Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

PARP Inhibitors

Hi,
Greetings!
My name is Claudia - I live both on Vancouver Island BC and in San Francisco. I was diagnosed with stage 1A ovarian CA in 2018 - had surgery, no chemo and was fine for 2 years. In June 2020 I had a small recurrence - had surgery again and 1 day of chemo before being placed on a PARP inhibitor. I have a BRCA mutation which makes PARP medications more lethal against cancer cells.
I have had numerous side effects from the PARP medication - I take Zejula - and wanted to connect with other women to see what their experiences might be on PARP.
Thank you!

Comments

• Hi @Claudia
    Welcome to our community. I'm sorry to hear you had a recurrence and now the Zejula is causing some discomfort.  If you key in Zejula into the search bar at the top right of your screen you'll pick up several fairly recent discussions on that topic. We have many members who have been on it or are and have shared their experiences.

I am a bit surprised though you were put on Zejula and not Olaparib, given Olaparib is more conducive to BRCA positive patients....and a bit easier to tolerate. But I'm not an oncologist and there may be specific reasons as to why the Zejula was the preferred recommendation and could just depend on whether your treatment is being managed in the US or here.  We can only share experience from a Canadian perspective.  Perhaps you might ask though if it would be an option to explore.

All that said though, if you haven't already discussed your issues with your medical team I urge you to do so. You'll see from the previous discussions on the topic many of our members have had great success alleviating side effects with a lower dose as recommended by their oncologists...and there may be other interventions they could apply to keep you on the drug if it's providing the benefit expected.   

Let us know how you're doing and do continue to reach out whenever we can be of support to you. 
  • Thank you!
    I am working with 2 teams of oncologists - one in SF, the other in Duncan, BC - which has been interesting - I've found the care in Duncan to be better informed and more compassionate and caring. I'm a US citizen but also a permanent resident of Canada. I feel Canada is one of the greatest countries in the world - I feel very privileged to be here.
    Best regards!