Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Eileen congratulations what wonderful news!! So happy for you. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    I don't normally comment in between our live chats but just had to do the Snoopy Happy Dance for @Eileen and her great news.  Yes, we are all here to commiserate, listen, offer help and information but gosh it gives me so much joy when we have an opportunity to celebrate with one of our Sisters.  Add to that, it's Easter Sunday and where I am  the temps are mild, the sun is shining and the sky is a robin's egg blue.
    Great news Eileen...now go enjoy that camping trip even more. 

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options

APRIL 21 and another Teal Thursday is upon us.  So welcome to whomever is joining us today.

Sorry I missed last week but it looks like you gals fared very well.  I always enjoy our chats when the conversation is balanced between issues about our disease and just life in general.  It was lovely hearing everyone's excitement over their plans for the Easter weekend.  My own was quiet. Just the two of us. But really we've deferred to next week when Tyler will be home for a short drop in. I can't tell you how excited I am to be driving up to Ottawa on Tuesday to pick him up at the airport.  We've got a lot to cram in in the two weeks he'll be here, much of which we'd planned for when he was home over Christmas but that lockdown got in the way.  Might even make the trek to Syracuse to hit Dinosaur BBQ for an early dinner, weather permitting. 

So how is everyone today?  I'm sure you all noted that Eileen posted some wonderful news the other day.  ToughAsTeal, who's usually a mainstay on these chats won't be with us today. Back in for a new chemo.  Hopefully she'll be with us next week and can update everyone. In the meantime let's all keep her in our thoughts that this new regimen will have the desired effect.  Did anyone participate in the Speaker Session on Sexuality last night?  Lovely to see a subject that seems so uncomfortable for so many to talk about being raised for it's importance in the quality of our lives. 

Teal Teas' schedule for May is posted on the OCC site, and another reminder that the 2022 Walk of Hope registration site is open now.  World Ovarian Cancer Day is quickly approaching on May 8. It’s a global day of recognition - a day to bring our voices to the forefront and demand attention. In this month's Seeds of Hope, OCC CEO Tania Vrionis details the power of community, forward momentum, and how together we can reach even more people affected by ovarian cancer, others at high risk for this disease, and concerned citizens who know everyone deserves to live their best lives. 

So ladies, who's with us today?  It's going on 1PM so say hello....just wave if that's all you wish to do today...or share a story or ask a question....whatever moves you.......

• Eileen
    Options
    Good morning @Fearless - Vol Mod. Wow Thurs already. Just had my 2nd regiment of chemo on Monday. I hope your visit with Tyler goes extremely well. I pray eveything goes well with @ToughAsTeal new chemo. I will keep her in my nightly prayers. As for me so far so good. No word yet on when I will get the port. No I didn't join the session on sexuality. I guess living by yourself it's like sex whats that? Lol
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Eileen looks like it's just the two of us right now. Miserable weather where I am so perhaps everyone else is experiencing the same and not feeling much like chatting.  Definitely a good time to be curled up in front of a fire with a good book.

Glad to hear everything continues to go as planned for you.  I hope they do get your port surgery scheduled soon. You should find it such a relief if it goes anything like mine did and such and easy process to imbed it.  I barely remember I have one anymore.  I expect the hospital is just playing catch up on more critical efforts now that the pressure of Covid is off, or at least lessened enough to try to get back to normal, and you'll get a date soon.  
  • Hi All, happy to participate today.  I had 3 treatments for recurrence at Trillium Hospital and now had to postpone my CT scan tomorrow because first my husband got COVID and week later I tested positive.  So sore throat and a very runny nose.  But other than that I feel good.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @Bojenka welcome back.  Good old Covid seems to be getting in the middle of much too much these days. You're the third I've heard from this week who's treatment or a test had to be delayed because of exposure.  But on the bright side, non of them or really anyone I've encountered has had much more than some sniffles or extra fatigue for a few days. It was more inconvenience for them than anything....a far cry from what we feared two years ago when this virus hit the first time.  Wondering too if some of us have had it but symptoms so mild or non at all that we didn't even know.

Regardless, hope that scan, when you get it, shows the treatments are having the desired effect on your recurrence. 

• Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    @Eileen
    It is indeed a miserable day out there but I have great hope for the weekend!  My blood, treatment and CT was delayed till Tuesday and Wednesday because of the long weekend so it seems like such a short week!  I left home on the 8th and returned yesterday.  Was a moderator for a panel at a conference in Ottawa last week. Weird to actually see people face to face. Anyways busy couple of weeks.  Crossing my fingers for my CT because my CA125 jumped. I hate the waiting!!!

