Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Good Morning,
    How is everyone doing today? I can't believe it is only 10 days until Christmas. 
    @Fearless_Moderator
    I am in the west, so 10am works great. I am open to a time change if that works better for some.
    @Strongwoman
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Well, I go my scan results on Friday, and the carbo was not effective, so disappointing, but not totally surprising.
    Started Tuesday on Taxol and Avastin. Not quite sure what to expect, but I guess time will tell. Feeling a little rough this morning, but will get out and enjoy the afternoon. 

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Ladies, it's 2:10 and official time to say goodbye which I will do and see you next week hopefully. But if you want to continue for a bit please go ahead.  I need to get ahead of that storm and get my discount....got two fairly expensive gifts to buy that I can get there and that 20% will pay for the sundries I need to pick up!

Cheers to all. Keep up that knitting ToughAsTeal.  Hope you get good news from your oncologist Taita. Strongwoman, Happy Birhday in advance and  keep up with your pearls of wisdom but continue to be mindful of yourself first. Hope2022 so sorry I have to go but hoping for you that you tolerate the new treatment with some ease.  

Until next week....
     <3 
  • @Taita
    I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling so good. Were you in the trial where that was comparing the standard dose of Avastin with a lower dose and a chemotherapy drug? 
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @hope2022
      So you are having nicer weather than us here in Ontario by the sounds of it.
    Sorry to hear of your results and how you are feeling.  It does takes its toll on our bodies.  Go with what you feel and rest when you need to!
  • Hi All, I signed in earlier but got a call and so was not able to participate. Happy Birthday @Strongwoman. Good to celebrate earlier and continue with celebration on the actual day. As far as time of the chat. 1 o’clock works for me most times. But I can adjust to majority vote.  
  • Eileen
    Options
    Good Afternoon everyone so sorry missed the chat. I live in the west bc so i sometimes sleep in till 1130 which is 230 your time. I would love a later chat time. Would give me a chance to connect. @Strongwoman happy early bday. 
    For me, holidays yes i live by myself, struggle during holidays. Being forced because of cancer and treatments to stop working and being on persons with disability. My late husband passed away almost 5 yrs ago himself due to lung cancer. At that we found out late lost him 6 months later we had just celebrated our 28 wedding anniversary just prior to him passing away 2 weeks later.

I have no one that comes home. I struggle during holidays as i cannot buy gifts for my older kids and grandkids. My adult children know i cannot afford this, so they took it apon themselves to buy gifts for my grandkids and address it to them from me the last 2 xmas this one included. It makes me so overwhelmed they do this for me.  Being that my kids are older, a number of yrs back we all decided just doing secret santa draw names out of a hat and just picking names so we dont have to buy and spend so much each xmas. Last yr my kids all bought me something each which was emotional. I put in a application form at my councilors suggestion for lower income housing. Which could take yrs. Which all i think is, i might not see that day. Its hard. I try to think of my happy memories but i struggle with the why me question. I find holidays now more stressful as i cannot afford to buy even the slight things i want to give. For me i have everything i want ...my family. I focus on that now. I am so grateful for what i have just to be with them. We always have our xmas get together on 24 of dec.  This yr i spend that and also xmas day with my daughter and granddaughter on xmas day as well. Just spending time with them is comforting. Money is hard the last few yrs, while my hubby was alive i had this strong sense to start putting money aside so i opened 2 TFSA and managed to put some money aside plus some extra in a saving account. Well since i gotten cancer lost my husband that money has kept me afloat. Not much saved but it helped these last few yrs. I only buy necissity things like grocery. Disability helps with médications as i dont really pay for them except any ocassional ones they dont cover all but thats min. I do without luxury in order to keep me going cause lord knows. My disability doesnt pay my whole rent. And what i pay in rent is cheaper than whats out their cause ive been looking.
     I also agree with @Fearless_Moderator it also takes me extra long time to do vacuuming or any cleaning around my house. Being exhausted more and not much enetgy due to constant chemo.  Being my myself it never really gets really dirty other than dishes or floors from my cat or print paws from snow or rain on floors and fur. Or bathroom a bit of laundry. So in one way i am grateful for that. Being by myself i didnt put up any decorations this yr or last yr, i gave all my decorations to my son last yr for the get together we had at his house last yr. I have 2 deer ornaments i put on either side of my tv thats it. Its just i feel too emotional for me to be putting up or down. No one comes to visit not that thats a bad thing given my immune system.
    Other note i had my updated ct scan just last Monday. Had my blood work their last tues only to find out oh no my platelet count is down again no gem wed past. Got the call they are omitting the day15. I was on a good streak though since i started those filmgrastin injections. But the chemo nurse said my oncologist put in an appointment on nov 30 to see me on dec 20. So i assume this time she decided to make sure i saw her right around the time when i see my ct go in my health portal online. The nurse again said to also discuss whether or not a deduction i hope not already had one. Last time they only postponed my chemo. I hope my ct is ok. Well guess i find out in a few days. Well thats my chat for this week and it felt good just to say that and share. Ty ladies your talks help me get on with my weeks.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Eileen I'm so sorry to hear of your financial issues.  I knew from previous posts that you were on your own but disappointed to hear your finances are so tight.  Not that Christmas should be about money and the ability to buy things. Some of my best gifts over the years have been commitments to do something for me; my laundry for a month or babysit my son when he was little, or a long drive on a sunny day around the County. It is good though you won't be alone Christmas Day and you have family to spend time with.  

