Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Ottawa support

Someone reached out for a patient in the Ottawa area who requires support for Ovarian cancer. She is single and requires support with daily activities such as meal preparation, showers etc. I would like to help but I’m in a Toronto and just began this journey myself :(

Comments

• @Siga I take it she reached out outside of OVdialogue and you're just looking for any advice you can give her.  If not quite the case feel free to correct my assumptions.   That said, I can remember when first diagnosed and going through treatment I had never been significantly ill and in a position where I needed assistance so completely unaware of how to navigate support services.  Much wiser now, five years later though.

Her hospital, which I assume is the Ottawa Cancer centre or she may be going to Kingston wil have a social work department and a cancer care navigator available to assist as well.  All she needs to do is to reach out to her cancer care team for a referral to either or both. They can help her arrange for services required.  Sometimes that begins with a full assessment, which is someone coming out to her home to see how she functions and then providing recommendations on services available to her; some free, some at cost.  But do have her try that route as it does provide access to funded services available that she wouldn't be able to access otherwise.  

I hope that helps.  And  as an OVC patient, please suggest she join our group here.  We'd love to help and support when she needs it.  
  • Thank you for all the information I will pass on the information to her friend. I don’t personally know this woman but as someone beginning this journey with so much support it breaks my heart to think of someone going through all of this on her own, and unable to take care of herself. 
  • @Siga you're a wonderful and caring woman to be so concerned for another. I'm sure she'll appreciate just knowing someone out there cares and may be a whole network just waiting to embrace her if she wants to join us.  I do hope she can find the help she needs right now.  I know the services where I am, which is also in Ontario and south of her, have been great for any of us needing help.  

You stay well youself and keep in touch...
     <3