Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

introduction

Hi. i was diagnosed with 4th stage sessile ovarian cancer almost 5 years ago.  I started to notice issues with my breathing early July.  One thing led to another and I received my diagnosis on September 2nd.  i had surgery on September 25 and started chemo  mid-October.  Chemo was tough.  i was on a 21 day cycle with a full 8-hr treatment the first Friday and then a 4-hr treatment (without nausea) the next Friday.  During my surgery, i had a port inserted into my abdomen.  The chemo was the usual through IV on my wrist and then the last part of the 8 hr treatment was through the port.  They'd hook it up and then tilt my bed this way and that to swish my special concoction around.  I am grateful for the care i received and credit my medical team for my survival.  Statistics with disease survival seem to listed in the 1 year, 5 year rate so I am particularly looking forward to being past the upcoming 5 year anniversary!

Comments

• @Beech
    Welcome and so wonderful to hear your story.  Anytime we have news of those who's treatment has been successful and they are headed to a long term cure is so uplifting for all of us, especially the newly diagnosed. Please continue to join us and share you experiences.  In the meantime, looking forward to hearing when you do hit that five year milestone....you've go this gal !
  • @Beech congratulations on your upcoming anniversary. I'm approaching my fifth anniversary as well - my oncologist calls it my 'graduation.' 
  • @kastoyles
    Karen, do let us know when you officially hit that long awaited and wonderful milestone so we all do a happy dance for you !  And thank you for staying connected to our community here. Your support and encouragement to others is always so valued.

• @Fearless - Vol Mod  - you will probably  hear me from Kitchener! My last chemo date is July 21 but doctor will officially 'graduate' me at my last follow-up in October. Thanks... and thank you as well...