Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Travel insurance

@Fearless - Vol Mod Hi, I was just told that if I am not in complete remission that I am not able to get travel insurance for the US? Has anybody run into this issue? I am supposed to be leaving Monday for a weeks vacation, but looks like I may not be able to. Feeling so disappointed right now. 

Comments

• @hope2022 a good question and one, about travel insurance for us, I've raised a few times without much success.  If you did into the videos on Ovarian Cancer Canada you'll find a short presentation from someone in the insurance industry but it's at least 4 years old so probably well out of date.  
    That said, unless it's a qualified broker of travel insurance who told you this I'd take it with a grain of salt and call a professional.  I'm thinking I'd go to Blue Cross first for the information but I think there are other providers out there too.  I'd also ask them or call the provincial government to confirm entitlements under your provincial health insurance for out of province/out of country travel.  And have you list of "what if's" to ask so you're clear under what circumstances you'd be covered and how much that coverage would be. 

I know some of our gals have started travelling again so hopefully someone else will have better information for you, I"m sure you're get that sorted out so happy trails wherever you're headed. 

• @Fearless - Vol Mod Thank you for your comments and always responding so quickly. I was able to get travel insurance for the US with a partner company to my local insurance company. It's a little pricey, but worth every penny! I hope you are doing well with your treatment. Thanks again
  • @hope2022 that's great news. Thanks for sharing
  • carebear
    edited August 2022
    I was also searching around for travel insurance for a short trip to New York in January. I was turned away by CAA (they need 5 years clear) and Manulife (they need 1 year clear). I wound up calling a company called Securiglobe Travel Insurance who was able to get me coverage through TUGO Insurance at a very reasonable price. Any cancer treatment is excluded but I don't anticipate there will be any issue for a short trip given that my status is currently NED. Hope this can help others out there.
  • @carebear I'm glad you were able to get insurance for your trip. Tugo was the company I used as well. The BC Automobile Association might be another option for future trips someone at the BCCA told me. Take care