Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• melissa
    Options
    Fear not @JoanEG, like last time I will be using my magical powers to absorb some anxiety from you. Expect to feel less anxious as they roll you to the operating theatre. All kidding aside, positive energy your way, you're doing the right things to prep as best as you can. Before you know it, the surgery will be behind you B)
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    Your welcome @JoanEG We are all glad we can provide support along the way.
    Today in Ontario, we are to reach 17 degrees.  Looks like the fog has lifted and sun it out. My hubby is home today (planned) and it is his bday.  I baked a cake this morning and it is cooling.  Hoping to get out for a walk today as well to enjoy that sunshine.  I know Mother Nature is playing with us and will have that weather turn back to more seasonable temps but will enjoy it while it is here!
    Hope you can get outside today as well. <3
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @Strongwoman how I long for warmer days!  We had a bit of snow yesterday and it is cold this morning but the sun is shining and I know the snow will melt away in no time.  Enjoy the day in the sunshine with your hubby!

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    That is a beautiful pic!  Thanks for sharing @JoanEG
    Yes, I will.  I think he is having a nap today......that is okay.  I have lots of things to do while he is napping!.
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @melissa thank you!  I feel the anxiety melting like the snow!  😁
  • melissa
    Options
    @Strongwoman thanks. I have much confidence in the nurse who read me the report so I am content for now. I found out my dr is away for 2 weeks so she will officially give me the results on the 14th.

I am happy with the NED status but not as elated as I thought I would be. I think I am just being cautious with my emotions....if that makes sense. The hubby is happy and wanted to celebrate so I'm giving him that. I think I have set a celebration goal in mind so WHEN I reach 6 months no recurrence I will allow myself more room to enjoy.

You are right though, I should enjoy myself and I do. We are trying to plan to head to Florida for a week or so. As I write this my mother in law is upstairs taking her suitcase out of the closet lol. I think that's my cue to get the ball rolling with travel arrangements  :D

Enjoy your hubby's birthday ( and cake) :)

@GloHo I hope your appointment with your Onc goes well

I'm off for a walk

Happy day to all xo
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies.   How does today find each and every one of you?  Today, it is a bright but cool sunny day in Ontario.  My parents will arrive today from Belleville and hopefully they had a nice drive down.  
    I managed to get to Toronto last weekend with hubby.  We took the train down from the Bronte station. It was nice to go on the train.  I found it quiet and roomy.  From there, we walked, had a bite to eat and then found some vinyl stores to peruse through.  We walked some more and then back to train station. We got off on the wrong stop and had to wait another half hour but oh well, we finally got to the right stop off and home we went.  I was pooped!  My phone said that we walked 11.4 km that day.  I did ok as most of it was flat. The stairs to the station were a biggy and my legs didn't want to cooperate well but I made it!  When we got home, I put on my pj's, made myself a cup a soup and into bed I went.  I was so exhausted. I slept 9 1/2 hours that night.  Hubby was happy and enjoyed the day and that is all that matters to me. 
    Other than that for me, family/friends with some health issues that have made for an interesting week.  Think we are getting to the other side of that now.  I watched my great niece do her swim lesson on Tues night.  It was cute, as she kept shouting my name and pointing to me and telling her instructor who I was.  LOL  Then, I gave her (4 yrs) and her brother (2 yrs) a little goody bag with craft stuff and of course.....chocolate!   They were over the moon!  Made it all worth while to see their faces.  Went to see my gf this morning and her adorable 7 mos old baby girl.  I hadn't been there in a few wks and thought I had better go before she "forgets" me. LOL  Her parents ended up coming so we snuck out for a coffee and bite to eat while the little one was napping.  That is my week in a nutshell. Doing my best to put positivity into it with all this other nonsense going on in a lull in the background. 
    What about the rest of you?  How is everyone doing?
    Is everyone receiving the email notifications now that there are messages there?  If not, kindly let me know so we can ensure that this bug has been fixed. 
    Thoughts go out to our Teal Sisters @Eileen @HoldingOn and @Taita  May they all be pain free and in peace.  o:)