@Fearless - Vol Mod
    So glad you get another visit with your son. They are the best! How are the puppies doing?
  • Eileen
    Options
    Yes.. I know my oncologist did mention the back up because of covid. The last 2 chemo they started having issues with one arm trying to get a needle in they keep trying to use the same vein. Like ok 3 times. So 1 girl said lets switch arms. Finally. Weather here today miserable here to. Yesterday was gorgeous. Already getting a tan on my chest and arms on sitting outside on my backyard when it is nice. I also been doing alot of ebook reading to pass the time. I do acrylic art but haven't felt up to finishing my one wildlife painting.
  • Thank you @Fearless, I am a bit anxious about the scan but also feeling positive because since I started chemo the pain in the abdomen and right flank disappeared so fingers crossed.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita you are one busy lady.  I"m not sure I'd have the stamina to keep up with you LOL.  Don't get too stressed about one jump in CA, and if I recall it wasn't a huge jump. That result tends to bounce around often for no reason related to the cancer.  So stay positive....easy to say, not so easy to do, right?  But the scan will tell what's going on, so let's hope for positive results...best shrinkage, next best stable, next to that only a wee bit of growth so not aggressive...

Yes, great that Ty is coming.  His hockey season just finished for his team and he has a break between now and end of May when he has to host the World under 18 male and female championships for Hockey Canada. So he decided what better time to take a quick break and be here to celebrate Mother's Day with me.  I am one lucky lady to have a sweetheart of a son like him.  And thanks for asking about the pups....want one...maybe two?  Only kidding. Love them like crazy but they are a major handful.  But they do keep us laughing with their antics most of the time.  
  • Eileen
    Options
    Good morning @Bojenka. So sorry to hear about your family and testing positive for covid. Hope you both get well soon. I pray that your treatment isn't postponed for too long.  I developed covid last yr during my treatment. Yes wasn't fun.
    @Taita. Fingers crossed your ct scan is good. Yes thats my fear non stop when i get ct scans i hate the waiting too. Its great you were able to do your conference good for you.
  • @Fearless…. Going to Syracuse with your son sounds amazing I found spring comes a little earlier in NY state.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited April 2022
    Options
    @Bojenka that does sound promising.  I have one spot close to the psoas muscle that controls range of motion in the hips. Something that was mild issue on the right side for me for the longest time. Now it's disappeared totally so I can't help but think the spot has shrunk or maybe disappeared....let's hope eh?

As for Syracuse, Ty did his Masters in Broadcast journalism there and given it's only 2 hours from our farm it became like a second home for a couple of years..and where we discovered Dinosaur BBQ.  So every time he heads this way I automatically get a craving.  Covid screwed up my BBQ fix the last two years so I hope they have enough food on hand for me this time.   
  • Thank you @Eileen I think having had 3 vaccines has helped in that this Covid feels like a flu.  Yes much different from a couple of years ago when we were so fearful.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Bojenka I agree. I"ve actually had the 4th/booster a month ago.  Played my cancer card to get in at the front. Heck we might as well use it for something positive LOL.  My husband gets his on Wednesday next week.  But I agree all the vaccines in the world won't totally protect us from getting it, but will go a long way to ensuring symptoms aren't as horrible as they were initially and likelihood of dying from Covid is non-existent.   That said, I'm still one of those who masks when out, keeps distance and conscious of sanitizing.  I'm not sure if I'm overly protective or I just got so used to the Covid protocols that I don't feel comfortable without them.  
  • Eileen
    Options
    Oh thats great news to hear @Fearless - Vol Mod that your son is hosting the hockey championship for male and female under 18. I hope you both have a wonderful visit. How old are the pups now. Yes i don't miss raising pups. Did that yrs ago when my kids were young. We raised Siberian husky.. For a few yrs. Now i just have my little shit tzu 
  • @Fearless… so glad to hear your pain has disappeared also.  Very encouraging.  My oncologist was quite surprised when I told him the pain is gone.  Generally my symptoms have been such whispers.
  • Eileen
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod I am the same way wear masks,keep extreme distance do online shopping rather stay home than be out.
  • @Taita .. you are traveling.  I really miss traveling.  Retired a year ago. So started to plan a trip after my treatment ends in June. 
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod
    I didn't know your son was involved in hockey.  It was our life for 50 plus years.  Between my husband being a level 4 referee and a player (until his mid sixties) and our athlete daughter winning the Women's Ontario Championships (20 years ago LOL!) we were always surrounded by it. We stopped going to NHL games years ago and prior to Covid we always went to the Junior games in the area and managed to get to the World Juniors a few times.  Much better hockey IMHO!.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Eileen pups are just under 6 months.  Born November 13 last year.  We are told that at the 6 month mark they become much more trainable....hmmmm, we'll see.  Fortunately we have a kennel down the road with an excellent trainer so if a pro is needed we'll go that route.  Our first dog, years ago was a llasa apso so much like your pup.  "Fearless", yes that was his name that I've borrowed for my screen name here, was just the sweetest thing.  Had him 18 years before he just had a stroke one day and didn't wake up.  
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Bojenka
    Yes travelling a bit but not too far.  Took my second flight to Ottawa from Toronto last week.  I will tell you I am a big Air Canada fan but from all reports Pearson is a zoo!  I flew Porter (also in December) and couldn't have been happier.  Well organized and not too many people. I take the train (which I love) into Toronto every week for my treatment but I don't consider that traveling :smile:  Was hoping to go somewhere warm for just a few days but kept talking myself out of it.  Decided it was better to safe until our big trip in July.  
  • Eileen
    Options
    On no so sorry to hear about your other dog fearless. My girl now is 12 yrs. Seems to now have developed anxiety a bit. My daughter now raises Siberian husky and has her own group now on facebook for husky owners. Sounds like they keep you busy for sure @Fearless - Vol Mod
  • @Taita … it’s nice to have different options whether train or plane.  I enjoy road trips also. Drove to Florida 3 years ago before my diagnosis.  Where is your big trip in July ?
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options

