Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Taita
    Options
    I didn't know about those weather headaches. I never get headaches and I have had a couple of them in the last few days.  That may explain it!  For those of you on Caelyx, I was on it for five months and what I found really helped is i borrowed shoes from my friend who wears half a size larger and when I couldn't wear fit flops I wore them. Religiously used Uri Sec cream with 22% Urea in it morning and night and while my feet and hands were still swollen, it seemed to keep the sores and pain at bay.  Everyone is different, but it might help.
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    Good morning from the west coast!   Sorry to hear about feet and hand issues. Would phoning cancer hello line maybe have some helpful suggestions or medication?  Cancer is bad enough without throwing awful side effects too!   I’m on route to dr appointment.  I was preparing for bad news but just found out chemo scheduled for tomorrow.  Another roller coaster ride. Lucky I love the roller coaster.   
  • Speaking of packages, I did a mini baking session yesterday and am now packaging it up and going to mail the packages to my son and daughter in Toronto in a little while.  Here's hoping they receive it in time for Christmas!  Hubby is out and has just finished shoveling the driveway after all the snow last night, so will be signing off soon.  Have a great week everyone and a peace and love filled holiday week if we don't connect before that.  
  • Taita
    Options
    I have to sign off now.  Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas all good things in 2022!!!  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Taita great tips thankyou!  Am using the udderly smooth , and living in well cushioned under armour sport slides with adjustable vecro strap.  Uri Sec is a name brand? 
    @gaylestorm you have jogged my memory follow something up re B6? Level wi my dr. That might help me.  Hope chemo goes well for you and you are in and out. Queue up some great music maybe? 
    Happy last minute online/inperson shopping eveyone. 
    @tinazzie east coast? Yes? Snow

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita @CountryLiving @ToughAsTeal @Tinazzie @gaylestorm

Lost my connection for a bit but back on in time to say good bye for this week.

@Taita so glad to hear how responsive you are to the clinical trial. Wishing you continued success with the treatment. 
    As for the head aches, I found out years ago that the "head bangers" I get have a direct correlation to the barometer and when barometric pressure is high they hit me like a ton of bricks. 
    And seems ToughAsTeal gets them too.  It's not unusual and often considered by some to be a migraine but they're not. 
    @ToughAsTeal I do hope you're side effects begin to ease enough for you to fully enjoy the holiday. And yes, B6 50mg 3Xdaily is supposed to help with skin rashes.  That's what I'm taking.  Although can't find bottles with 50mg tabs here so have to bite the 100mgs in half....my pill cutter just breaks them up  Hopefully just being with those you love will be enough though and I'm sure they'll love the chance to pamper you.
    @gaylestorm so glad to hear it's chemo again for you....so strange to be calling that good news eh? But it does mean they have some hope it will achieve some desired effect in the longer term. Good luck with it gal.  And remember, there was a time not long ago that you didn't think you'd see this Christmas.  So, like ToughAsTeal, just sit back and let that wonderful family of yours wait on your every need.
    @CountryLiving hope you, like us, don't get hit hard with this current windstorm.  Suddenly it's died down here a bit so hoping I'm being bypassed again.  
    @Tinazzie how lucky your kids are to be getting home baked goods at Christmas. Yum.  And hope otherwise and other than the snow down east you're doing well. 

Have a great week everyone.  Remember to check in on those who might need us most through the coming weeks, and see you all next week I hope. In the meantime, extra hugs to all...
     <3<3  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE.....December 23 and our second last live chat for the year....at least for those not doing the usual last minute scrambling to make it all perfect for those we love the most.  

Shout out to our Teal Sister, ToughAsNails (aka Laura) and one of our regular participants who let me know she couldn't join today as she'll be in another round of Caelyx/Avastin.. Let's all wish her well.  Side effects have been unusually brutal for her on this treatment so hoping her body is adjusting and she's able to enjoy the holidays.

And for those who's plans have had to be adjusted because of Omicron, the resilience and ingenuity you've shown on this site will carry you through.   Strange isn't it but I just realized that,of those of us who've been active in our community here, no one has yet to contract Covid.  And so many I heard from this year who many times told me that they were at the end of their battle, are still with us today thanks to new treatments, new drugs, and even the occasional miracle.  Yes, even in the face of adversity we can find things to be grateful for.

And thank you to those Sisters who've stepped-up in supporting our newer members or those struggling right now.  Just letting them know their voice is heard, or a gentle virtual hug or word of encouragement goes a long way for many especially during this emotionally heightened time of year. 

So ladies, it's now 1PM and ready to chat for anyone online  and wanting to say hello, share a story, or ask for support.  How are you? What's on your mind today?

• Rad
    Options
    Just want to pop in and say hi and to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas. I know some of you ladies are in treatment right now,my thoughts and prayers with each of you.I hope everyone stay safe and despite what some of you are going through right now that you all have an awesome Christmas with your family and friends. 

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well said @Rad.  From all of us at OVdialogue, wishing you and your family much health, joy, and peace through the holiday season.
     <3 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well ladies, it looks like Rad is the only one not madly baking, polishing silver, lined up at a check out, wrapping gifts or, in treatment so I'm going to say my own goodbye today...so I can finish my baking, polishing the silver, get in line at some check-out, and wrap the rest of the gifts ready to go under the tree. Thankfully treatment for me is over for the balance of the year.

