Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Teal Tuesdays - Live Online Chat! (Discontinued indefinitely)

Comments

• @Flowergirl,  do we have a topic we want to discuss or are we freestyling tonight?
  • Managing ok @cbot - thank you 
    All good - you'll manage ok @Bluebird
    Reminder there could be a delay in the posts until you refresh the home page, sometimes there are multiple users on the site, and sometimes chat participants are reading through comments or taking time for typing.
    And not to worry if you miss the time frame - chat is here 24/7 for you to post.
  • nadiaC
    nadiaC Legacy
    Not sure if I need to tag people! Hey hey to @Flowergirl @Bluebird @kattie666 @cbot
  • Hi @nadiaC. Yes, I struggled with the hair loss. I cut my bob to a short cut, and once it started really coming out I had a friend shave it. It's hard, but I've gotten used to it. 
  • nadiaC
    nadiaC Legacy
    @kattie666 happy to hear round 2 was good and that you’re tolerating side effects well. I had many days of deep fatigue after round 1, but otherwise ok. Round 2 is next Thursday. I think we’re on the same schedule 😊
  • @nadiaC Yes round 3 will be Thursday of next week.  Went for a drive today to pick up some lawn chairs.  So bored with Covid!!!!  Better safe at home though!  I am used to working with the public and seeing hundreds of people in a day!  This stay at home is very quiet!!
  • great to hear you all seem to be managing - we usually free flow the topics @Bluebird
    I'm curious how everyone is managing with the whole Covid issue - it is complicated for me
  • @nadiaC..it is sad when your hair comes out...its really one of the first signs that you are going through treatment... chemo works on the insides where you dont see the physical changes.  But hair is a big part of who you are.  Your cancer centre might have a wig room...ours does..and you can borrow a wig like a library book...unless they have it closed for COVID.  Check it out if you have one...hat's, scarves...all good options...
  • nadiaC
    nadiaC Legacy
    @cbot I also cut a short pixie, although the front is long. I was able to pull some of the long bits off the front today and it didn’t even hurt. That part felt strange. But it’s part of the process...
  • Yes, @nadiaC, it is a process. I have come to embrace my hairless self for now. 🙂 I give myself a head massage in the shower!!
  • @Flowergirl Cancer Canada sent me a survey questionnaire about Covid and Cancer and how I am coping.  I had major surgery, and a cancer diagnosis during the worst part (so far) of the pandemic.  If I can get through that, I can get through anything!!  LOL LOL I handle most things in life with humour.  It takes the edge off for me and my family!  Right now my sisters (from all over Canada) are mailing me panties......  #femalecancerdontgetyourpantiesinaknot  is the hashtag they have come up with for my battle!  My husband "modeled" one of the thongs they sent as a face mask tonight.... bahahaha
  • Hang in there @cbot - I like the idea of head massage.
    I so love that idea @kattie666.... any thoughts to take that bigger and chat with @MarilynOCC -I'm thinking fundraiser!!!
    Great sport your hubby is - I agree we all need a little bit of humour to get us through!
  • @Flowergirl...COVID hasnt stopped too much in my life except all the fun stuff 😉..I'm still working...what it has impacted is my visits with my mom who is in seniors apartments and they are in semi lockdown...and shes scared so it's been hard..I try and stay vigilant about the virus..altho I'm in remission...still high risk...
  • I can so relate @Bluebird... this has been very difficult and complicated for those seniors 
  • @Flowergirl , I can relate to the other posts about Covid. I had to  go by myself for surgery. It was like a ghost hospital!! I thought twice about doing chemo for fear of catching it due to compromise immune system.
  • Have an awesome week ladies!  Time to sign off and get my beauty rest!  
  • understandable for sure @cbot
    I am finally ok with going into CancerCare or the hospitals - they seems to be the safest place because screening and everyone going there "gets it" as is likely being extra careful
  • Good chat ladies - I'm off too as a late dinner on the front patio awaits!
    I hope you all have a good week - know others are thinking of you  <3

• @Flowergirl, going through treatment is difficult at the best of times but now   with COVID it has to be hard...its more than social distancing...its isolation..you have to be so careful...and not having the support people with you in treatment has to be hard...its like going through it by yourself has got to be so..tough.
  • @Flowergirl, yes, I do trust Cancer Care. Everyone gets it and they all wear masks. 
  • nadiaC
    nadiaC Legacy
    goodnight everyone! It’s bedtime for me! 
  • Good night to all. It is lonely during this time of Covid, but you, my Teal Sisters, make it a little less lonely. 💕
  • @kattie666,  what a great thing " panties in a knot" ..maybe ovarian cancer canada can adopt it...and your family...have a good laugh and some fun..
  • Hello @Flowergirl - and our Teal Sisters!  Just wanted to touch base and let you know I'm still doing ok and progressing on my chemo path.  Some days are better than others.  I would love to take part in the Teal Tuesdays, but I find the time difference for those of us in the East - especially Newfoundland and the Maritimes, makes it very late to participate.  Is there any chance of adjusting the time a little bit?  If not, maybe I'll try to send my comments/questions in advance.
    Thanks - and I hope everyone has a great week.  

• @Tinazzie, glad to hear your doing well with the chemo...hang in there...hopefully you'll be enjoying some good days....I'm in the west...I'd  be ok for earlier start...it has been suggested to have it earlier I believe..
  • @Tinazzie I'm so glad to hear of your progress. Hang in there gal. It's a journey and like all journey's, full of peaks and valleys.  Just stay focused on the outcome.  And,  look for an announcement later today or tomorrow as we launch Teal Thursdays later this week....a daytime online chat.  Hope to "see'" you there.
  • Good to hear you are managing ok @Tinazzie
    Yes, hope the time frame is good for you to join in on the new Thursday chat during the day!

Good evening @cbot and everyone "viewing in"
  • Good evening @Flowergirl. I am checking in this evening, and I might try the new Teal Thursday this week!
  • Hi @cbot - Yes, lots of recent activity on the site, and many new participants - so glad we can all support each other.
    Due to the recent situations many more may be around during daytime hours... nice to have the options and the bonus is the site is always 24/7!

• Yes, @Flowergirl. I look forward to checking in on Thursday. Wondering if everyone else has the same idea - seems like a quiet evening!  :)