Well ladies, that time again.

For all in treatment, let it be successful and painless!  For those waiting for test results may they all be positive and hopeful. 

Thanks for joining today and hope to hear from all of you again next week.  

Big hugs in the meantime, 
     <3 
  • Eileen
    Options
    Well I hope everyone has a great week ahead. Prayers and well wishes to everyone.
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Bojenka Yes options are good.  We are taking a family trip to Italy for three weeks.  Leave 10 weeks from yesterday (not that I am counting!).  LOL!  

Have a great weekend!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options

IT'S THE END OF APRIL AND OUR LAST WEEKLY LIVE ONLINE CHAT FOR THE MONTH.  SO WELCOME ON THIS THURSDAY, APRIL 28.

You may have noticed on the home page that I have collapsed Announcements of events into one ongoing update that members can look at for upcoming events, dates and links to more information or registration where applicable. Between Teal Teas, Speaker series etc. the home page was getting loaded with  individual announcements so I thought this more efficient and less to take away from the the actual discussion topics.  Please feel free to let me know if there are any activities that might be relevant to members that you're aware of that we can post.  This section is not restricted to just events run by OCC itself or are national in scope.  

To satisfy my own curiosity, if there was a local live support group in your area pre Covid that might have closed or gone to online, are any back up and running again?  Ours, here in the Kingston area, literally shut down but some members stayed in contact and I'm expecting to see a low key, probably outdoor, gathering as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer. Our biggest challenge right now is finding a more permanent meeting solution. The location we used which spoiled us silly with comfortable cosy chairs and couches, a large table and chairs to eat at, and a small kitchenette to make tea and coffee and wash up is no longer available to us. Oh, did I mention it was free?  So we're scouring around for somewhere to replace it for our monthly get-togethers. Rotating among members is not a great solution, since we cover a huge geography (from Brockville through Trenton) so only locations in and around Kingston proper seem accessible to all.  Wondering though what's happening on that front in your local communities, if anything.

Lucky me this week. My son landed safely in Ottawa on Tuesday and I' m now blessed with his company until the 10th when he flies back to Calgary.  I think it's been over 10 years since we spent Mother's Day together.  And, even better, he arrived to a great scan report that I'd received that morning.  While my CA did a wee bump up (200 points), in the grand scheme my CA has dropped from 7500 to 1700 so that's what we will focus on. The blip could well be missing my Avastin treatment last week. But better yet the cancer on my left side has shrunk even more and that on the right is stable with nothing new appearing.  So, being the eternal optimist, I've decided I'm now shooting for at least one more Christmas, and all that's between now and then.  Who would have expected being given a prognosis of 3 years that I'd be in my sixth year of treatment and still looking at a future.  Hence, I stay and encourage others to stay hopeful, even when times seem darkest. 

Beyond all of that, the sun is shining and the temperatures are beginning to warm up a bit. My daffodils are in bloom and my tulips are next, while I see some budding starting on my masses of lilac bushes.  Nothing to complain about here for sure.  

How is everyone else today?  Anything new to share?  Anything we can help with or is today a chance to blow off some steam? Anything we can help celebrate?  Time to sign in and say hello.........

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Happy thursday..
    am in waiting area for chemo. Hopefully no delays. My bloodwork was 1215. Chemo not til 2:45. 
    Still no word about me switching to local small chemo unit.  I have been assigned a nurse with HCCSS (home care).  I can hear the joy in your typing!