Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Readersmaven I'm so glad the London Radiologist was able to ease your mind and you're happy under his care.  Let's hope the CT shows no progression....lovely the wait for results is a quick turnaround. Gosh I just hate it when there's a huge gap between test and results.....it's so easy to say, don't think about it...much harder to do, eh. 

Hey @Tinazzie great you made it today.  

• @Fearless - Vol Mod updated travel insurance info would be great... I've been fantasizing about a beach vacation and knowing about what's available would be a first step once we can travel...maybe next winter! 
  • Rad
    Options
    @Readersmaven glad to hear your daughter test is negative and @Fearless - Vol Mod happy that you are feeling alittle better. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Question for all. Has any one noticed the font size on these comments is now very small print? Or is it just me?
  • KarenBemi
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    Just you.  I have not noticed a change
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod can't daddy I've noticed change in font size but I read on my phone so it's always small!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hmmm, I must have done something then.  As Moderator I have access to all the back-end functions so must have altered my font size by accident when I was exploring the functions a while back.  Not a big deal other than I have to use my glasses now.  
  • Things are not too bad on the East Coast at this time - but expecting another snow system tomorrow morning - just before spring officially arrives on Saturday!

@Readersmaven - glad that you're feeling more at ease now that there has been some "action" and questions answered with respect to your treatment! 

I have several follow up appointments lined up as well.  Have still not made much progress with respect to how I feel physically.  Mostly related to my back and not the cancer - but recently, have been experiencing quite a bit of discomfort in the abdomen, so, kind of worried about that as well.  Appointment with Gyne-Onc next month.  Will try to request getting blood-work with CA125 done before that.  I hope they agree because typically the CA125 has been a good marker for me.   
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Anyone get their Covid-19 vaccine yet? I can't wait. I think, here in Ontario, it will open up to those in cancer treatment and our caregivers in April. 
  • Not on list yet. I read that cancer patients would be part of phase 2 but haven't seen anything on that yet
  • I took my dad to get his on Monday (he is 80)...but none for me yet.  Because I am currently not in treatment...I am at the end of the line for vaccines...  I am glad for all of you that are, that you will soon be able to get it
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie Sorry to hear your back is still bothering you. And now some abdominal discomfort eh?  I get that from time to time. Used to worry about it....but now realize it comes from one of two things....the adhesions I have from surgery. Many of them are attached to my colon. Or I do some dumb thing and eat what I absolutely shouldn't. Last time I went TexMex....never again! But never slough off anything that could be a symptom. Always let your treatment team know and like you Tinazzie, the CA125 is actually a pretty good marker for me. If I were you I would definitley ask my Onc to include a CA in your blood work before your appointment. If nothing else it will help put your mind at ease.

• Rad
    Options
    @Tinazzie hope your appointment help to answer your questions about discomfort in the stomach and that your gyno/onc has a plan to manage whatever results come back ,stay positive. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi so glad you were there to help your dad get his.  I'm hearing stories about the over 80's and so many who still live on their own having challenges booking or getting to appointments.  If anyone didn't notice, I posted some notes from a webinar on the Covid vax topic I attended a week ago.  Not that I have ever had any concerns about getting vaccinated, other than whether those in treatment could have the vaccine, I found it quite enlightening.  I posted my own notes and the link to the actual one hour recording.

• No trouble with the font size at my end.   No Covid-19 vaccine either.   :( 

Yes, worrying about our daughters and their current and future health is so hard.  I did genetic testing as well, and am not BRCA.  That was a relief knowing that this was one less thing I'd have to worry about concerning my daughter's health (she already has fibroid issues).  However, like so much else that is still unknown about this disease, I also had other unknown variants, for which we don't much or any information on at this time.  
  • Because My dad doesn't have a computer...or a smart phone, I actually had my hubby go online first thing in the morning to book an appointment through the Durham Portal...It took us 3 days to get an appointment because they were gone so fast but otherwise it was good
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie when I had my genetics done, post surgery, it never occurred to me at the time that had I tested BRCA positive my son might have been at risk. We don't hear much about it but men get breast cancer too. I just thought, since he's an only child, I was really doing it for me and maybe my cousins.  In any event tested negative and then like most I've heard from, I had a couple of unknown variant too.  

• Rad
    Options
    Ladies thanks for all the information on genetic testing and positive vibes for every one in treatment and those that have follow up appointments. Hope everyone have an awesome weekend!!!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well lovely ladies....it's time to sign off again.  We'll, of course, be back next Thursday so hope to see you with us. In the meantime, have a wonderful week...full of good weather (even an easy snowfall down east for Tinazzie), and full of good news for everyone.

Enjoy Emotional Healing on Wednesday....I'll look forward to everyone's feedback.

