Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @kattie666 I always said the highlight of this disease was that I'd probably lose all the weight I'd been trying to get rid of and instead, like you, gained more. For me it was the steroids that gave me an insatiable appetite and, of course, I didn't have any nausea as a side effect.  Like @cbot we'll be expecting to hear you ringing that bell next Friday. The end definitely being something I'm sure you and all your family will be grateful for on Thanksgiving day.  
  • cbot
    Options
    Hi @kattie666. I will be thinking of you next week. And thanks @Fearless, I did see the trials - I will ask but they all seem to be for high grade serous. I have clear cell histology so there seems to be less that is applicable to me.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @kattie666 on the subject of your strength and stamina...just have patience. It will come back but slowly so don't set expectations that are too aggressive.  Just start with some walking. Perhaps some light exercise. Focus on sleep patterns.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @cbot Any plans for Thanksgiving?
  • @fearless Thank you so much!  Yes I did think I would lose lots of weight... steroids had other plans.  No nausea here either.  I am trying to stay out of my head!  I have follow up ct scan booked for November 27.  Hoping to do lots of walking by then.... 
  • cbot
    Options
    @Fearless, no plans as yet. My white cell count has been quite low, and gathering sizes have been restricted again, so options are limited. I will probably have a quiet day with my son, who has been doing an awesome job as my caregiver!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @cbot I had forgotten you were clear cell. I know that's far more rare. There was a gal, in Canada somewhere, who was participating in the IGCS summit last Saturday who was also clear cell and quite concerned about, what she felt, was a lack of priority in research.  I suggested she join OVdialogue as there were several of you with similar diagnosis and it might be helpful to share experiences. So she might pop up at some point.  So wonderful you son has been your support through all of this.  I'm very close to mine and without him in my corner I would have been lost; not to discount what a rock my husband has been through it all.  You may be staying in but the two of you will have lots to celebrate.  Same for you @kattie666 and wishing you also a great follow up in November.  I still remember when I had my post chemo follow up and heard those words....no evidience of disease. It was like the weight of the world lifted off me.  Wishing the same for the two of you.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Gals, (@cbot, @kattie666 )speaking of recovery, my TV is on and tuned to the Marilyn Denis show.  She's just introduced a daily (I think) exercise spot that, if you watch the show, you might find helpful or motivating. The gal that's leading it is doing easy exercises but making a point of focusing on doing the exercise correctly.  How appropriate!  
  • cbot
    Options
    Thanks @Fearless. I will try to tune in. I have been going for daily walks, but it will get a little more challenging as the weather gets cooler!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well, since it seems it's just me again, I'll close today's chat with good wishes to everyone. @cbot , @kattie666 thanks for sharing your good news today.  Right now looking out at a beautiful clear bright blue sky, a couple of puffy white clouds, and the maple tree in front of my office window a glorious orange...life is indeed good and think I'll go out and enjoy some of it. Bye for today!
  • cbot
    Options
    Bye for now!
  • Hello @Fearless, @cbot, @kattie666 and @Bluebird – sorry I missed the chat yesterday.  It sounds like there were good conversations on post treatment, strength & stamina and ongoing surveillance. 

I had to go into town for my bloodwork and expected to be back in time for the chat.  But then – and no excuses – I totally forgot.  And isn’t that a wonderful thing in a strange way?  It’s wonderful because I made a detour on the way home for my first non-medical errand in 7 months!  It was also the first time I entered a mall in as many months.  Never thought I’d find a mall appearing like an enchanted castle – but I was filled with wonder.  I picked up what I needed, gazed at the other stores then spotted a Starbucks and couldn’t resist a large latte – something I’d been craving for months!  And as I slurped on it, I kind of felt like the me I used to be before.  I forgot how ill I had been, forgot the surgeries, forgot the chemo and the Teal Thursday chat I meant to attend!   :# 

Back to reality again now, but feeling so much better for the experience of it.  

