Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Tinazzie
    Options
    A belated happy birthday, @gaylestorm!   
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod how has your week been?  I have met my new oncologist for the first time this week.  So weird to have phone meeting with someone you have never met before.  I have a scan scheduled for beginning of June. Tumour markers have been creeping up since chemo ended, even with the Zejula.  I could feel one abdominal tumour, which she verified.   With all that, she thinks I'm chemo resistant and she is exploring alternative routes to go.  I feel great right now, so I'm just enjoying that.   Talks with Jennifer Turner have been a huge support to me and I'm so thankful that ovarian Cancer introduced her to us.
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod and sorry to hear about your fiddlehead experience.  Ive never eaten and now will stay far away from.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @tinazzie, Barb Vanderheyden's piece, which I did manage to see, was really enlightening and encouraging.  It was also interesting to hear how many projects/studies there could be if all of the funding required was available. It just serves to confirm how important the money raised at the annual Walk of Hope is, along with advocating to the government and to possible corporate sponsors.  

Congratulations to Gaylestorm who jumped in to the Walk of Hope with both feet recently. I think she's already raised close to $5000.  
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Tinazzie. Our team is nearly at $7000.  I am going to another call out closer to the event.  I was thinking of raffling off one of my paintings to my team's supporters.  That is if I get busy and paint!
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies, good to be here on this beautiful 19 degree day in Southern Ontario. I an planning to spend all day in my backyard enjoying this lovely sunny day.Unfortunately our stay at home order for Ontario has been extended until June 2nd but on the bright side it will probably help our covid numbers to get lower. 
  • Tinazzie
    Options
    I agree Kath, so important to do whatever we can to be able to raise awareness, raise funds, advocate, etc.  Congratulations @gaylestorm - that's awesome!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm Let's hope any changes you might be experiencing can be managed. So many alternatives to chemo, or at least platinum based if that's the issue.

Thanks for asking but other than the fiddlehead experience I'm fine. Although a bit perplexed after my CT yesterday. For the first time in five years I didn't need to drink the contrast fluid and they just IV"d me (for once it was easy and painless) and used the dye. I've had over 50 scans since being diagnosed and this the first time the requisition said....contrast fluid not required. Sure hope someone didn't screw up and I have to go back and do it again.  Guess I'll find out next week.  Of course, hoping when I do my blood work on Monday I have enough blood to go around.  4 tubes for my oncologist but am on the Bio Diva study and they just called to say they'll need an updated draw, so that's another 7 tubes.  This is when having the port so comes in handy.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm wow.  And didn't know you were an artist. I so envy those with a creative bent. I did try my hand at painting once, years ago. I was a dismal failure, although rather than admitting I just told everyone my style was abstract impressionist  :)
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod do you mind me asking what the Diva Study is?
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hey @Rad
    Just heard the June 2 date.  I don't think they have any choice though. The numbers are just not dropping the way they should and more needing hospitalization.  That said, I saw an interesting chart that showed the numbers way down or flattening in the age categories where the % vaccinated was high. So for 80+ that have over 90% vaccinated the numbers are almost zero.  Then when I look at cases over the past few weeks, they are almost all in the age categorie where they have only started vaccinating.  I think that goes to show how important it is to get that first one in everyone we can, as fast as we can.
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone. Just had my 3rd treatment of Caylex Monday.  All good! @Fearless - Vol Mod you had asked to see the article that I was interviewed for.  I have included the link here.  There are a few technical things that are a little off (555 is actually the BioDiva study that I am part of), but the apirit of the article I think is really good.  It is all about raising awareness .Former MP Kim Rudd Shares Her Health Challenges | Cobourg Now - News Magazine

• Rad
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Modyes I totally agree with you on the vaccine rollout in Ontario 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad it really hasn't been managed well. Too much confusion in instructions and lack of clarity but it seems to be coming together better now.  Just get fed up hearing the finger pointed federally....I think they're doing an ok job. We are getting our supplies and in most cases more than or earlier than forecasted.  And they're providing back up resources to help us out here.  Ontario is just too decentralized. Now, of course we have to contend with the latest back tracking on AstraZeneca.  We spent so much time convincing people to get it, now they're pulling back on it with no clear plan on what can be the second dose now for those who've used it.  Sheesh!

• gaylestorm
    Options
    In Bc they have reported to have vaccinated 50%   Anyone over 18 can register to be vaccinated. We have a couple of hot spots that they have been concentrating on getting all people vaccinated.  While Astrazeneca has been controversial, the pop up clinic did motivate people to get out and get vaccinated! We have travel orders in place and not allowed to leave our health regions.  Communities on Alberta border are concerned about the numbers going up.   
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    For those in Ontario....on June 2 when the lock down ends, what's the first thing you're going to do that you haven't been able to do since the stay home order?
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone! Third Caylex treatment Monday. All good!.  @Fearless - Vol Mod
    you had asked me to share the article I was interviewed for and I have included the link here. It really is all about awareness. There are a couple of technical errors (the 555 test is the BioDiva study).  I have shared this with OCC as well.  
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    four of my children had astrazeneca. one experience no side effects, another felt like bad hangover and my daughter and husband had moderate to severe side effects, which slowly went away.  Its too bad that it was put out there that we should choose the best vaccine for us, when we've been told all along that the first one offered is the best. It created anxiety and confusion.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm my son is in Alberta and apparently they are experiencing that same drop in numbers directly related to the age brackets and % vaccinated.  He's 33 and got his last week (whew) and apparently their vaccinations sites and pharmacies are running full tilt. If they haven't already, they should open to all adults (I think that's 18+) this week.  Much more efficient system there since it's centralized.  So hopefully they'll be seeing a significant drop soon
  • Rad
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod when the stay at home order ends in Ontario I would love to spend sometime with my mom,she lives in a senior building and I had a social distance meeting with her in February. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @taita that's great news on the Caelyx.  And thanks for sharing the article info.  I can't wait to read it. 
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    @Taita. Thanks for sharing.  I will definitely watch.  That was what promoted me to start a team for walk to hope.  I shared my story and symptoms so that others would have more awareness to the disease and to raise money so that our daughters and granddaughters don't have to walk down this path.  Everyone can relate to that.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    I hear from friends who's parents are still with us how hard these lockdowns have been on them. I'm sure she'll really benefit from being able to have you close.  
    For me lifting the lockdown order is bitter sweet. It means I'm closer to getting my son home for awhile but also means my husband goes back to work and I lose his companionship, notwithstanding his brawn when it comes to doing things here on the farm.  

• Tinazzie
    Options
    Thank you @Taita for sharing the article and for spreading the word on our disease.  
  • Rad
    Options
    @Taita thanks for sharing that article, just finished reading it,very insightful and inspiring. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @Taita
    just read it too. Excellent article and thanks for spreading the word.  And what a lovely picture of you....
    By the wayl how did the move go? Or have you yet?.
  • Rad
    Options
    Hope everyone have a great weekend!
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    Thanks!  It felt good doing it. Three weeks till the move but our new place is delayed so our kids are going to get to see more of us :)
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    By for now @Rad

Guess it is that time ladies.  Until next week when hopefully I'll see you all again, stay well, stay safe and continue to treat yourselves and each other with love and compassion. 
     <3