Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

How do you cope with the holidays?

For some people their holidays are just finishing and for others, they are fast approaching.  When you are dealing with a life threatening disease, holidays can take on new meaning.  How do you cope with the holidays?  Is it a time of year that you look forward to or has it been hard to enter into the spirit of the season?  Is this year different to previous years?  

How did you/are you planning for them?  Did you/are you planning anything special this year? What would you like to share about this?

Comments

• Jackie
    Jackie Peer Support Vol

One of Alberta’s leading oncologists performed important surgery to stage my cancer on December 13, 2011, and I nearly spent Christmas Day that year on the cancer unit. I developed some complications that they had to keep an eye on, so it was touch and go whether I would make it out of the hospital by December 25. They did finally discharge me on Christmas Eve, but obviously I was in no condition to eat a big turkey dinner or to engage in most of our family’s usual activities. Still it was wonderful to look at the tree and to open my gifts. I also felt grateful as I thought of all the brave women that I had met on my hospital unit.

• Hi @Jackie. Even though you weren’t feeling great, so nice that you could be home with your family. Sounds like this year will be quite different!  I hope you have a meaningful and joyful time. 

Thanks for sharing that memory / let’s remember the women this year who wont be able to go home .... 
  • Hi @Jackie -thank you for sharing. Yes, as the year comes to an end, it is often a reflective time - I too,  seem to recall and wonder how was I the year I was diagnosed and finished treatment (it was just before the holidays), how I was feeling last year and still can't believe where I am now. Most grateful to spend another holiday season with family and friends.  And yes, @Marilyn - it is nice to honor those we have lost - I will be having a few moments to remember with a quiet time of tea & toast . For anyone having difficulties and still dealing with treatments or the fall out of that and this disease, I wish you some peace and any comfort you can find;  grab on to it to get you through this holiday season and know you are not alone at all.