We'll be on the chat (usual time) again next week so hope you can join us then.  Perhaps  open a new discussion thread called something like Holiday Feelings or whatever and use it to post how you're doing over the holidays. Sometimes writing down how you're feeling emotionally helps and I'm sure there are others out there who share your feelings.  

Thinking of you and wishing you good news when you see your doctor next.  That would be a  great Christmas gift to you and your family.  
     <3 
  • Eileen
    Options
    Well i got great news today even with my chemo delays or omitted chemo days of gemiticibine and Avastan my oncologist was happy to see no new tumors and that my current tumors are still shrinking from my ct results. Im so happy. Other hand i dug out some old crafts supplies and working on some designs for a wall feature. Pictures to come once done. 
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Eileen
    Awesome news! Live in the moment and savour it!
    Look forward to seeing  the pics
  • Taita
    Options
    @Eileen congratulations!  So happy for you.  Good news is always welcome!! 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Eileen what wonderful good news to come share with us!!!  Inspiring for your creativity!  Sending many hugs! 
  • mjmck21
    Options
    So happy for you Eileen!
  • Rad
    Options
    Just want to day hi to all you wonderful ladies. I haven't been on Thursday for a long time because I am at work at that time but I do read all the comments. Healthwise I am doing great, my next check up is in March. Just want to wish everyone a wonderful time during this festive season.If you are in treatment or awaiting results my prayers 🙏are with all of you.This forum has taught me alot and I so admire the strength, determination and hope in each of you.Merry Christmas 🎄 to all you  lovely ladies. Take care, stay safe .A picture of my Christmas tree.
  • Taita
    Options
    Happy Holidays everyone!! I am having a visit with a dear friend shortly so won’t be on the chat today. I am taking a break from treatment over the holidays because it looks like we need to regroup. CA125 results today 202 up to 252. Had CT Scan yesterday and the results are up but I am not looking until I meet with my doctor on the 30th.  She feels while my tumours are stable it is sneakily growing in the peritoneal lining.  I feel amazing and intend to keep it that way over the holidays 😁. Have a wonderful Christmas and hope that we all enjoy an amazing festive season with our friends and loved ones. 🥂🎄🥂
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies!
      @Rad what a beautiful tree. Thanks for sharing.  Wonderful to hear you are doing so well.
    @Taita I would choose a chat with a friend over our chat here too.  It is important to keep up our friendships etc.  You sound like you are content with your decisions regarding treatment and proceeding forward.  I am happy to hear you are feeling well and looking forward to the holidays as well.
    For the rest......where is everyone at?  Emotionally up? down?  In-between?
    Physically?????
    I remain on my roller coaster.  This morning I had a good cry as I wrote the cards to go with the "special" ornaments I bought some that came from the Hospice Tree of Hope.  I gave my elderly Aunt hers yesterday so that we could experience that moment together and have an enjoyable day on the actual day.  We are either going to go get her or if the power goes out here and she has power, I told her the meal is at her house and we will all be in!
    At my Hospice program they gave every one of us a box filled with colourful stones/bead and on top 5 rocks that had words on them.  So, they went on to say each word represents what they see in us as individuals in the program.  It was such a thoughtful and endearing thing to do and to hear what everyone had in there boxes was beautiful as well.  
    Who is ready for the storm that is coming?
    I finished the last of my shopping and errands today.  Tomorrow I will start cleaning, wrapping etc.  I am staying put and letting my eldest take my Jeep tomorrow due to the weather.  I made sure I put in blankets, warmer pair of pants, mitts and toque.  Lord knows he is the one that would leave without his head somedays but thrives running a kitchen!  Who knew?
    I must say, I enjoy when there is a good storm going on.  I like to know everyone is safe but when you go outside, it is serenely quiet.  You don't get the same thing with a rain just snow.  
    I am currently stuck in my new Blundstones as I can't get them off by myself and my youngest is at a work party until 2pm.  So, I have to wait until then to get them off.  I can't wait!
    So, whomever is on, share....good or bad....what's going on?
  • Hi. Have I reached Teal Thursdays? 

