Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Intro

Hi my user name is 352Ruth and I had surgery a month ago…. Will be starting my chemo for stage 3 cancer… don’t know exactly when or how difficult this is going to be… so happy to join this site to share our stories .

Comments

• Hi there. 
  • @352Ruth Hi, you will find this site very helpful with ladies sharing their experiences. If you havnt already, get a copy of "By Your Side" through Ovarian Cancer Canada. Can get e-version or, I picked up hardcopy at the resource centre in my Cancer Center. It's very helpful. 
    Keep moving forward
  • Hi @352Ruth. Welcome to our community and hope your surgical recovery is going well.  I know the prospect of chemo can be daunting so you've come to a great place to get prepared and to help you through since most, if not all here, share your experience.....physically and emotionally.  

I share your diagnosis of stage 3, for me C and type high grade serous and I can attest to being terrified of chemo back in 2017 when I was diagnosed and my treatment plan was confirmed; Surgery \hop first followed by six cycles of chemo.and other than a glitch on the first infusion, I really coasted through. But if you type in the key words into the "search bar" at the top right of your screen it will pull up discussions and comments on the topic that might be interesting.  Just remember that chemo is customised and our own responses to it differ.  But also remember the staff in the chemo room will try their best to make the experience as easy as possible for you. Make sure you communicate how you;re feeling and don't try to be a martyr. The can't fix any discomfort , if you have any, if they don't know it' happening.

Hopefully your cancer centre offers some kin of preparation program...a tour of the chemo room and overview.  And do research he topic on the  OCC website, along with ordering the booklet By Your Side from them. It's a very helpful guide through primary treatment.  

Wishing you all the best and do keep us posted on your progress along with reaching out any time we can be of help. 

<3 

• Thank you so much

Yes I must say I have been worried. 
    I’m not sure what to take with me for food etc
    I am so grateful that I have been offered chemo
    i have been told it can be tough  but it’s my hope

• At first I went to the cafe but after Covid shut things down I brought crackers and cheese.
  • @352Ruth
    I recall last year a considerable amount of chat amongst the community on preparing for chemo...what to take, wear etc.  Those may be hard to find since there's lots of posts on the general subject of chemo but if you go to the 'search' box on the upper right and type in key words like: chemo, prepare, what to bring, they might pull up the relevant discussions. Other than that I can offer a few tips:
    • Be prepared for long days. Generally when you're administered two drugs, and accounting for the premeds and hydration they give you before and in between you can count on 4 or more hours.  If you're only getting one drug in a treatment then usually an hour.   Your doctor will tell you what drugs you'll get and the structure of your cycle so you can prepare for the amount of time you'll be in treatment
    • Ask but generally yes you can eat while getting treatment.  I used to pack a large bottle of spring water to stay hydrated (water at the hospital tastes awful), depending on what time my chemo something for lunch or snacks. Hate to admit it but there as always a Kit Kat in my bag. Don't pack anything that's strong smelling though. Others in treatment may find that offensive. 
    • Wear loose, comfortable clothing.  Layering is good so you can adjust to the temperature in the chemo room.  I usually wore track pants, a T, and a loose track suit top. The nurses are good to bring you a warm blanket if it's exceptionally cool.  
    • A good book to read, or notebook, or anything to pass the time.  
    • I usually feel just fine after treatment, but about half way home fatigue hits me.  So I make sure my husband or someone is available to pick me up and drive me home.  
    These are basics. Ask the nurses for any suggestions, especially anything they recommend to counter neuropathy. Some gals swore by loose socks and having cold packs on or under their feet the whole time.  But yes, you can get up and move around, go to the washroom etc. while in treatment.  My chemo room wouldn't allow you to leave it's confines so visits to the coffee kiosk or shop etc. wasn't viable for me. My first chemo was pre Covid so it was nice that my husband could come along and sit with me. I did miss that later on, and so did he.  Perhaps that restriction on visitors will change at some point. 

Again good luck and continue to reach out as other questions arise. And don't worry too much.  Most of us found it much easier than we expected and if there is any discomfort or issues the chemo staff are well trained to jump in an make things more comfortable for you. Just ensure you keep them informed on how you're feeling.