So signing off now. Wishing everyone a wonderful week ahead, full of good weather and good news.  Until we meet again..... <3
  • Yes, you're absolutely right, @Fearless - Vol Mod. I have a son too, and didn't automatically think of him at that time of my testing.  I had ovarian and breast cancers, and the inherent risk also of pancreatic cancer. So, yes, definitely relieved for both my son and daughter that it wasn't BRCA.   
  • Have a great week everyone.
  • My internet dropped so I missed the end of conversation. Talk to you all next week 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25 and time to say WELCOME once more.

We're a few days into spring officially now and I'm so excited that so far, where I am, we can really feel it. Almost record temperature today of 20C and if we live up to the forecast and the sun stays shining and the sky stays blue I think it might be a good time to christen the convertible and put the top down for a drive in the country after our chat today. 

Very informative session last night.  It was wonderful hearing what we feel put into such insightful words by a professional who has also walked in our shoes.  Hope you completed the survey. Look for the link to the video if you missed it, or want to review portions.  I'll post it here when it's made available.
    I'm truly looking forward to her follow up session, Living with the fear of dying. As Jennifer touched on last night, the subject is almost taboo to raise but so important to our emotional well being. Let's face it gals, with or without cancer it's a reality for everyone. I've earmarked it April 21st on my calendar.

A tip for all when you're eligible and booking your Covid vaccination. Do consult with your oncologist before you confirm.  I booked mine last week, doing my own calculating on what I thought was optimum timing only to find out, in consultation with my oncologist, that I needed to move it out.  I had tried to follow the recommendation to book within a 3 or 4 window of starting a new cycle but there were no appointments so I opted for booking what I thought was well past the end of the cycle but that, according to her, would not have put my immunity at an optimum level.  So we recalculated and I was able to change it. That said, my second treatment each cycle is a bit of a booster but not critical to the success of my chemo so she opted to cancel it altogether to really optimize the effect of the shot.  In her words, weighing the risk of missing that one treatment with the risk of my getting Covid was a no brainer....opt for the Covid protection first.  I"m lucky to be in a position to do that.  Whatever the case for you, do ensure you consult with your oncology team.  And for anyone using the Ontario online portal, it's far easier to change your appointment online than it is to get the first one booked.  So don't worry about goofing up and having to change it like I did.  In fact, I was able to do it right in the doctors office on my iPhone in 2 minutes. 

Well enough said by me today....this is your time too ladies and can't wait to here what all of you are up to and how you're all feeling today........LET'S GET STARTED 

• My first time to the Thursday discussion.  Just interested to see how it works.
  • Hi all,  great session last night. I really found it helpful!  Definitely looking forward to next session. 

I'm currently at the London cancer centre, waiting to see radiation oncologist and then will have a mapping scan. Glad to be starting the process. Fingers crossed,  treatments should be finished mid April.... then bring on summer! 

I will likely pop off and on depending on how long I wait to see dr .... hope everyone is enjoying lovely weather. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Welcome @Turtlegirl. So glad you thought to join us today.  We often start a bit slow.  Participants often join in progress as there is no pressure to be here at on the dot, or even to participate if one doesn't feel like doing anything but "listening".  It's very free flow.  But always love the perspectives of new members so feel free to jump in if you feel like it and about anything. You might also find the platform we use a bit slow and disjointed. Something we're trying to fix as it isn't really built for live chats, so bare with us if you have to constantly refresh for updated comments or they don't always appear in logical order.  Most of our regulars have gotten used to it.  
    Did you attend the Speaker session last night on Zoom? I recall you participated in the Symposium in the fall.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Glad you could make it @Readersmaven and so happy you're making progress on getting that those radiation treatments underway. Keep us posted on your progress and I do hope it all goes well today and moving forward.  Pop in and out as frequently as you wish to today. Just glad you popped in at all.

BTW, they are going to do a follow up on Monday, only for those who attended last night....to catch anything that there might not have been time to address in the Q&A at the end.  So look for a confidential link.  Very nice of Jennifer Turner to offer to do this for us.

• Not seeing any discussion so will sign off.  Perhaps I have not figured out how it works!
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies good to be here today on this beautiful 20 degrees sunny day.@readersmaven all the best on your appointment today.@Fearless I saw yesterday that over 50 years old and in hot spot region(thats me) will be able to get the vaccine in April,also I  finished my last chemo 25th January 2021,so I am hoping I will be okay for the covid vaccine 
  • I got my Covid-19 vaccination yesterday, in Montreal.  I'll be turning 65 this year, so they consider me to be 65 already.  As for side effects, I just had a slight headache, a bit of a sore arm and a little tired, maybe. 
    I got the Pfizer, and my second shot will be mid July!  What July??!!  The original plan was to get the 2nd dose after 3 or 4 weeks. I signed a petition about that.  The petition says that we are all guinea pigs in an experiment, well yes, I suppose it's wise for the government health authorities to keep track of all this.