Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• @Fearless - Vol Mod - that's very helpful and encouraging! I do find the twinge escalates when I bend over, otherwise, it feels like pulls, like t was stitched up too tight in one place and that has been there since the day after surgery. Then there is twinges much like what I'd feel after doing too many situps, but in a localized small spot. not all over as it is when it is from the sit ups.     
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod - thanks again as always 

Best wishes for the week ahead to everyone else! 
  • I'm four years past my last chemo and every now and then I still hit a fatigue wall. Like this morning. We went out for groceries, came home and unpacked and had to lay down for ten minutes. Could be weather, COVID fatigue, mild depression or who knows. I still have sleep issues so it could very well be a combination of things, but the fatigue continues in varying degrees.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    And it's Thursday, November 26.   Time to connect live again, so welcome everyone.

Before we begin, just a reminder. Please look at my recent post  "Looking for Recommendations on Commemorative....". I know any topics regarding those who have passed on seems rather taboo to most. But it is a reality of this disease and I can only believe that those who have taken that last journey would be happy to know our survivor group does honor their memories. So if you have a reading or poem or can take some time to search something out that you find meaningful for the OCC staff to share at their Commemoration ceremony next week, please do so.  Just add it as a comment in the Discussion topic. And if you'd prefer to submit anonymously, just privately message directly to @TracyOCC

A topic that we might want discuss today or over the next few weeks is the holidays. The season is fast approaching and even in normal circumstances can be a stressful time. Layer on Covid, and our disease and this year can be exceptionally difficult for some and their families.  Personally, regardless of the impacts on my ability to celebrate as we normally do, I like to think about it as a happy dance that I'm going to be here to celebrate another one, my fourth since diagnosis.  Ten years ago that might not have been possible but by the virtue of great medical care, and new advancements I will not only be here for this one but planning for 2021.  Do any of you have any tips on keeping yourself and your loved ones upbeat, positive, hopeful, celebratory to help others who may be struggling? Would it be useful to open a Discussion topic where everyone can share their plans, tips, feelings about the holidays?  Any thoughts?

Finally how is everyone this week? News to share, issues they need help with?  Today I'm recovering from a biopsy of my tumor tissue. Yes, I volunteered for another study!!!!  When will I learn to say NO? But I have to admit the procedure was far less uncomfortable than my imagination had led me to believe. Just tired from the invasiveness and the meds to relax me (hmmmm, could have used a longer dose of that stuff !!!). And next week start chemo again and determined to knock the ball out of the park as it relates to successfully treating this recurrence.  

It's just coming on to 1pm EST now, so let's get started ladies......who wants to kick us off today?
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @Rad @Tinazzie
    Glad to have you here. I was thinking I'd be by my lonesome this afternoon LOL.  Rad, how did your chemo go. I think last chat you were having your third the next day or have I lost count?  
    Tinazzie good question posed in your latest discussion post. Sorry to hear about your daughter. Have  a few thoughts on the subject but will comment within your discussion thread instead of here. I'm sure there will be others with some experience with fibroids though. 
  • Hello ladies!  Good ideas for discussion, @Fearless - Vol Mod
  • Rad
    Options
    Hi @Fearless - Vol Mod and @Tinazzie.Good to be here today,had my 3rd chemo last Friday and just starting to pull myself out of it.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Thanks @Tinazzie
    Any thoughts on the holidays...think it would be valuable to start a discussion topic people could add their suggestions to?  
  • This year will be different on different levels for almost everyone.  My husband and me were just talking about how this will be our very first Christmas away from both our children in 20 years! Trying my best to stay positive and keeping that gratitude journal close at hand!  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    I take it went well, just the usual fatigue and what not that follows? I must admit I start next week and it's been four years since I went through it. Somehow I keep feeling I sailed through it compared to others, but maybe my memory has scrubbed the awful stuff LOL. How many chemos are you scheduled for.  I"ll be doing minimum 6 cycles, each cycle being a Wed, the next Wed and then a week off.
  • Rad
    Options
    I find I am taking longer to pull myself out of chemo now,gets really weak,no appetite and hate water .
  • Rad
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod I  have 3 more chemo Session to go every 3 weeks. Planning to spend Christmas with my husband and my only child who lives at home.
  • Hope all goes well with your chemo treatments, @Fearless - Vol Mod and that it doesn't come in the way of celebrating the holidays in your own way.  As I've said before, you are so positive and "Fearless" - a true inspiration for many of us!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie
    Same for me.  First Christmas in 33 years without our son here.  We test drove a Zoom Thanksgiving dinner though and it was quite fun, so we'll definitely be doing that with him for Christmas. And love the "keeping the gratitude journal". When it comes to an actual event I often totally forget all the positive things I have to be grateful for...think I"ll follow you and start a journal to record things as they come to mind.
    @Rad
    Yes, it builds up on you over time. Sorry about the appetite. If it's just loss, force yourself to eat something to keep up your strength.  It's so important to stay hydrated. Try to force the water...maybe sparkling instead of flat...flavoured rather than plain...but fluids can come in other forms...popcicles were my favorite, lots of soups.  

