Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Tinazzie
    Options
    Until next Thursday...have a great week everyone! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options

THURSDAY MAY 20 - and here we are once again.  If you're having the same entre to summer I am here in SE Ontario, I'll be interested to see who drags themselves in to chat today.  You are forgiven if you're opting for sunshine and fresh air and gardening, a walk or just sitting out reading a book right now . :)

For those joining us or those scanning today's conversation later, a few items to share:

The new Teal Teas start next week for those interested in connecting with their peers on the Zoom platform.  I posted more info and the dates/times for May in the discussion topic TEAL TEAS.  And you can go to this link to register for this month or keep abreast of the schedule moving forward as new dates are published. https://ovariancanada.org/Events/Find-Local-Events

For anyone who attended the World Ovarian Cancer Day Symposium, OCC is looking for some quotes they can add to content they're planning to publish in their social media. Just a few words about what you though of it, what having these sessions means to you....really anything you might want to share with others who may not have attended.  If you have anything you wish to share, please provide it to Tracy Kolwich by EOD Friday.  She's at tkolwich@ovariancanada.org

Time to get started gals....so if there is anyone with us today please "raise your hand" and say hello.........

• Hello! I'm enjoying the great weather but came in to grab lunch so will join in for a bit. Hope everyone is well...
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @Readersmaven glad to hear you've been outdoors.  It's so glorious here. We've been spending the last few days in our gardens cleaning up, pruning, cutting back.  It's been neglected the past couple of years.  The bonus to having it look more cared for, is all the flowers and plants popping up we didn't even know were there now that they have better sun exposure. So glad I'm well enough to enjoy the garden again.  

• @Fearless - Vol Mod ..great to hear that you are able to be out in the garden, just makes everything better. I did a lovely trail walk last week, along the Grand River, was just what my soul needed!
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies, I am enjoying these beautiful days in southern Ontario. Had my 4 months post chemo appointment yesterday and I was really excited because my CA 125 was 10.50   and all my blood work was really good, gynecologist also did a vaginal examination and said that looks good as well,I  am going to enjoy this win until my next appointment in 4 months. 
  • @Rad... doing a happy dance for you!  Certainly worthy of a celebration! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven I agree.  Somehow, for me, as spring and summer emerge I feel like I have a new lease on life.  Heck, how can you not feel hopeful and encouraged when the sun is shining.  I just finished lunch outside with my husband and nicest part, other than having his company of course, was listening to the birds "talk" to each other. We've never had so many....

• Rad
    Options
    My husband and I are both home right now so we have been cleaning up the outside getting the flowers and vegetables ready and I must say because of covid I am really enjoying my outdoors.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad that's wonderful news. I'm doing the happy dance for you!  Now let's just keep it that way, eh?  But, for sure, you've hit a home run this week. 

• Hello ladies, I am joining now, sitting outside in the cool weather,  with my new puppy! He is bringing so much joy in my life!
  • Rad
    Options
    @Readersmaven you are so right, last summer and now this summer is turning out to be my best ones in years and to think that covid and cancer made this all possible. 
  • I really liked the symposium, especially to hear what research is being done in Canada. I had no idea Canada played a big role in Ovarian Cancer research. Gave me hope.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Sylviequebecbc I am so jealous.... a new puppy!  I just love dogs...and puppies...well they are the best.  My old guy is the last surviving of my 3 cockerspaniels. Buffy, the beige one, passed away four years ago at 14, Spring, the chocolate, crossed the rainbow bridge last year at 12.  And now Cash, the black cocker, is the last one left standing...which really is left sleeping which is much of what he does now. Poor guy is blind and deaf but still wagging his tail so as long as he's happy that's all that counts...we'll just keep spoiling him.  
    What kind of dog is it, Sylvie?

• Rad
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Modand @Readersmaven thanks for the happy dance!
  • @Sylviequebecbc a puppy! So much joy! What did you get ?
  • He is a rescue dog, a Labrador cross...but which ones? He has big ears, so cute, 8 1/2 month old, I will try to post a picture.
    @Rad so happy for you! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad it's interesting you say that the cancer and covid have actually brought some positives into your life. The same with me. When I was first diagnosed I told myself I could dwell on the negatives and my fears or try to look at what might be changing for me that was good...and over the past five years I've found so much..and most of it wouldn't have happened without this diagnosis.  Strange how life works sometimes....

• Here is Odin
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Sylviequebecbc so wonderful you chose to give him his furever home. I'd love to see a picture for sure. He sounds adorable. 
  • @Sylviequebecbc... what a beauty! Lovely face 😉
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Sylviequebecbc
    Oh, he's adorable.  Love the ears.  Maybe a bit of German Shepherd in him ?  You should be glad you're in BC...if you were closer I might be tempted to steal him LOL.  
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod...I had technical problems during the symposium and had to log off numerous times so sadly I didn't get much out of it. The good news is that we had new cabling run into our house on Tuesday and our internet speed has more than doubled. I plan on listening to the sessions, and while not the same as live and feeling like you're part of the community I'm still looking forward to learning the latest updates. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    My 3.......miss Spring and Buffy so much. 
  • Looking after him re-directs my focus from my situation. A welcome change! 
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod... what a lovely trio, amazing how they work their way into our hearts! Our guy has been gone for almost 10 years and I can still feel him sleeping on my legs when I'm on the couch.
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod OH my God! So cute! I totally understand your loss, our previous dog Luka died last October at the age of 17. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven
    I missed a bit myself. Not from technology issues, I was still coming off chemo a couple of days earlier so kept having to nap. There are some sessions I still want to catch up on. It's great that they do record them for us.  Glad to hear you've got better internet now though.  We're rural and luckily it's been reasonably reliable out here with the provider we use. But lots of neighbors have significant issues with some of the other providers.  
  • Rad
    Options
    @Sylviequebecbc and @Fearless - Vol Mod adorable dogs!!!
  • During the symposium, they said that in about a year or so, they may be ready for drug trials for women with atypical OC. I hope to be able to participate.