How to Use OVdialogue

MarilynMarilyn mod
edited August 21 in New Here? Read this First

SET UP

Do I need to create an account?

• The posts on OVdialogue are public, so you do not need an account to read discussions. However, to participate and interact with members of OVdialogue you will need to register and sign in with an account.
  • Registering also enables you to see the activities and profiles of other members.
  • Register here and you will receive an email with a link that you must click to validate your address.

What about privacy?

• Your username is how you will be identified on OVdialogue, publicly and to other members. Protect your identity by selecting an alias as your username.
  • For your username, you can use letters, numbers or a combination of both.
  • Rest assured that your name, email address and province/territory will be hidden entirely.
  • For further details, read our Privacy Policy.

Can I change my username?

• Please choose your username carefully as it can only be changed by contacting a moderator.
  • Changing your username will break links in @ mentions tagging your previous username. As a result, members seeking to connect with you based on these tagged posts would be unable to find you as easily.
  • If you require assistance, please email OVdialogue@ovariancanada.org or call 1 877 413-7970.

How do I recover my username or password?

• Click “Sign in” and press “Forgot” when you are prompted for your username and password.
  • For further assistance, or if you cannot remember the email address attached to your OVdialogue account, please email OVdialogue@ovariancanada.org or call 1 877 413-7970.

How do I change my account information?

• You can make changes to your account profile at any time. Go to the wheel icon above the main menu and click “Edit profile.” From here you will be able to make changes as you wish. Additional details, such as your notification preferences, password and profile photo, can be edited in the sidebar. Mobile users may have to scroll down a bit.

How do I change my profile picture?

Profile pictures are public. If you wish to protect your identity, do not use a photo of yourself.
Go to the wheel icon above the main menu and click “Edit profile.” From here, press “Change my picture,” which will be in the sidebar if you are on a desktop or towards to bottom of the page if you are using a mobile device. Click “Upload new picture” and make your selection. Please note that square photos work best.

How do I complete the “My story” section of my profile?
  • The “My story” section of your profile is an opportunity to share a bit about yourself.
  • As part of your profile, “My Story” can only be seen by other members.
  • Consider including what you would like to say to others living with ovarian cancer.

WRITING

How do I start a new discussion?

• Press “New discussion” on the sidebar menu. You may have to scroll down a bit if you are using a mobile device.
  • Make the discussion title as descriptive as possible to let people know what your post is about. This will inspire interest from other members, as well as help search engines find your post and bring more people into the discussion.
  • Choose an appropriate category, either one with a relevant category name or one where similar posts are often made.
  • Ask for responses if you are looking for them. If you’d like others to comment, invite them to do so. One way to do this is by ending your post with a question.
  • You will receive a notification if someone comments on your discussion in accordance with your notification preferences. Be sure to check your preferences to be kept informed of activity.

How do I help others to get the most from my posts?

• Proofread your posts to prevent typos and errors that can get in the way of people understanding your message. This is particularly important when auto-correct is enabled on a mobile device.
  • Formatting can make your posts visually interesting. Use the icons in the format bar to assist with layout or to add files and emoticons. But remember, sometimes less is more. Avoid over formatting to keep users focused on your message.

Can I use content from social media?

• Absolutely. To embed a YouTube video, Pinterest pin or Tweet, simply cut and paste a link and OVdialogue will embed it for you.

How can I ensure specific members see my posts?

• You can tag specific members when you see posts that would be of interest.
  • In the text field, type @ immediately followed by the username of the member you have in mind. There should be no spaces between @ and the username. A dropbox will appear for you to select the member you wish to mention.
  • You can do this for as many members as you wish, typing @ immediately before each username.
  • The members you’ve tagged will receive notifications in accordance with the notification preferences they’ve selected.
  • The tags will also become clickable to enable other members to see related profiles, and potentially reach out.

How do I send a member a private message?

• Open sharing is encouraged on OVdialogue. However, if there is a private matter, you can send a direct message to one or several members. Moderators can be included, if necessary.
  • Above the main menu, click the mailbox icon and select “New message.” From there, start typing usernames in the Recipients field.
  • If there is just one member you wish to contact, you can go to their profile page and click “Message.”

Where are my drafts?

• Drafts are automatically saved and can be accessed here.

How do I edit or delete something that has already been posted?

• Once a post is published, OVdialogue only allows 15 minutes for edits. Beyond this time, you must contact a moderator to have something deleted.

WHAT’S WHAT

What is a bookmark?

• Bookmarks are used to mark discussions for future reference.
  • If you find a discussion particularly helpful, you can use a bookmark to easily return to the discussion at any time.

How do I use bookmarks?

• To the top right of every discussion title, you will find a star icon. Press the icon to bookmark the discussion.
  • Access your bookmarked discussions by clicking on the star icon above the main menu.
  • Remove a discussion from your bookmarks by clicking the star icon of a bookmarked discussion.
  • If someone comments on one of your bookmarked discussions, you will receive a notification in accordance with the notification preferences you’ve selected.

FURTHER INFORMATION

If you have additional questions about OVdialogue, please email OVdialogue@ovariancanada.org or call 1 877 413-7970.

Comments

• Where can I find the My Story section in my profile?
  • Hi Karen.  You should find it just under the box where you enter your last name.
  • Thank you for the helpful tips. So pleased this resource is almost ready to launch!
  • I like the read here first tags - is there any way to move them to the top of the page and "paste" them there?
  • Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!
  • Thanks for this wonderful site! I look forward to this being a great place to connect with others who have experienced the same anxieties, treatments and emotions. Together we can help each other get stronger and face the challenges that this disease has thrown into our lives.
  • Thanks for this wonderful site! I look forward to this being a great place to connect with others who have experienced the same anxieties, treatments and emotions. Together we can help each other get stronger and face the challenges that this disease has thrown into our lives.
  • Where and how can I access the profiles and stories of the members.

• Hi @meganG.  All you have to do is click on their username and you will see their profile.  If you don't see their story it means they have not completed that section.  You could look at the Introduce Yourself discussion and see what they wrote there.