• CountryLiving
    CountryLiving Peer Support Vol
    Options

Hello Ladies
    Cleaning my house getting ready to decorate.. will start tomorrow and be done be weekend I hope. Have to fit in and get blood test and xrays to eliminate reasons for post treatment pain. 
  • Rad
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed 2 years ago at age 52 with stage 4 high aggressive prostate cancer and I was diagnosed this September with ovarian cancer so because of our immune system we are not planning on having anyone over.
  • CountryLiving
    Options
    Yes Christmas may be different this year for everyone... time to start new traditions! Hopefully my son will join us as he will isolate for 2 weeks before Christmas. My Mother who is 98 has always had Christmas with family, the last many years with me. Not sure if she can leave her retirement home and if she is safe withus.
  • You're right, @Rad - unfortunately the chemo cycles do have a cumulative effect on the body.  But you'll get through it - you're almost half way there! 

think I'm finally starting to mend from my chemo treatments - slowly no doubt, but getting there.  I seem to be having more trouble with those other issues - like my burning back pain.  I finally got my family doctor to examine my back and she has now referred my for an x-ray, thinking my condition may be a form scoliosis.  
  • Rad
    Options
    Thanks for the tips @Fearless - Vol Mod.Planning to start decorate this weekend and maybe we will have a virtual Christmas. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie
    Thanks for the compliment. I'm really more pragmatic than fearless....I have it, I can't wish it away, so I might as well just buckle down and do what I need to do for me and my family.  But no about impact to the holidays. It actually comes at a good time. My son won't be here so I won't be caught up trying to entertain him. My husband works in the wine industry and he shuts down until March as of this weekend so he'll be home...to annoy LOL.  And since we can't entertain or be entertained, there'll be no pressure to be anything but how I'm feeling over the holidays.  

Hey @CountryLiving
    Glad to see you.  Hope you can find out what's causing that pain and it's easily treatable. Enjoy your decorating. I have to admit that that is one of the single most activites that keeps my spirits up over the holidays and this year I think I'm going to go over the top with decorating. I just LOVE the lights.
  • CountryLiving
    Options
    Thanks @Fearless - Vol Mod  It has been 8 months since chemo and I still suffer from chronic hip and leg aches. Been transferred to survivorship team and have exercises and been followed by physio.  It has got somewhat better but need to rule out some other reasons. Trying extra magnesium, and vitamins to supplement. Yes I love lights too.

• Rad
    Options
    @tinazzie Thanks for the encouragement and I hope the doctors can help you ease the the pain in your back.
  • Hi @CountryLiving!  Glad to see that you too are in the mood to get festive and start decorating. 
    I'm sure there'll many who will go over the top this year!   :) 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Rad
    I'm so sorry to hear of your husbands diagnosis. Wow that's a lot to deal with and worry about.  You're very courageous managing as well as you do and yes, stay home/hibernate/take no risks.  
    @CountryLiving
    So nice you can have your son join you but so sorry about your Mother.  That is one thing that just brings tears to my eyes...the elderly in those homes where they are so often in and out of quarantine. May be some of the gals on OVdialogue will have suggestions to ensure the elderly are not left feeling isolated or abandoned.   I guess as far as her leaving or you visiting you just have to take each day as it comes, the rule changing so often.  Wonder if her residence is doing something for those who can't join their families...that would be nice to know.
    and @Tinazzie
    Oh my gosh, possible scoliosis on top of everything else..I sure hope not and it's something far less serious and more easiy treated. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @CountryLiving
    I just saw your reference to starting new traditions...and wow, now I'm getting excited at all the possibilities.  Every year for 36 years exactly the same dinner that my mother cooked and my grandmother, bless her Irish heart, cooked. This year...hmmmmm....what about a Christmas goose, or roulade of turkey breast or or or?  Maybe this year no exchanges of things we don't need and probably will use once, and use that money to help some family in need more than we normally do...oh the possibilities are endless aren't they?
  • I have to sign off - but wishing everyone a good week ahead.  Will be thinking of you and sending you positive vibes,  @Fearless - Vol Mod  and hope all goes well with the chemo next week.
  • Rad
    Options
    Ladies hope everyone have a great weekend. Love all the Christmas ideas and looking forward to the holiday season ahead!!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Bye @Tinazzie
    Wishing you a good week ahead too and hope to see you next week again.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Bye @Rad
    Wishing you a great weekend ahead as well. Think I will start a Discussion topic to inventory the suggestions from today and see what others might contribute to all of us having the best holiday season, in spite of everything else.  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Almost 2pm and while our participation today wasn't as high as it's been the last few weeks, it was great discussion. Nap time for me so thank you and hope to see everyone next week. Sending positive vibes from the heart of Eastern Ontario wine country  <3