Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• I'm experiencing yet another extreme weather event in Ottawa.  Torrential rain and hail.  One of my drainage pipes is geyering up about a foot.  Just resolving the paperwork for an insurance claim I had to make about a month ago after a tornado in my area.  My neighbour's patio umbrella went airborne and broke 2 of my windows.  I have been worried about something like that happening all summer because they keep their umbrello unfolded.  Just what I needed, another problem.  
  • GloHo
    Options
    @jmbarrhaven
    Honestly, I don’t even know what to say!! OMG!!! So sorry that you are going through all of this. Do you have family/friend support to help you get through this? 
  • @GloHo
    I'm coping.  I just told the insurance company that I want the option where they do the majority of the work and I just write a cheque for the deductible.   When the insurance company warned me about loss of my no claim discount,  it was kind of fun to be able to say that I likely wouldn't be around all that long to be paying the increased rate.  My new policy is that I do whatever is easest.
  • GloHo
    Options
    @jmbarrhaven
    OK. Just saw the news showing the flooding in Ottawa. Now I have a visual of what it is you’re dealing with!! Yikes!

Just want to say…don’t burn your bridges re insurance. Treatment has come a long way. Are you still in remission? Still on Zejula? 

I was diagnosed in 2019 with high grade serous…have been in and out of treatments…some worked, some didn’t. I am platinum resistant which reduces options for me, but on the positive, I still have options. Currently in immunotherapy clinical trial that seems to be working…just going for my second CT tomorrow. I am feeling good without a lot of cancer-related issues yet…at 4 years since diagnosis!! Of course, dealing with treatment side effects…most are manageable. I never imagined that treatment would be so effective for me.

This site has been such an honest place to ask questions, whine, and rant. The support has been amazing and it really helped me get my head around my diagnosis and to keep a positive outlook throughout all the ups and downs. 

Hang in there. I hope your renovations go well. 
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @GloHo and @jmbarrhaven I apologize ladies for not being able to join the chat yesterday. It was a day that was decided they were sending realestate to do an I-scan of the home and drone footage. It is curious to see all this unfold, the selling of this home when the Landlords know we aren't going anywhere and that the home has a long list of serious deficiencies they need to fix and disclose in the sale of the home. Some include septic, mold, etc so serious stuff.  Anyhow, I made it through that! Thank goodness for my good friend who comes and speaks on my behalf to reduce my stress level.
    I had a full abdominal ultrasound on Monday to see if we can figure out why I am having the issues with my bowels (yellowish, float). The talk around poop it endless it seems.  So, I went from having fecal incontinence, to constipation back to incontinence again.  I don't get it!
    @GloHo I totally understand where you are coming from and have made the same error as well with not balancing. It does make a difference on ones psyche.  It is very difficult at times to navigate through this.  I am happy to hear how many years strong you have been.  It is amazing. I feel we all have our dark times and our light times.
    @jmbarrhaven I am so sorry you have to go through all that. I, too, saw the rainfall your area received and they stated it was a month's rainfall in 6 hours.  Incredible, scary and damaging for sure. As for your insurance issues, how difficult.  The bottom line is they may it difficult to get back what you need and yes they depreciate things. We lost an entire home to a fire and the minute details they were asking for was astounding especially because we soon realized we were underinsured.  You are correct about laughing about timelines. Good for you for drawing a line and saying what you need.  You are amazing!  
    I watch things unfold around here regarding our soon homelessness and all I can think is "I don't care as I probably won't be here so don't include me in your plans!"  I wish it weren't true but is a sad reality.
    Well ladies, I must go as I am going kayaking with a friend, napping then going to the Highland games tonight to see the calling of the clans!
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    Hello Ladies
    It's that time again. If anyone is around and want to chat, I am here.

• Taita
    Options
    A little late to the party but I am at Disney World with our girls, their partners and all four grandchildren!  Party of 9! Have had a blast but I had been insanely HOT!! Home tomorrow.  Hope everyone is having a good week!  
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    Good for you @Taita!
    Family time is so important and you are all creating memories forever.
    Enjoy the last bit of heat
    Rest up when you get back
  • Is there anyone on chat today, Aug 24th?

