Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Hair Loss and Head coverings/wigs

Hello all,

Low grade 3C serous adenocarcinoma here. I'm currently undergoing 6 rounds of chemo to combat this disease and with it comes the joy of having my hair fall out. It was shocking and upsetting when it first happened, and now, going in to my third round of chemo, I've gotten used to it. 

My question is, what kind of head coverings is everyone sporting these days? I ordered some on Amazon, and they are quite comfortable but I like to have variety in my wardrobe! I've also reached out to my local Guardian Angel caring room and borrowed a wig and beanies, but they weren't as comfortable and the wig felt very cheap and unnatural. Has anyone bought a wig and have any insight on what I should look for when purchasing my own? What types of head coverings are the best? 

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• @curiosityinspired we have lots of members who've experienced hair loss during chemo so hopefully some recommendations for you will be forthcoming.  But it does look like you've been very resourceful yourself so far. That's great you've found some solutions.  If you haven't already you might to try the "search bar" in the upper right of your screen. Type in key words like Wigs...or maybe Hair Loss...or anything else that might come to mind to help pull up former conversations on the topic that might prove useful.

Good luck...and remember, this too shall pass.  I've never experienced hair loss with any of my treatments but of my friends who have, I can attest their hair came back thicker, and for those with naturally straight hair, even some curly.
  • @curiosityinspired - I shaved my head between my first and second chemo treatments. My treatment began in April 2016 and ended in July 2016, so I was fortunate to have warmer weather and not worry about the freezing temperatures we have right now. I was going to get a wig but decided to wait and I'm glad I did. I purchased some knit beanies from a local store, wore hats and scarves. Most of the time I went with nothing at all, though sometimes I wore a beanie at night if my head felt cool. Before I knew it my hair was growing back. I have naturally curly hair that tends to be on the dry coarse side. It grew back softer, though not thicker as I had hoped it might. Within a year the coarse texture returned and has remained. Being 'bald' for a few months was liberating - not having to worry about haircuts, styling, etc., while I was feeling lower than a snake's belly. There are times now I think of shaving it all off again...LOL...especially with not being able to get to the hairdresser regularly due to COVID.
  • I bought many scarves and practiced various ways of tying them. I decided not to get a wig at this time. I recently discovered buffs in various colours at Dollarama.  Now I am generally sporting a buff with a matching hairband.  This is working well in the summer - I imagine it might be too cool in the winter.
  • @curiosityinspired
    Good Morning!  It sounds like you have undergone some of the similar things that I have and same graded LGSC 3C.
    I lost my hair by the 2nd round and took it off myself as my scalp really started to hurt.  I considered a wig but decided that it was not for me and would be too hot for the summer.  I rocked between "going commando" and wearing scarves. I purchased mine online and matched them with most of my summer dresses.  The link to it is this: http://www.headcovers.com  there is lots of variety and they do have some for cooler weather as well. Check it out and see what you think. Some of the ones I bought are good for sleeping too but I also used them outside as it got a bit cooler as my head was sensitive to wind.
  • Hello @curiosityinspired - I have 2 wigs by Jon Renau and I keep getting compliments all the time… Although both are synthetic, they look so natural. Fortunately, in our city we have a place that sells a good selection of wigs and you can try them on. My first wig was right in the store and the second was ordered from the catalog but it worked great, just like the first one.