I know some of you will likely check-in later to catch up on discussions you may have missed. Please feel free to leave a greeting to the community if you wish.

So until next week; yes, I'll be here again in case anyone does wish to check-in,,,,,,,,

• 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Here’s to you all 🥂  

Wherever you are on our path we are there together, hands held strong across the vastness that is our country. 
    I wish you all warmth, joy, hope and much love during the Christmas season. 

🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    Wishing everyone a peaceful, joyful, holiday.  It doesn't seem to matter how old I am, christmas still has the same magical feeling it did when I was a child.  Its always hard to go to sleep and I can't wait to wake up.  Magic. Looking forward to talking to everyone after christmas.  take care and a huge hug from me.  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Easy treatment yesterday, and best decision was to be portered in a wheelchair as I can’t walk more than one step without utterances rated “E” for explicative.
    Decision made to borrow a walker to get me from point a to point b (chair to bathroom) so I am not relying on others as much. 
    “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it.”
    ― Maya Angelou
    Merry Christmas,  thanks and blessings to all of you.
    Laura
  • Wishing everyone a happy holiday season!  Hoping we all find little nuggets of joy, peace and love all around us.

Hugs!

• Happy mid-holiday week! Anyone else here but me?

• KimRudd
    Options
    Good afternoon @BeamBlossom. Happy almost 2022!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THURSAY DECEMBER 30TH AN OUR LAST TEAL THURSDAY FOR 2001.  

I had a chance today to look back on our discussions this past year. Lots of different topics covered. A changing roster of participants, many of whom became regulars. Others popped in and out as time and need were there.  What really stood out to me though were two things.  First, how willing each participant was to share and to offer encouragement. And secondly, how often our conversations had nothing to do with OVC and as result we began knowing each other on an entirely different level.  

Tomorrow at midnight we welcome in 2022.  I no longer make resolutions, but one. I resolve to be here again, same time , same place to usher in 2023......so, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE.  Wishing you all much joy and good health for the coming year.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Welcome @BeamBlossom and @KimRudd  Kim, you've changed your screen name from "Taita"? 

• Taita
    Options
    Oops! I signed on as my old account under Kim Rudd. Thought I better go to my “screen name”. Lol!  Good to be here!  I have been sitting at PM since 9:15 am waiting for my treatment. They are booked solid and short staffed. Had my CT Scan yesterday. 🤞. Other thank tired and inflamed joints and muscles I am doing well. Had a fabulous Christmas!! How about everyone else? 
  • Hello ladies, how are you both doing? Finding the holidays tiring?
    I had a Caelyx treatment yesterday, no Avastin this time as I have a biopsy scheduled for Jan 17 and they want me off of it for a month due to bleeding issues Avastin can cause. So, I didn't sleep last night thanks to the steroids and am a bit tired today.

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Hi all. Was trying to use mic instead of keyboard but its picking up words from family talking lol. Who is out in vancouver area with a good snowfall?! Beutiful pictures my cousin sent from surrey
  • @Taita - what is the treatment you are getting today? All that waiting is brutal, it was similar yesterday at Sunnybrook.
    @ToughAsTeal - how far along  are you in treatment now? did you have a CT yet to find out how will it is working?

• gaylestorm
    Options
    good morning everyone.  Im on the northshore of vancouver and awoke to a beautiful sunny snow.   We have had extreme weather here this year.  Unlike eastcoaster we do not do well in the cold.  My poor house couldnt keep us warm during the past few days.  thank goodness for electric blanket that followed me around the house.  How was everyones christmas?

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita I can delete the old account. Let me know if you want that done.  And wow, that's a long wait for treatment.  Hope they take you in soon or you have some good stuff to keep you occupied. But great to hear how well you're doing on the trial.  

I had a lovely Christmas. A "real" tree for a change and so far all needles still intact.  Gift exchanges were all meaningful.  Way too much food. But for me, the best was having Tyler home and all to myself for an entire two weeks.In fact listen for the sobbing mother tomorrow as we drop him off at the Ottawa airport for his return to Calgary. Unfortunatey my step son and family had to cancel. My daughter-in-law tested positive so they had to remain back in Tampa. But we did have a lovely zoom and the good news is she remained asymptomatic.  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Caelyx really has done a number on me. Avastin i seem to he tolerating better by comparison, with typical side effects moderate.  Skin discolouration. A mottled tan without needing a passport or approved test and isolation.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @BeamBlossom how was your Christmas?

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Have been using a walker. Mobility slowly improving. Pain has been not so nice.
  • Hi everyone...sorry I'm late!  I didn't think there was a chat until the new year!  But glad to see so many of you on!  Will grab the opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year and and hoping that the holidays are bringing you love and laughter.
  • @Fearless -  It was fine for the chief cook and bottlewasher. I'm glad I could do it, many hours on my feet because i decided to over bake. Everyone enjoyed it, it was quick as my son was working nights and had to leave at 4:00pm, dinner was at 2:00p,
  • Taita
    Options
    @BeamBlossom I am on a clinical trial of Anetumab Ravastine every week with Avastin added. every other week. I