• Strongwoman
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
     Hope everyone is well and I want to assume busy as the site has been a bit quieter lately. My fingers are crossed that it means you ladies are in a good spot. If you aren't, remember we are here whenever you need us.
      Well my saga of the home continues. Finally after 2 wks of silence, they have listed the house and put a lock box on. It's interesting they have done this when what home improvements we have done are not settled so anyone looking at it may not be getting everything here. The one thing that has bothered me the most is that they don't believe my prognosis and severity of my condition. Just this week in an email they stated "we understand what you are going through as we have battled cancer too." 
      Since I last wrote we lost another member of our Palliative Program. This means we have lost 5 in 6 months. The program coordinator/volunteers remarked that they had not had this many losses before in a short period of time. The last one was the girl that did the Hike for Hospice with me and was like a little sister. I am finishing her Legacy projects for her. I have 2 more to go! We had her Celebration of Life on Tuesday this week. It was great talking with her family and learning more about her. I will miss her dearly.
     My oldest son has CoVid so he has been banished to the basement. He is enjoying the "room service" (left outside his door) and enjoying his "hotel stay".  He is a funny guy!  Fingers crossed it stays with him only.
     So how is everyone?
  • Taita
    Options
    @babs272 I just popped in for a bit. How are you? Hope everyone is enjoying their day. 
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @babs272 @Taita
      Yes was being long winded 
    Have you recovered from your trip?
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    I am painting and filling in journals for the boys.
  • Yes, its chemo day but not until later today. Its the short one.
    Finishing round #5 and I am feeling more tired and lack of energy these days.
    My daughters and I , with the 4 grandkids rented a cabin up near Harrison Lake for a few days. It was so peaceful. I have not be'en able to get away with the girls for some time. We made it happen, all 7 of us.
    Husbands were not invited. LOL
    How is everyone else doing? I hope you are all well. Its a tough battle this Cancer. I am trying to be positive but I do have my lows too.

• Taita
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    Hope your son has an easy time with Covid and it stays just with him. 

We took the kids and their families to Disney last week. We had a fabulous but HOT time. Not only did we bring back a T-shirt as they say, we brought back Covid. 5 of the 9 of us. I am still testing positive but hoping I will be done tomorrow. Visit with my oncologist tomorrow and then treatment Monday. Had to skip a week because my Dr was on holidays. So back on track Monday. 🤞
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Taita I will keep my fingers crossed 🤞 for you as well. Keep us posted. If I remember correctly you have been following @GloHo in case that option is presented to you at some point as well, correct or no?
    Glad you had a wonderful time
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @babs272 I am very glad you were able to get away and with no men either! What a treat! Glad you had time with your girls and grandkids too. Precious memories for all.
     Yes, I find myself more tired as well. I will write a different post on it in the general part later to update. I am even more determined to finish a lot of things off 
     On a good note, hubby and I are headed up to the Sault and St. Joseph's Island to look around and see if we want to move there. We are going on Thanksgiving weekend 
  • Taita
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    Unfortunately another clinical trial is off the table for me as I have a secondary (non related) breast cancer. I got 8 amazing months from my clinical trial in 2021/22. Hope @GloHo gets some great results. 

The Taxol/Avastin stopped working a couple of months ago. I am now on Gemcitabine. We will see. 🤞 but I feel good which is really important as we know. 

Have to sign off now. Have a great day everyone! 

• Just finished the 4th chemo of my first reoccurrence.  While not nearly as much foot neuropathy this time around, it sure is taking a toll on my white and red blood cells.  I had my first blood transfusion last week.  The beneficial effects lasted a couple of days until the chemo took it toll again.  Also have had a lot of trouble with my port, so will be getting it out and a picc line put in again.

