Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• To All - Wishing you the very best of the season, it will be a different one for sure but by that very essence, it might be somewhat more charming and memorable too. Hope you are all able to reach out virtually to those you cannot sit with at dinner this year.

Never been so happy to get to New Year's Eve in my life, lets get this year overwith!  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options

It's now 2pm. For those who may need it,   I will be opening the  live chat both Thursdays coming. Not sure if anyone will join in but the chat will be enabled for anyone who is around and wants to connect...even just to share holiday wishes.  In the meantime the regular discussion forums are available to start or contribute to. 

Have a good week everyone.  Stay safe.  Hope to chat again next week but for those we miss, have a happy holiday...think of all that we are grateful for.....start some new holiday traditions....can't wait to see what 2021 will bring us.

Bye for now.....see you next week perhaps.  <3
  • So sorry I wasn't able to be apart of today's chat ladies.  I had my regular once a month Zoom Chat with my Gynecological Cancer Group through Hearth Place.  

I am afraid I lost track of all the conversations that I have just read but...
    @prayersformom - I wish your mom well with her biopsy results.  
    @BeamBlossom Good luck on wednesday at Princess Margaret.

I know there is more both good and bad...and I am sorry for not saying anything directly to everyone.

For those still doing treatments...I wish you nothing but successful, pain and side-effect free treatments
    For those who do not get to spend the holiday's with your loved ones...I wish you peace and happiness through the holiday's in however you are able to spend them.
    To those who live in fear, I wish I could take that fear away so you will have less weight on your shoulders
    To those that are doing well this holiday season, I wish you continued happiness and love.

To all of us ladies, I wish us all peace, love and hope this year.  2020 has not been good but...it could have been worse for people like us.  So, I will take the holiday to reflect on how lucky I am to be able to live my life (as restricted as it is) to the fullest and that I am able to be here in this group to listen to everyone and maybe help a little.

So...If I don't chat with you next week...Happy Holidays to you all.  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @KarenBemi what a beautiful message. Thank you from all of us. Sorry we missed you this week but your sentiments are returned by the group.
  • My mother is being admitted again tonight and going to have the effusion drawn off. Biopsy results are in one week and then hopefully treatment will begin soon after.  Anyone have experience with how long of relief they received from having the fluid drained? Did it come right back? 
  • @prayersformom I'm sure she'll feel better after the fluid is drained. As I mentioned,  I had my first chemo the next day so it didn't return. Hopefully mom will start treatment in not too distant future. All the best to though both. 
  • Just got word that mom had 1.2litres drained from around her right lung and she says she is feeling better 
  • @prayersformom, that is amazing news.  Keeping her and you in my thoughts
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @prayersformom
    Great news.  My first drain was close to 2 litres and right lung also.  Just checked my calendar and it looks like I had the first Thorocentisis March 13.  That lasted a couple of weeks before it started to return, not nearly as bad as it had been but enough that they drained me again at my surgery March 27. That one pretty lasted right up to my first chemo May 2 at which point it disappeared completely (no drain needed) and, so far, has never returned.  
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod thanks so much for all your information. I have not seen her but she told me she feels much better. She is staying in hospital overnight just for monitoring after the procedure. I remember that you have stage 3c. From reading I thought that if there was pleural effusion that could indicate stage 4. What am I missing? 
  • I had pleural effusion and they actually installed a Pleurx that I get drained 3 times a week. It was 1000 ml at first and now it’s about 100-200 ml each time. I had my surgery on Nov 30th and chemo starts Dec 21. I was told that the fluid should resolve itself when I start chemo. The best advise I can give you @prayersformom is everyone case is different so try and remain positive and strong and ensure that you have faith in the doctors treating your mom. They have seen this all before so they know what they to do. I’m sending you strength and positive energy 
  • @prayersformom, @Stayingpositive,  I have stage 3c metastatic OV cancer...I did not have to have my lungs drained but I did have a pleura tube put in my abdomen to drain the fluid...once I started the chemo, the fluid dried up...my pleurex tube was removed when I had my hysterectomy and debulking surgery...I finished my treatment a year ago and have returned back to work...so it does work and things can get better...the holidays and COVID makes it all more complicated for you....try staying positive and strong...I can honestly say I know it's hard to do...
  • Thanks everyone for all your answers. She is home now again and feeling much much better. We are hopeful the biopsy results will be back next week and then we will have a solid treatment plan. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well, it's Christmas Eve day....December 24th....and not sure how many, if anyone, will join our chat today. I expect some of you will be rushing around getting ready for the big day tomorrow...no matter what form that takes.  Hopefully if Christmas is not going to be what you had intended, you've found new ways to celebrate and connect with those you love.

For me a quiet Christmas day with just my husband, our son being otherwise engaged in running the IHHL World Junior Championship hosted in Edmonton.  Team Canada will be defending their title so for hockey fans out there.....GO Canada!  We'll be glued to TSN as the championship starts on Christmas day...turkey drumstick in one hand and an excellent pinot noir in the other.  

And, for the first time ever, the ROBB women will be getting together on Zoom.  OMG, but the 7 of us, all cousins of mine, have never ever been together at Christmas.  So we'll be zooming in from Australia, Florida, Calgary, Halifax, Ottawa, Montreal and me in Kingston.  Hoping this becomes a new tradition for us.