• GloHo
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    Hi. Glad to hear your hubby enjoyed his TO vinyl tour. Sounds like it was a nice day overall. I hear and feel you re stairs!! Good you got so much sleep…amazing how our body takes care of us as needed…we just need to listen to it. 
    Sorry to hear you have also been dealing with others health issues too. 
    I had my assessment appt on Monday. Went smoothly. So far I have passed all medical testing criteria. There is a trial available for me. It’s Phase 2. The sponsor is 23andMe. It is an immunotherapy study targeting CD200R1. The drug is 23ME-00610. 
    I now have a screening appt for next Friday. More tests (blood, ECG, ECHO) and a CT. I will also need a biopsy and the request has been submitted for that. 
    I think the only thing that may put a wrench in this would be whether or not the CT shows difficulty in obtaining tissue sample via biopsy. I think I’ve read that others have had that issue so I’m keeping it in mind but hoping that won’t be the case for me. 
    So…still waiting to see if this is actually going to move forward. Once the biopsy is done, the trial can begin. 
    The financial support provided by PMH is amazing. They will cover accommodation and gas. The trial has a small stipend for parking…but enough that it will cover my costs for that. The only thing I am really out of pocket for is the pet fee 🤣🤣. Yes…hubby and puppy accompanied me!!
    The hotel had a very generous medical rate for accommodation and parking and they are not even at maximum allowed thru hospital. Amazing! Grateful! 
    I am preparing a journal entry for clinical trials to cover what I’ve been through so far…without the bitching and venting I was able to let out on this site 🤣🤣. I just want to make sure I am not breaking any confidentiality rules by sharing specific info about the trial. In any case, I will post about my personal experience throughout the trial. 
    Beautiful sunny day here in Ontario. Hoping to get puppy out to dog park for some serious exercise. She’s already had two good walks today…but she is like the energizer bunny. She is resting now but will be ready to go-go-go when she wakes!! 🐾
  • GloHo
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    I am now receiving notifications in my in box. So looks like everything is up and running as normal. 
  • Hooodith
    Options
    I didn’t get any email notifications today.
  • melissa
    Options
    It's weird, I get some notifications in my regular email box, and other go to spam
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @Strongwoman I’m getting email notifications. 
    It’s been a pretty quiet week around here.  My sister is coming to stay on Sunday.  She will take care of my dogs while I am in the hospital and then help me when I get home.  I’m looking forward to getting the surgery over with. 
  • Hooodith
    Options
    I wish all my Teal Sisters a Happy International Women’s Day. One day we will be free, all over the world. 
  • JoanEG
    Options
    Happy International Women’s Day to my Teal Sisters!

• GloHo
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    You ok?
    Well, now I’m bummed. Just got a call that my screening appt at PMH for next Friday has been cancelled. They can’t pull together the three appts I need for that day. So now I wait. They have asked for appointments asap. 
    What bothers me most is that every day without treatment means continued progression! 
    I’ve said this before…it is a well-known fact that stress is not good for you, yet hospitals treating cancer patients seem to be the worst culprits for it!! Annoyed, stressed and frustrated. 
    I need to have a fresh biopsy for this trial. It may be an omental biopsy - have not been officially informed by Dr. Looked it up…doesn’t appear to be any different than the last biopsy I had. I tolerated that well and healed quickly…so hoping for same outcome for this one. 
    Not a great way to start the weekend but tomorrow’s another day. Nothing I can do but wait and hope they can get me in soon. Oh well, guess I try to put this out of mind, wait patiently and employ some positive thinking 😁. 

