Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Low Sexual Desire/Libido...looking for help

@cassiemastro .....I have cut and pasted your introduction into a new Discussion topic to ensure it doesn't get buried within the introduction topic.  To all in the group, hopefully some of you can provide her with some support.  Our new member here is cassiemastro. 

"Hi everybody! Brand new here. I’m 22yr old and I was diagnosed in 2015 with juvenile granulosa cell OVCA stage 1C. Only had surgery to remove my right ovary and Fallopian tube and have been in remission ever since. I’m currently struggling with poor sexual drive/libido and wondering if anyone else is also struggling and would appreciate others tips! "

Comments

• @cassiemastro
    I am almost shocked to hear a diagnosis at your age. I am so very sorry and pray your remission is permanent.  As for your issue, do ensure you discuss with your doctor.  Issues of sexuality, especially libido related could be emotional or physical or a combination. You do want to ensure anything physical is explored and treated.

You may also want to type in key words into our search box at the top right of the OVd screen. There have been the occasional, but not recent reference to sexuality that you might want to reference.

Most, if not all, cancer centers have a social work department attached. See about getting a referral to them.  At my cc, Kingston, they have a clinic that specifically addresses the impacts of cancer on sexuality.  Otherwise, the social workers are wonderful at helping you find the appropriate resources to help.  

Hopefully some of our other survivors will have some suggestions for you.  
     <3 
  • Thank you so much! I just made an appointment to discuss the issue! 
  • @cassiemastro that's great news.  Do let us know if it's been helpful.  I'm sure there are many others experiencing similar issues but the topic is one that many are uncomfortable acknowledging or discussing.  They could benefit from your experience.  And please, if there is anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to reach out any time.  

My thoughts are with you for a happy and healthy 2021 and for many years after.
     <3 
  • jiselle16
    jiselle16 Peer Support Vol
    @cassiemastro Like you, I was diagnosed at an early stage. I was diagnosed with stage 1C clear cell at age 31 and ended up having a full hysterectomy and both ovaries removed. So, I am in surgically induced menopause in my 30's. Regarding your question....yes I have been struggling with the same (and still am almost 5 years after diagnosis). For me, a lot of the lack of drive after treatment was related to my body image and self-confidence, as I had gained a lot of weight after treatment and just didn't feel good about my body. What helped was having some honest discussions with my husband about how I was feeling and what I thought would help. I eventually started to increase my self-confidence as I started to exercise again and eat well and just overall felt better about myself and my body.

The pandemic and my anxiety about Covid lately has certainly not helped things, but my advice is to try not to put pressure on yourself about how you are feeling. If you aren't feeling it, that's OK! It will take time. You can also check out Dr. Katz, she is a sexuality counsellor and focuses on cancer survivors. I have heard her speak at cancer conferences, and she has a lot of practical advice: http://www.drannekatz.com/. Happy to chat any time!
  • jiselle16
    jiselle16 Peer Support Vol
    @cassiemastro Like you, I was diagnosed at an early stage. I was diagnosed with stage 1C clear cell at age 31 and ended up having a full hysterectomy and both ovaries removed. So, I am in surgically induced menopause in my 30's. Regarding your question....yes I have been struggling with the same (and still am almost 5 years after diagnosis). For me, a lot of the lack of drive after treatment was related to my body image and self-confidence, as I had gained a lot of weight after treatment and just didn't feel good about my body. What helped was having some honest discussions with my husband about how I was feeling and what I thought would help. I eventually started to increase my self-confidence as I started to exercise again and eat well and just overall felt better about myself and my body.

The pandemic and my anxiety about Covid lately has certainly not helped things, but my advice is to try not to put pressure on yourself about how you are feeling. If you aren't feeling it, that's OK! It will take time. You can also check out Dr. Katz, she is a sexuality counsellor and focuses on cancer survivors. I have heard her speak at cancer conferences for young adults with cancer, and she has a lot of practical advice: http://www.drannekatz.com/. Happy to chat any time!