Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• @Fearless - Vol Mod I hope they will do the same in BC. I am hoping to get my vaccine before I have to drive to Calgary in late April to see my oncologist. 
  • @Readersmaven thanks ! I will look into that to!
  • Good chat today! Have a good week!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well ladies. Time to say goodbye.  Thank you for joining the live chat today.  I had fun today...hope you did too.  Hope you'll continue to join us each Thursday...even if only to say hello.  A wee something to sign off today.  It resonated with me this morning and thought it might with you.  Have a wonderful week everyone.......

• Bye! Thanks and talk to you next week!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THURSDAY, MARCH 18 and WELCOME to today's live chat

Wow, we're now on daylight savings time, St Patrick's Day has passed us by, and Easter is on its way. Covid-19 vaccines continue to be administered, all in the face of the start of a 3rd wave of the virus.....the unknown being how little or big that will be.  I try not to think about a new lockdown pending and that the continuing build up of the herd immunity will see us through this one.

It struck me yesterday that I'm now in my fifth year of this disease, and really how good my life is these days even though I'm back in treatment.  There have been so many silver linings, for me, that I would not have in my life were it not for this disease we all share.....one of which is getting to know all of you and the rest of the magnificent women here on OvD.  The way you all manage with such courage and resilience, yet make the effort to support others with their challenges is truly inspiring.  Have you discovered any silver linings that you might be comfortable sharing with us?

Finally, a reminder this coming Wednesday (the 24th) is the next offering in the new OCC speaker series.  For me, living with this disease is one part physical and one part emotional, the latter being addressed by speaker Jennifer De Wet Turner.  You may remember her from the symposium last fall.  This one is a two-parter, the 24th focused on Emotional Healing and April 21, the second part, focused on Living with the Fear of Dying. I will post more information and the link to register in a discussion thread later today.

WELL lovely ladies.......time to chat....who's with us today?  

• Good Day @Fearless - Vol Mod .  It seems like forever since I was able to actually be here in person (so to speak).  I have been reading all the stories and catching up on everyone.

My Silver Lining has been the friends that I have met while on this journey.  It is so amazing to be able to share feelings, anxieties and celebrate victories with those who actually know the journey.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm @KarenBemi @Readersmaven Happy to see youre with us today. How are all of you?
  • Hi All! Dreary day here, but spring is coming! 

@Fearless - Vol Mod I'm in the process of sending you an email, look for it shortly.

I've signed up for the webinar, I have found many webinars to be so helpful , even if they only confirm what I know. 
  • I may get kicked off my computer soon but I will continue to check for updates on my phone.  I am in the middle of a major program install and I have to restart when it is done.  It has been going on for 45 minutes so far

How are you doing @Fearless - Vol Mod, Are you having a good off week?

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi
    It is great to "see" you again and I couldn't agree more. Especially sharing the victories...we need to do more of that with each other.....even the wee things...a good interim CA125, a day feeling especially good, a longer walk than usual...every little bit is uplifting.
  • I have signed up for the speaker series as well.  I do remember her from the symposium.  I look forward to learning more.
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    good morning from the west coast!  We have had a lovely few days of sun.  Flowers blooming the cherry trees are out in blossom.  
    my silver lining is putting everything into perspective.  What is really important to me, family and friends. I also hae found myself thinking about all the positive things that have happened in my life.
  • Rad
    Options
    HI ladies, nice to be here today.Nothing new for me except I had genetic testing last week  and results will be back in 3 months, I am hoping it will come back negative. @Fearless - Vol Mod how is your treatment going?
  • @Rad will keep my fingers crossed for good genetic report! My daughter's report came back couple of weeks ago and it was negative, I had a huge sigh of relief on that.  I was quite worried that she could be BRCA+, lime me and I wouldn't be here for her.
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    i agree.  the people Ive met through this process have made a big difference.  Just not being alone.  Being encouraged and supported. huge

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi yes, it is one of those wonderful "off " weeks. Back to chemo next week but I have been feeling especially well since early last week.  I just hope this is how I'll be feeling longer term once the chemo is over. I really haven't felt this good in a long long while.  
    Great to hear people are signing up for the next Speaker Series session.  Signing up for the 24th will mean you get a link to the second part automatically....so hold April 21 in your calendar as well. That topic is something we tend not to talk about much or even acknowledge but is so important to address.  I'm looking forward to both.  

• It has been rather dreary here in Toronto today too.  When I got to work today, I almost turned around and went back home.  Something was preventing me from coming to work today...But I pushed on...

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    And I see Rad has joined us again this week too.  How are you @Rad?

• gaylestorm
    Options
    I have a off topic question.  With the possiblity of travel opening up again, does anyone know of a insurance company that covers overain cancer?
  • @Rad - Good Luck with your testing.  I wish for only positive results
  • @gaylestorm - I don't know what you mean.  How long are you planning on travelling?  Are you still in treatment?  I believe that insurance will cover many things including existing conditions but it would depend.  If you are planning on receiving treatment elsewhere, no, it will not cover that.  If you have an emergency, yes it will but OvC is not usually considered emergency.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @gaylestorm I do recall an information session a year ago or more and I think OCC ran it on travel insurance for cancer patients.  It's a good question. I'll raise it with OCC and see if they have anything on the topic they can share with us.  And I'll post a Discussion Thread on the topic...who knows, some of our members might be in the biz or have recent experience.  Thanks for raising this one.
  • I had a CT scan yesterday to evaluate concerning lymph nodes. I'm hoping there is no other disease progression, i have an appointment on Monday do not long to wait.

I've been referred to a radiation oncologist in London, and have had an initial discussion with him. So far I'm feeling very confident about him.  He's already booked appointments and has followed through on everything we discussed. If disease has progressed and I need to resume chemo, he said not to worry we just cancel radiation treatments. 

So at least I'll know what's next on Monday. That brings a lot of calmness to my mind. 
  • Hi everyone....greetings from the East Coast!

• @Readersmaven I am glad that you have been getting some answers.  
  • @Tinazzie - how are things out east...Did you fair the snow storm well this week?

• Nice to be here today, after a couple of misses!  Glad to find you all feeling well and looking forward to next steps, nicer weather and longer walks!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Glad to hear someone has good weather.....I'm also dull and gray here. Some rain last night so at least it's cleaned up that last bit of dirty snow.  I agree @KarenBemi, it can be hard to kick start yourself on days like this.  @Rad I do hope you test negative. I did as well. And so glad @Readersmaven that your daughter is negative. That must be a huge relief for her future.  

• Rad
    Options
    My silver lining has been connecting with this wonderful group of ladies, appreciate the little things  and trying to live life to the fullest every day .