Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

We're excited to welcome you to Teal Thursdays, a DAYTIME version of the Tuesday evening online chat that is becoming more and more popular as a way to connect with each other real-time. Starting Thursday July 30th, join us weekly at 1:00 pm EST to engage with each other on hot topics, share information and experience, maybe  have a giggle or two or help wipe away someone's tears or just fluff out our tutus and dance the day away.  Hope to 'see' you there !

Comments

• How do I connect to this call?
  • Just sign in and click on the discussion topic, like you did to leave your comment, and you'll have access to the discussion.  Look forward to having you join us on Tuesday @BeamBlossom
  • Great! thank you!
  • Welcome to our first daytime online chat.  We thought that with so many people now being at home during the day and the Tuesday evening time frame being a bit late for those in eastern Canada we would offer a daytime session as an option.

Like the Tuesday evening session, this is your agenda so feel free to pop in, pop out, participate or just follow the discussion. 

Remember that there can be a slight lag between posting a comment and it appearing in the chat.  Hopefully not too inconvenient.

If you want to know who else is on the chat, on the right hand side of this screen you can scroll to the bottom where icons appear for those signed in. Click on the icons to have their screen name appear.  It will also display the number those who have not signed in but are viewing the discussion today.
  • Welcome Beamblossom.  Glad to see you joining.  We'll wait a couple of minutes to see who else might join in today if that's ok.
  • I don’t see “discussion topic” here.
  • Hello @Fearless and @BeamBlossom! I thought I'd check in to see what's happening on the first daytime chat.
  • Welcome Cbot...and BeamBlossom, we don't prescribe a topic. I'd prefer to let our participants reach out with any hot topics they want to discuss. I know you had one the other day about post first line treatment follow up. Did you want to talk about that today?
  • Hi from BeamBlossom, no wonder I was confused, I thought this was an audio sort of call.
  • Hi all from PEI
  • I'm not seeing the other's comments.
  • Well @cbot and @BeamBlossom it looks like just the 3 of us to kick this off.  So here are a few thoughts if any one wants to comment or start a discussion:
    1. Anyone else experiencing a vacuum relative to post treatment follow up.....feeling somewhat left on their own with little support?
    2. How is everyone feeling now that many Covid restrictions have been lifted.....going out to dinner?  creating social bubbles? or just isolating as much as possible still?
  • it’s heritage been over 3 years since I finished treatment. I remover feeling cut adrift. Esp sine I moved 3 provinces away 
  • Hi @angel27 Glad to have you here.  I'm having the same problem as @BeamBlossom and screen is not refreshing. Are you all seeing this comment?
  • Tried to edit that lol. Still learning 
  • I am not taking any chances, I am a bubble of one, as I've been in chemo since COVID started. I just finished and am feeling very sad, that I cannot look forward to going back out with friends or to restaurants etc once chemo is over. 
  • PEI got off lightly with COVID. We have been able to visit for awhile. 
  • See that fearless. Do we need to refresh ? 
  • Hi. My situation is a bit different. Still in first round treatment with Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. I had a second opinion from an oncologist in the U.S who suggested adding Avastin during the first round, but my attending oncologist has indicated that it is more likely to be used in post-treatment follow up, and even more likely with recurrence.
    I am definitely not going anywhere during active treatment. I live in Windsor ON, which is a COVID hotspot right now. The isolation is difficult.
  • I"m the same as you Beamblossom.  I'm just not comfortable getting too close and personal yet and probably won't be until they find a vaccine.  It's especially hard being isolated on a rural property where the only action I see are cars driving by and a the occassional deer crossing the land.   How does everyone cope with the isolation?
  • Yikes. Yes be very careful in Windsor 
  • Beamblossom have you tried Facetime, Zoom ?
  • Hopefully at least being able to chat with others here will help. And thank god for FaceTime with family back in Ontario 
  • I'm thinking of joining an online book club - I've been pretty self-absorbed and focusing too much on my "illness identity". Would be nice to focus on something different for a change and maybe connect online...
  • Hopefully at least being able to chat with others here will help. And thank god for FaceTime with family back in Ontario 
    sounds like a good idea cbot
  • I cope with my telephone, I am fortuate that I have a large circle of friends to chat with, I usually do that once or twice a day. I also spend a lot of time just on my lounge chair in my yeard, which I hsve not had enough time to enjoy in previous summers, so I am grateful for that.
  • I am sitting outside on my deck  Just has a visit from hummingbird 
  • That's a great idea cbot. I know there are times I really need to connect with other survivors who "get it" but also often need connections where the focus has nothing to do with cancer.  It's easy to get so emersed in this disease that you begin to lose sight of all the wonderful things going on out there.
  • I too have found just sitting outside, enjoying the weather and listening to the birds so refreshing.  Has anyone else noticed that since Covid we're seeing many more birds and other wildlife than ever before.  My property is just loaded with species I've never seen before.
  • I'm not a fan of facetime or zoom as I am very unhappy with my appearance right now. I find it very upsetting, like a privacy invasion when someone facetimes me without warning.