyone is doing well.
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    Glad to hear your son is getting his second shot. It gives such comfort for visits and the knowledge that everyone is protected as best we can be. Did you say you have chemo twice in one week?
  • Hi everyone!  Beautiful day in the East Coast too!  Glad to hear that all well with you @Taita - but busy no doubt!  @Fearless - Vol Mod - I hope your son can make the visit soon. I'm hoping to go up Ontario in Aug or Sep to meet up with my son and daughter!  

• Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies great to be here today and what a beautiful day it is. Yesterday my husband and I went for our second dose of vaccine, was told only Moderna available so we canceled and rebook for next week 
  • @Readersmaven - great to hear that all went well with yesterday's chemo session!!  
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Readersmaven
    Glad to hear you are taking it easy.  So good you are getting your second shot. Some areas are still struggling to get doses.  I am a volunteer at our Mass Vaccination Clinic and we had someone drive 3 hours to come to ours for a first show because they still hadn't been able to get one.  Depending on where you live it can be tricky.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita
    That's great news on all fronts.....stable, a good follow up plan, getting to see your family more regularly and the new place progressing.  You have one busy summer ahead!  I haven't been checking the news....so glad to hear we'll be opening salons Wednesday.  Must get in the queue for an appointment. Each time I have in past we've gone back into lockdown before I could get one. This time I'm sure it will be another wait but hopefully no chance of being abandoned once again....I guarantee if that happens I'll be getting out the shears and doing it myself!!!!

@laphilly I"m the same with physical strength.  I find I have to rely on my husband to do things for me that I used to easily do myself.  Digging the gardens, any sort of construction or moving things around....and the stairs....ouch, it's just not safe for me to carry things up and down without at least one hand free to hang on to a railing.  Oh well, at least there are still lots of things I can do and I just focus on being grateful for that.  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Now that I have some hair grown back, anyone know of a temporary type teal streak when salons open?  Temporary? Is it permanent colour?  Not sure what to ask for
  • Annie1950
    Options
    Now here's a superficial question:)  Has anyone dealt with chemo curls?  I finished chemo eight months ago and my lovely new hair is so curly I look like a sheep!  Please tell me they will resign themselves and be more manageable.
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @laphilly What a great idea!  I don't know of any teal rinses but I'm sure they're out there.
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    lol is WISHED for chemo curls. Figured the cancer owed me that much, right?!! But, I got my bone straight, fine, mousy hair haha!  Turns out I do look ok with a “pixie” legit!a 
  • @Annie1950 this made me laugh! I struggle with the same thing each day! The struggle is real ;-)

I've tried a flat iron to no avail and have resorted to washing and fluffing, I let it air dry. It's further complicated by the fact that my hair is super thick. Apparently a side effect of this new chemo treatment is hair thinning (not loss), so it could be blessing in disguise! 

• Rad
    Options
    I finished chemotherapy 4 months ago and I have a head full of curly hair and before I had straight long hair.I kinda like this new look though..
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Can I cling in to any hope I might still get curls?!  7 months since last chemo.  Wow I reallllly looked like my Dad, when I had no hair!  
  • Annie1950
    Options
    When they first made their appearance I went for a haircut before the last lockdown and the advice was not to fight it, go with the flow, blah, blah, blah!!! Okay for them with lovely manageable locks:)

All joking aside I'm just so grateful that I have my unruly mop after being bald for eight months.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Annie1950
    Glad to hear all is going so well for you.  Hope that continues.

@Readersmaven
    Think you were hanging on the deck last week too. I guess that's your new Teal Thursday spot.  Great idea to be enjoying the weather while chatting with us. I tested our wifi outside the other day.  Being rural you never know but my signal seems to be pretty broad around the house so maybe next week I'll perch out there too.

So happy you felt prepared for the Gemcitabine and that it went well.  When I was first on it hardly anyone knew of it. Know it seems lots of gals are getting it and it seems to be having desired effects.

Welcome @Rad

Too bad they didn't have your Pfizer. The Moderna is another MRNA so you probably would have been fine with it as your second but if emotionally you feel more secure waiting for the other, if it doesn't take too long, then I sure understand. So many mixed messages about the vaccines these days. I'm just glad I got it all out of the way early on. Now the question becomes, when for the next booster....will there be one expected each year like the flu vaccine...

@Taita
    Great you're volunteering at one of  the vaccination clinics.  Those I've encountered have made the experience so easy and comfortable for everyone.  Getting the danged appointment though is really trying for some.  That piece not managed as effectively as it could be.....mostly mixed and confusing communication confounding everyone, especially seniors and those where english is not a first language.  

@laphilly
    During the Walk here a number of our gals put teal streaks in their hair or do the whole head.....just some temporary dye they buy at the drugstore.  I do think it takes a few washes to get it out though. But the cosmetician at your local drugstore should be able to tell you which product aligns to what you're trying to accomplish. I've never done it myself though.  
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @Readersmaven Was your hair curly and thick before?  It is a blessing to have that little bit of extra hair if you're going through a treatment with hair loss side effects.  Good for you.
  • Annie1950
    Options
    @laphilly and I'm sure your dad is very good looking.  I hope you get some chemo curls too.  They have a life of their own but it's all good.  I've got to say it's nice to have a totally different hairstyle.  Not of my choosing but I think it'll be temporary.
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    About 10-15 years ago, a fad here, salons had coloured hair extensions…you would get a streak glued in for which cancer ribbon colour, and I think proceeds went to cancer.  I am hoping to find that a somewhere maybe?  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven
    Doubt you'll notice any real impact to your hair from the Gem. They told me some thinning only so I did expect to see something but actually I just notice a wee  bit more hair in my hair brush but nothing of note.  To all with the curly issue, a number of my teal sisters from our old live support group had that happen.  With a couple of them it stayed, the others eventually their hair texture went back to what it had been before. Like everything with this diseaes and treatments we all respond differently I guess.  If there's anything it's taught me it to be flexible and nimble since nothing seems to happen as expected.  On a ;plus side, I am much better at just going with the flow these days.
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    Love the conversation about the curls!  I have had them all my life and always of course wanted straight hair.  The curls are back in full force and the secret for me is wetting them each morning and letting them air dry then running my fingers through them to give it some lift.  That's it!  If I am really ambitious I put a bit of curly gel in it to keep the humidity from making me look like a brillo pad. Funny thing, when the hair came back in it was pepper with a bit of salt, six months later it is salt with specs of pepper! My eyebrows came in dark too, but now they are going grey. LOL!  I guess it is just nice to have hair, eyelashes and eyebrows again! 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Signing off. Needed outside.  This was my first teal Thursday and I love the hair stuff! Maybe if I find a teal streak I will take picture and update from the olive green emoji I currently have!  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Has anyone attended the Teal Teas? I think the last for June is this afternoon. But wondering how they're going.  Timing last month and this month is right in my chemo cycle so haven't signed up but maybe try one next month. The interesting thing is not necessarily recognizing any of us on the zoom...since we use our user names here but real names on the zooms.  
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod haven't joined the  Teal Teas. Would like to give it a try, but times didn't work...maybe next month. 

It's great to connect with others on this journey. Lots of insight, tips and inspiration.