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options

SORRY I'M LATE TODAY LADIES.  A BIT OF SHIOPPING BECAME FAR MORE AN EFFORT THAN I'D INTENDED.  BUT GLAD I'M HERE TO WELCOME YOU TODAY....OUR LAST CHAT BEFORE CHRISTMAS DAY AND BEFORE HANNUKAH ENDS.

WHO'S WITH US TODAY?  PLEASE SAY HELLO AND TELL US WHAT'S ON YOUR MIND.......
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @GloHo
      You Sooooo HAVE!!!
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @GloHo
      Remember to refresh your page to get the comments coming in.
  • Ok. Was wondering about that. I kept seeing pop ups...HaHa.

So, I had my first Caelyx/Avastin infusions on Tuesday. Got thru the infusions well. So, far no side effects, unless a slight hoarse voice yesterday and slight sore throat this morning is it? No temperature...used magic mouthwash, sore throat gone.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @GloHo  Yes, you're with us.  To keep the feed of commentary coming through you can do two things.  Usually a black box will appear on the lower left of the your screen when a new comment is posted.  It doesn't last long but if you can manage to click on it your screen will refresh.  Otherwise go to Discussions at the top left, click on it and reclick on Teal Thursdays.  Cumbersome as this platform wasn't designed for live chat but we're working on some changes that might help the flow of conversation in the new year.

All of that said, how are you today?  What are your thoughts about the upcoming weekend?  Will the expected storm impact you much?
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @GloHo
      That is wonderful to hear.  Are you feeling a little more at ease now that the unknown component of treatment is done?
  • Chemo has certainly screwed up my holiday plans though. My blood count is going to be low over the holidays, so will be staying home. Probably just as well, since my son has his in-laws, et. al., over too. The kids are planning on coming to our place for New Year's (YAY!!). I will be much more relaxed at home. I know I'll have whatever I may need in the event something pops up and being close to my care team will provide some peace of mind, too.
  • I am definitely feeling better now that we are DOING SOMETHING. That waiting in the unknown void is torture!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @GloHo your side effects from the infusions sound similar to what I experienced; especially the hoarse voice (my husband said it sounded sexy LOL) and the sore throat.  I used a baking soda in lukewarm water as a gargle and that helped me although generally the sore throat wasn't sore enough to need to do much for it.  Hope that continues to be all you experience from the infusions but do remember to slather cream on hands and feet.  It will help if your skin begins to dry out and keep any sores at bay.
  • I am trying to get better at "living my life" during all this. It has proven difficult because I am being so careful with all that is going around right now. Baby steps...
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @GloHo baby steps are fine. There's no need to rush anything.  Just set your own pace and do what's comfortable for you.  
  • @Fearless_Moderator
    I wasn't sure about the sore throat, so I did the gargle with the baking soda/salt/water mixture just in case. I should be using it anyway to keep the potential mouth sores away! I started slathering my hands and feet about a week ago because I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to have some sort of reaction to the cream...I didn't want to be guessing at whether it was the cream or a side effect. 
  • I think you mentioned that you had participated in a clinical trial...right? In general, how did you find the process, commitment, etc.? 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @GloHo LOL it is crazy that we often can't distinguish a legitimate side effect from and effect caused by something not at all cancer related. Good that you tested out you cream first though.  One never knows, even with the hypo-allergenic stuff.  

Sorry to hear treatment has screwed up your Christmas plans. Do you know for sure your neutrofils are dropping?  I had expected to have immunity issues when I was on the drugs but every blood test came back with my WBC's and RBC's all in the acceptable range.