Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Immunotherapy

There is a lot going on in research and development for new cancer treatments, including immunotherapies. I attended a patient summit in Chicago, in August, put on by the Cancer Research Institute (US). It was very informative and they had a researcher at that summit that was particularly focused on ovarian cancer. They are live-streaming a summit on Sept. 23. It is free and anyone can register at cripatientsummit-livestream.eventbrite.com. It will be on Sat., Sept. 23, 2017 from 10:00 - 3:30 EDT. I do not believe that an ovarian cancer researcher will be at this summit, but the general information is worth listening to.

Comments

• Interesting, thanks for letting us  know :smile:

• Thanks for the information @deebus52!  I’m going to try and watch it.  I am very interested in various treatment options! 
  • Yes, i'm in a "PARP" Inhibitor Trial Study. It's in its 3rd trial and shows promise. I go December 23rd for a updated "MRI"
  • @Viperspice.  Hope the MRI goes well!  Will be thinking of you!
  • I'm also on an immunotherapy trial, just finished my third cycle. Checking out whether there's response on Dec 6 with a CT. Fingers crossed
  • I was in a trial for an immune vaccine  called DPS survivac 4 yrs ago.  I did recur this yr  but was impressed.  My first recurrence was only 18 Months.  Did the trial went 4 yrs.   Now on olaparib
  • Hi @Birdvet.  How many cycles will you have in the trial?  Does it carry on after your CT on Dec 6.  How have you tolerated the treatment?

Hi @AndreaB.  Very interesting results with recurrences - 4 yrs vs. 18 months!  Are you still being followed for the trial?  If so, did they make any comment about the length of your remission?
  • Birdvet
    Birdvet Legacy
    edited November 2017
    Hi @Marilyn, I have 4 cycles with 2 drugs ( durvalumab and tremelumimab) and then will continue on with durvalumab alone,for as long as it's working. Yes I still have more cycles after my CT...i guess unless the CT shows things are growing. They did tell me that existing tumours can look bigger on the first CT because of inflammation caused by the immunotherapy..so not to panic...however if there are more..not sure what they'll do .I feel better but I think I'm just happy to be off chemo..brutal and it wasn't working. I've had a low grade nausea, still tired ( may be left over from chemo) but much less so and have had the odd rash but nothing crazy. I hope it works!!!
  • I am not I  the trial anymore it has been 2 yrs now I think. I  have been followed all along as this was at Princess Margaret my regular oncologists office.  
  • Hi @Birdvet.  Glad you are finding it a little easier re side effects.  Hope things go well with the CT!
  • ValP
    edited August 2019
    Does anyone know if this immunotherapy is available in Canada?
  • Hi @ValP.  I started an immunotherapy trial in July, 2019 at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto. It is a vaccine (DPX survivac) plus a low-dose chemotherapy drug (cyclophosphamide).  You could ask your oncologist to give you a referral to PMH to see if you qualify for a trial.  To see a listing of clinical trials in Canada, go to canadiancancertrials.ca.  Under “Refine your search” click on “select a cancer type” and click on ovarian.  Right now it is showing 111 trials in Canada.  You can click on any of these trials and obtain more information about them.  I hope this helps.
  • Hi @deebus52, I'd like to know how the trial is going for you so far. My mom has high-grade serous OC, stage IV, BRCA negative. Responded to 4 carbo/taxol cycles very well the first time, had debulking surgery, had 3 more chemos and declared NED, but after 7 months we found out she had a recurrence, with mets to adrenal gland. Neither carbo/taxol nor caelyx/avastin worked on the recurrence, it just kept on growing, and adrenal biopsy was inconclusive. She now she has another metastasis on her chest wall. Biopsy of that mass shows it's now carcinosarcoma (even more aggressive). Her oncologist suggested  a clinical trial before trying third- or fourth-line chemo options (weekly taxol or gemcitabine).

Today we took my mom to Princess Margaret and she was offered a trial similar to yours, but with the addition of Keytruda to the DPX-Survivac/low-dose cyclophosphamide combo. She is not sure what to do yet... it's all so overwhelming for her. It feels like a gamble... go with an known/tested chemo option that has a 20% response rate, or go with something completely  new that shows promise but that we don't know much about. It would be good to know if any of these immunotherapy drugs on their own, or a combination of them, have better results.
  • Hi @ pattiezee,  I have only been on the trial for 2 months and so far, so good.  An upcoming CT scan will give some feedback as to whether my tumors are growing, stable or shrinking.  Blood tests have shown a reduction in my CA125 level. I am also BRCA negative. I was told that I was not eligible for the trial which included Keytruda because I am still platinum sensitive, so I am on the trial with DPX survivac and low dose cyclophosphamide.  The side effects have been very minimal for me. I just feel a little less energy than usual.  If your mom decides to go on the trial, she would be able to go off it at any time she wishes and go back to the chemo treatment. If the trial is not working for a patient, they will not keep them on the trial, so it might be worth a try. There have been positive results for many patients, but unfortunately not for everyone.  Good luck and best wishes to your mom.
  • Thank you so much, @deebus52 ! Wishing you all the best with this trial! Sounds like it is going well so far. Reduction in CA125 is good sign!