And if you have a moment, drop a holiday greeting to our community on OUR HOLIDAY GREETINGS HOME.  I left my own earlier today.  

So it's now approaching 1pm EST and I'm here.....so for anyone joining today, let's get started.  What would you like to ask, share, reflect on....and if anyone is new to our community, welcome.  
  • Hello @Fearless - Vol Mod - I may not be able to stay too long, so would like to jump in and wish everyone a peaceful, safe and joy filled Christmas.  It’s been a hard year from most of us on some level or another, but hopefully we each found some nuggets of joy and comfort.  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    That's lovely @Tinazzie  Wish you the same.  Today's call might not last too long.  I expected most people would be busy with the holidays.  So I'll stay on a little longer, just in case.  How are you feeling and what are your plans ?
  • Looks like it's just you and me so far, @Fearless - Vol Mod - so would like to take the opportunity to thank you for all your support, advice and encouragement to me and so many of our Teal sisters over the last year!
    I wish you well with your own journey and know that we are all here for you just as you have for so many of us! 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie thank you.  My involvement with OVdialogue just kind of evolved.  I am so glad I can be of help to others but, trust me, I get an equal amount of support back from everyone. 
  • Yes, we should perhaps wrap it up today and finish up a couple of those other pesky "things to .still get done".  Will catch up next week. You have a great Christmas, @Fearless - Vol Mod and hope "Santa" spoils you!  :blush:
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @Tinazzie
    We're twenty minutes in and still just the two of us so I guess I'll wind down today's chat. I guess it's good news that no one needs to connect today.  Have a wonderful weekend, my friend.  I'll be back next Thursday....just in case again.
    Cheers until then.....
     <3 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    Just noticed you've signed in.  How are you?
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi ladies, glad to be here on Christmas eve..Just want to wish everyone wonderful Christmas and may the New Year bring better beginnings for all of us.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    I know your sentiments are shared by most of us.  I always like to think of a new year bringing new possibilities....that's the eternal optimist in me. But so far, I haven't been wrong.  Lots of new research and trials last year that brought new drugs and treatments to the market in 2020. And from what I see going on, 2021 is likely going to be the same.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Well this is it for me today.  @Tinazzie @Rad thanks for joining in today and your good wishes to all of us.  I hear Santa is on his way so I guess he's been designated an essential service.  Have a wonderful holiday...perhaps "see' you both again next week.  

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THE LAST LIVE CHAT OF 2020.....IT'S DECEMBER 31ST LADIES, and the 24th live chat in this series since we started in July. 

Our inaugural group was just 4.   More recently we're averaging 10 signed in online; some original participants, lots of long-term community members but new to our live format, and many new OVdialogue members. We welcome all to join as available and interested, to pop in and out during the chat, to just follow the discussion stream, to participate sharing their own stories and experiences, to raise issues and ask questions.  This community is here for all of you....even if only to provide that often needed virtual hug.  

I'm looking forward to continuing these online sessions into 2021. And as your national volunteer moderator I'll be continuing to work with France on the French site and Tracy at OCC to bring improvements to functionality and capability.   So stay tuned and please don't hesitate to offer your own suggestions on how we can make OVdialogue more valuable to you.  

In the meantime, as the clock turns to 12:01am tonight, I will be most grateful to be able to ring in one more new year since I was diagnosed.  I make no resolutions anymore....I will just commit to continuing my focus on these words that have carried me through the past four years and will carry me through many more to come:

Hope
    Love
    Laugh
    Patience
    Perspective
    Resilience

To all of you, whether you join us today or read this later...HAPPY NEW YEAR.  If 2020 has taught us anything, it's that we are all stronger than we often think we are,  the power of being dynamic and creative and adaptable when things don't go our way and what a "bitchin'" community we have built here.  Together let's make 2021 the best it can be.  

Now....it's just approaching 1pm EST so welcome to anyone who might want to join us today.......

• Hello Fearless, how are you feeling?

• I have a very tender shoulder today, had my port installed this am, its a bit more painful than I expected right now, but the procedure at the hospital was easy peasy.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hey @beamblossom.  So glad to see you here today. I was just thinking about you and the new year ahead for all of us.  

Feeling pretty good.  Cycle 2 Day 1 went just dandy yesterday.  Port had to be delayed until Tuesday next week so IV again. Three tries but at least she was painless...it just takes up time in the chair.  But both infusions...Gem and Carbo were just fine and I was out on schedule for a change. Seems they reduced the dose of Gem to avoid the platelet issue I had after the first time. Thankfully platelets naturally returned to high/normal without intervention.  

Today my usual ok day. If I'm going to have any side effects they'll hit tomorrow. But prepared if they do this time.  Otherwise just sat there yesterday and pictured that little Pacman character chomping away at the cancer cells as the chemo dripped in.  Day 8 on the 6th. Nice to know they can use the port immediately.  And then CT on the 20th just before I start Cycle 3

How are you doing?  Scheduled to start the trial or any pre-testing beforehand?  How was your Christmas...get that turkey cooked for your girls?

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @BeamBlossom didn't realize you were having a port put in. So it can be a bit painful eh?  That's why I was surprised when they told me in the chemo room that they could use it next week. I thought there would be some healing required first.  Not too concerned though. I have a very high tolerance for pain of any kind. I just want to get it done and over with.  Just too bad they can't use it for CT's.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @kattie666 happy, almost, new year.  How are you?