Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• @Fearless - Vol Mod  You have a great attitude, the Olaparib sure helped in your case. All the best with the new course of treatment.

• @Fearless - Vol Mod, so sorry to read your update. It is something we all dread. Sounds like you have the right attitude and so onward!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @Rad , great to have to here.  @BeamBlossom that sounds like great progress.  A couple of 2 hour bike rides is impressive.  And let's hope the return to work plan is that nice balance between stimulating your productivity while not taxing you more than you can handle.  From my own experience, coming from the employer end, they monitor pretty closely to make sure the plan is working on all sides.
  • Rad
    Options
    Ladies I will really appreciate any  input on liver enzymes. I finished 2 rounds of chemo and my ALT and ALK. PHOS keeps rising.
  • Sorry to hear of your news @fearless. As the others have said, you have an excellent outlook. That is something I aspire to!
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod  I was wondering, if you had not had the Olaparib option, how soon after frontline would you have been into chemo for treatment of a first recurrance?

• @BeamBlossom...absolutely a mental disease. I'm doing a couple of mediation classes each week to stay focused in the most positive way I can,  but still a challenge. How about you,  any advice? 
  • @Rad - glad they are monitoring and caught the liver enzyme rising, what chemo are you on? Perhaps they will switch to a different one?

• @Readersmaven - nope no advice that I have found works, I am an overanalyzer and an over thinker, I'm still working on letting go and trying to stay present. I could not meditate for 2 minutes, my mind goes blank when running or cycling so that works, but is only a temporary fix.  This OVC journey will require a new way of thinking about everything for me. 
  • Sorry to hear your news @Fearless - Vol Mod .  Nothing but positives for you.  All the way.

So, @Fearless - Vol Mod  I don't know if you remember but I did that trip to your neck of the woods on the weekend.  It was amazing.  It was a surprise trip for all of us sort of like a scavenger hunt.  We had to open envelopes as we went to reveal our next destinations.  So from Whitby, we stopped at the big apple, then Presqu'ile, then a winery or 2, then lake on the mountain...it was a beautiful weekend.. Mom's and daughters.  My and mom and I, and my BFF & Her daughter.  It was fantastic

• Good luck with your scan @Readersmaven
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone.  I'll do just fine I'm sure.  But probably have lots more to share as i got through the process again, this time in the Covid enviroment

@BeamBlossom I would have gone into recurrence chemo the same time I started the Olaparib trial..January 2019.  At the meeting to firm up my treatment plan they introduced the trial as a viable option and I jumped at it. It was all a matter of timing....the trial was just closing and I was the last patient to be included.  

@Readersmaven I've had no experience with liver enzymes other than to say the various chemo drugs can impact all kinds of readings. Best to discuss what it all means with your oncologist and whether it's something to be concerned about.  I know, for me, my red blood cell counts are down below normal. That's the Olaparib likely.  They were never so low to be of concern though and it's expected that they'll naturally go back to normal in the next few weeks before I go into chemo.  If not, then they will have to remedy the situation beforehand. 
  • Rad
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod I admired your strength and resilience in dealing with news that's sometimes not too good, I  am learning to deal with my diagnosis alot better after reading how well you ladies are rising above it all.
  • @KarenBemi - that trip sure sounds like fun.
  • For the mental part of the disease, I might recommend participating in a " Healing Journey" program.  They offer then at different cancer centres and as part of Wellspring through sunnybrook.  It did wonders for me.  
  • @BeamBlossom Know what you mean. I do guided meditation and having a guide seems to help focus. 

I am currently doing socially distanced water aerobics 3x/week and like you find I can loose myself during class.

All part of this challenging journey. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi I was thinking of you all weekend.  So glad you enjoyed it. And what a cool way to experience the County.  Love Lake On The Mountain. If you walked over to the lookout you could have seen my farm across the channel.  We're just on the other side of where the ferry docks.  
  • it was.  It was part of my own positivity journey.  I am trying not to let anything get me down or hold me back.  If I can do it and want to do it....I am doing it while I can.  Currently I am NED but....as well all know, that could change so...I am taking full advantage

• Rad
    Options
    @BeamBlossom I am  on Carbo Taxol.
  • @KarenBemi, I just started the Healing Journey Program remotely through Wellspring (Well on the Web). They offer a lot of great programs. I also started their return to work program online - not sure when my return to work will be, but I thought I'd take it anyway!
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod , i did do the look-out and was watching the ferry go in and leave for a little bit.  I was tempted to drive down and take the ferry...just because I love Ferries.

• @KarenBemi - I am being treated at Sunnybrook but have not heard of that program. I will look it up.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi the absolutely best approach...and I see others sharing it successfully too.  I love the positivity on this site.  You gals are a real source of strength for me....so thank you.  
  • @cbot, I tried to take the return to work but the program was full and I couldn't get in prior to my return date.  I am doing the Healing Journey through Hearth Place Cancer Centre in Oshawa.   I in Level 6.  Good luck with your return to work plan.  I hope it will work out well.

• @Rad - I was also on the carbo taxol.  How is it going for you?

• @Rad - Carbo/Taxol is the gold standard with 30 yrs of history behind it for treating cancer. I have read that it can influence liver enzymes, but when I was in treatment, my liver levels were not checked, I asked about it once and my Dr said that if it were negatively impacting the liver there would be symptoms, such as jaundice. I bet they will deal with it for you if it becomes a concern.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @angel27 Good to see you back. How's the new job going?
  • @KarenBemi - are you doing it online or is Hearth Place open again?
  • Rad
    Options
    Good luck @Readersmaven on your scan next week.
  • Rad
    Options
    Thanks @BeamBlossom on that information, makes me feel alittle better.