@Taita you are much braver than I at risking Covid.  
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @jmbarrhaven Sorry to hear you are having some difficulties. If what we are experiencing isn't difficult enough. I, too, had to have my port removed due to difficulties. It was very sore and wasn't working properly. Felt better after removal.
     Are you able to do things to help keep your mind off things or too tired to do so?
  • Just finished vac the upper floors. Next, to wash them. I am drinking alot of water before I go for chemo later.
    Hoping my BP stays down. So far, its working with the water pills I now take.
    Getting away was great but expensive. But then, we had alot of fun. Watched the stars at night and  just relaxed.
    I want to do this again in the Spring. Hope to have more energy by then.
    Its be'en so hot for us here and the smoke coming from all the fires in our province, it makes it hard to breath. Today so far, is no smoke, but coming our way again later and tomorrow. Fires everywhere every year. Its so sad.  I hope you all have a good weekend.
  • @Strongwoman yes I am mentally pretty strong.  I just feel that I have entered into a new middle phase of the disease.  I am a big reader, so I use that as a major escape.  I count myself lucky to not be having to find a new home as you have been forced to.  Sure makes a case for hanging in at my home as long as possible to maintain more control.
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @babs272 Good for you. Plan ahead and make it happen. 
     OMG yes the fires. They are terrible. Hoping you are safe and stay that way. I imagine the air is not good at all. Is it recommended to mask when going outdoors?  I pray for rain for all of you!
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @jmbarrhaven
     We are hanging in there and in til the end. Homes don't seem to be selling around here and hope for us it stays that way. Major things wrong with the home including septic and mold. I am hopeful we find something and move on with our lives and enjoy everything again.
     I am an avid reader as well. What have you just finished or started? I am reading Transcription by Kate Atkinson
  • @Strongwoman, since my diagnosis I keep everything light and no stress.  I am reading a lot of romance novels.  Julie Garwood, Mary Balogh, and Susan Elizabeth Phillips are a couple of my favourites.  
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @jmbarrhaven
      Nice!  I read anything and everything. I enjoyed Jann Arden's earlier memoir and Tina Fey's as well.
  • Hi everyone, Had second infusion of Carb and Caelyx yesterday. Feeling rotten, nausea and headache. Throwing pills at it,  but not much relief. This is my recurrence chemo, and I have four more to go. I am envious of those of you who can travel. I never feel well enough,  and the ferry trips to the hospital are exhausting. I am trying to drink more fluids, but I am one of those people who never get thirsty and hate the taste of water. Can’t put citrus in it because of urethritis. But it does help, I know, and prevents kidney problems. 
    On the island we are not getting too much smoke,but the Fraser Valley is for sure. My daughter lives in Mission and is having bronchial troubles. 
    Ah, Harrison Lake, one of my favourite places. Been going there for fifty years. I hope Babs, you got do drink some of the mineral waters there. 
    I am trying to finish a necklace for my oldest friend’s birthday on the first September. She lives in NYC and we keep in touch. She and I met at school when we were thirteen, and hit it off immediately. Lost each other for decades and then I found her again 23 yrs ago, on the internet. She is a breast cancer survivor. 
    My friends keep me uplifted. And the other day I found my husband’s driving glasses after he had searched for them for ages. I was happy to be useful. Such a small thing, but I feel so useless these days.  Not my normal at all.
    Hope life continues for all, with less house challenges and more fun.
  • I love autobios. My favourite is Agatha Christie’s. Jane Fonda’s is pretty good too. And I read all Rosamunde Pilcher’s and Maeve Binchy’s novels. Really feel good. Most of Joanna Trollope’s too. I am exBrit, so am drawn to these genres. 
    Just binge watched “ Manifest”, an American TV series. Enjoyed it, even though none of it made sense. I fell in love with the characters, and two of the actors fell in love with each other in real life. It definitely distracted me from my troubles. Sci-Fi, bit of fantasy, well acted though.
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    My fav bio thus far is Diane Keaton. I learned so much about her.
    Have you read Jane Austen? Or any of that type of book?
    I haven't seen Manifest but am binging Succession on Crave rn. Similar to you I liked characters and story 
  • I read Jane Austen in school. Still love her, and all the movies and series of her books. Not keen on Dickens, but love Trollope. The Brontes were much too dark for me, but I appreciated them. Thomas Hardy, again, so miserable. Loved George Elliot but never re-read after grammar school. Got into the modern  classics and American novels. Now I really like Canadian novels as well. I think my favourite classic is Silas Marner. I have read it about three times. 
    One of the things I like about being 78 is that I can re-read books as if its the first time because I have forgotten most of it in the intervening years. Saves a lot of money on buying books.
    What is succession about?