Have a great weekend everyone. 
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @GloHo that sucks!  Sorry you have to go through all this.
  • melissa
    Options
    @GloHo sorry to hear this. I can imagine the frustration. You mentioned they said they cannot arrange the 3 appointments. Can they not do some of the testing they need to do? Or they only want to do everything one shot. Either way hopefully they move their bums, and you can always call them everyday and annoy the secretary B)
  • GloHo
    Options
    @melissa @JoanEG
    I’m an out-of-towner so they are trying to consolidate things for me. Since they thought they would be able to do it next Friday, I’m hoping it won’t go beyond the following week. 
    I can’t seem to catch a break with this one!! 
    Thanks for your support!! 
  • melissa
    Options
    Oh that's right... In that case I sincerely hope you get the appointment rescheduled asap to reduce travel costs
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @GloHo I hope they can get it put together for you.  It’s such a hassle when you are from out of town if you have to travel back and forth!
  • GloHo
    Options
    @melissa @JoanEG
    Thanks. I know they are trying to make things easier for me but the mental strain regarding a delay is really weighing on me. A delay in the process = a delay in treatment! I think I would have preferred the travel over what I am now dealing with…every twitch, itch, and ache my mind associates with progression. Funny where the mind unwittingly takes us!!! 
    I am holding out hope that things will come together. 😁 
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    @GloHo I was not okay and why I wasn't on earlier.  I went through another obstruction that hit on Thursday. Today, is the day I turned to corner and am more myself and able to drink more and have had some jello.  Keeping to safe things.  
      I hear you on the waiting. It is not good for us.  I am now into month 2 of waiting for a referral to come through for myself.  One month wasted waiting for one facility to get back to my Oncologist and now wait again to get out of another physician's inbox.  I will hope that it comes together quickly for you.  Not good going into the weekend, I totally see that.  The weather won't help with it either.  
    @JoanEG Glad you will have some support when you come home.  When you feel up to it, let us know how you are doing.  It will be a journey in and of itself but you will come through the other side.  
    Take care all,  <3
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @Strongwoman I’m so sorry to hear you had another obstruction but glad you are on the mend.  The weather here today is crazy!  It’s hailing in my backyard but the sun is shining out the front.  I will update you all after my surgery once I feel up to it.  Thank you for your support.  
  • GloHo
    Options
    @Strongwoman
    Sorry to hear you had to go thru another obstruction but glad you’re on the mend. Maybe this will push the Dr to see you sooner? Call and let them know or have your Onc call on your behalf? 
    Yeah…I’m ok. Just have to get these feelings out so I can move forward. Appreciate this platform that allows me to do that. It is especially nice to feel the love and support of our Teal Sisters!! 
    Are your Mom and Dad visiting this weekend? Extra love, support and TLC for you!! 
  • melissa
    Options
    @Strongwoman I am sorry you have had to deal with another obstruction. I'm glad you are on the mend, hopefully this helps you see the surgeon quicker. @JoanEG will be thinking of you Monday .
    @GloHo fingers crossed your appointments for trial preparation happen asap. In the meantime  I hope you find ways to distract your mind.
    @Eileen @Taita may you both be pain free, and surrounded by things/people who bring you joy
  • JoanEG
    Options
    Thank you @melissa 😊🤗
  • Sandi6
    Options
    Hello beautiful Teal sisters,

Reading your posts is so special. I love that everyone shares so much , as it makes this brutal time easier. I’m grateful for all of you! 

I’ve been flat out in bed since my chemotherapy on February 27. I picked up a flu/cold, which really blew up with more severe symptoms than I’ve experienced. At my 2nd doctor’s appointment on Friday, he sent me to the emergency room for chest xˆrays and blood work. Turns out I have a sinus infection and they’re concerned about pneumonia, so I’m on antibiotics and using a puffer which is helping a lot. Feeling much better today! 

Sending love and positive energy to each of you, as you continue to navigate this journey.

Sandra 
  • JoanEG
    Options
    @Sandi6 sending love and positive energy back at ya!  Get well soon. 🤗
  • melissa
    Options
    @Sandi6 glad you're starting to feel better and that the antibiotics are doing their job. Remember to take the entire course even if you feel much better.
  • GloHo
    Options
    @Sandi6
    So glad you’re feeling better. Positive vibes for a speedy recovery!!!