• @Tinazzie, I'm so glad you were able to have a normal day in your life again.  😊
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie I can't tell you how well received your note was to me this morning.  One of the values of our live chat is that you don't always have to be there to participate.  And your reason for missing our last one was just wonderful to read.  Such perfect example of carpe diem.....and how much we all relish those moments in time when this disease just gets compartmentalized and shoved to the background. Seizing that moment of normalcy is something I try so hard not to let slip through the cracks of my own life.  Of course, totally jealous about the Starbucks, the one thing I swear I miss most about living in the country....oh, what I'd give for that latte you had right now!  
    Here's hoping you have many many more of those moments ahead...and that you'll share them with us.  And hope to "see" you at the next chat.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Happy Thursday, October 8 everyone.  Mmmmm.....the smell of turkey is in the air and I'm already drooling. Although I must admit it's the next-day sandwiches and my famous turkey soup I most look forward to...those and what with that enzyme turkey is supposed to secrete, a good night's sleep.

Despite the fact that it will be a quiet one this year, just my husband and me since our son is in Edmonton, we'll still be focused on celebrating those things we have to be thankful for.  I started a wee list yesterday and once I put my mind to it found so much more than I thought.  And our son came up with a wonderful solution to our distancing.... we'll synchronize our dinner time and eat together on Zoom.  

Hope I see some familiar names with us today...and maybe some new ones.  So welcome and, despite the reason we are all here together, what are you most grateful for as we head into this Thanksgiving weekend?
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @cbot How are you feeling? 
  • Hi Ladies!  Hope everyone had a great week!  As @Fearless mentioned, there is a definite smell of turkey in the air.  
  • cbot
    Options
    Hi @Fearless - Vol Mod. Doing ok. I'm 2 weeks out from my final chemo and I just went for blood work today in preparation for CT scan next Thursday. Feeling grateful for my son's supoort throughout treatment.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie welcome back.  How are you?
  • Hi Cbot and Fearless! 

As we head into Thanksgiving I’m so grateful for the things this cancer journey has taught me about myself and for my faith in God that has kept me together through the storm. 
  • Hi Tinazzie! I sure liked your recent post, it reminded me that some of the smallest, simplest pleasures are the best.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @cbot I remember counting the days to my last chemo. It couldn't come fast enough to suit me.  Looks like they're getting all their ducks in order between the blood work, the scan and you last chemo to hopefully give you that wonderful news we all hope for.  And I'm sure that will be the case for you.  You and that precious son of yours will be doing a happy dance soon.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Wonderful thoughts @BeamBlossom How are you?  
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi I am new, just had my first chemo session yesterday. Had a total hysterectomy 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with 1A ovarian cancer.
  • Glad, you are doing well, @cbot!  I'm doing alright as well - had quite a busy week, but I'm thankful for many things.  The big one is that my 1st post-chemo appointment went well.  The CA-125 and CT scan were both good with no apparent evidence of disease!  You can imagine the level of anxiety I had before going in for the appointment and getting the results, so this is definitely a big relief and one of the many things I have to be grateful for this thanksgiving.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to the group @Rad.  I hate to say the words..you're lucky..but have to admit that if you're going to get this disease, catching it at Stage 1, and A, is a best-case.  How was your first chemo?  Are you on a full 6 cycle protocol?
  • cbot
    Options
    Welcome @Rad! Hope you are doing well post-chemo. You will get through it. This is a wonderful forum for receiving support.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie congratulations. What wonderful news.  Yes, we all go in to that first post chemo appointment praying for the best and expecting the worst.  If you're anything like me, your blood pressure was way up there!  So very very happy for you.  It's actually been a great week for doing happy dances for a number of our Sisters.  So that's one thing I've added to my list to be thankful for.
  • cbot
    Options
    Yes, congratulations @Tinazzie!
  • Hello @BeamBlossom
    Welcome to the group @Rad!  I'm so glad you found this forum, as dealing with this disease, especially early on, can be so intimidating.  But you will find a lot of support and even friendships here!