Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Chemotherapy - what to consider?

Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well.
I am 48 years old and had surgery on Sept 6th where they found cancer and they did a hysterectomy.  I had a follow up with the doctor at Princess Margaret yesterday and he recommends 6 cycles of chemo. This is all happening fast and I  am unsure if so many things. I have stage 1,c, clear cell. There was so much information from the Doctor but he said the my cancer is rare and can be aggressive and there can be a recurrence. He said chemo may help some but I go back and forth on what to do ...or take no chemo. 
I have anxiety and I am afraid of throwing up and of hair loss and some of the other side effects.
Do I take both drugs (carboplatin and taxol)?
It is effective if I take only  carboplatin?
How do others make their decision?
What things should I be considering?
Thank you,
kittycat

Comments

• Hi @kittycat.  Thanks for starting this discussion!  Its a difficult decision particularly if the doctor seems uncertain about the effectiveness of the chemo.  Here are some other women who were diagnosed with Stage 1 disease.  @jemgirljeri @KarenL @kastoyles @jiselle16 @sunshine and @jojo305 .  They may have some insights about how they made decisions around this. How long do you have to make a decision?
  • Hello Kittycat

I have received many rounds of carbo and taxol chemo with a debulking surgery.  I have found that it helped me.  I did not have too many severe side effects.  They will give you steroids and anti nausea to counter issues.  I think you should discuss it with the doctor and others around you.  Write down your concerns and take them to the doctor or your GP if you have one.  Ask them.  I have had a recurrence.  Recurrence is common with ovarian cancer in general.  Good luck and keep chatting in the future.  
  • Hello Kittycat,a difficult decision however in my case they told me what my option would have to be(stage 3b)so I had carbo and taxol.They control the side effects well and I had no problem with nausea etc.My hair did fall out but wigs have come a long way and many people did not know it was not my own hair.If you can go to a "Look Good Feel Better " program that might help and they give you alot of makeup and skin care tips.Usually offered thru a hospital or cancer clinic.What made me feel better was to start off my day making myself feel good, -get up ,wash your face and put your makeup on.Refuse to be negative.All the best we are all rooting for you.
  • Hello,  Thank you for the feedback, I found it very helpful.  It helped me make the decision to go ahead with chemo.  Better to be on the safe side.  I will make the best of things and keep a positive attitude and use the time to do what I love.  Arts and crafts.  As well I am going to try to figure out something else I could do for a living.  Thanks for all the kind wishes.  I wish everyone good health and happiness.  Kittycat.
  • I too have Stage 1C Clear Cell. The pathology showed a small breach from the tumour to the outside and chemo was recommended because of the possibility of cells in my abdomen. I struggled with the decision to do chemo as well. I didn't feel sick! My hysterectomy cleared up the pain I was having and I was on the road to recovery. My GP said I needed to be as aggressive as possible. My  husband was all for it as it would give me the best odds. Up until the time the IV needle went in my arm, I was still undecided. But I went ahead with it. I was really surprised as how well I felt through the span of 6 rounds. Yes I was fatigued, my legs ached for days, I lost all my hair (actually I shaved a week after my first treatment - it was one thing that I could control!), but I did it. Above all TAKE YOUR DRUGS FAITHFULLY!  They are prescribed for a reason - they will help you get through the treatments with as little discomfort as possible.

Drink Water! Be sure you are well-hydrated before your treatments and drink what you can afterward to help your body flush the toxins. I noticed a big difference between the times I was well-hydrated and the times I wasn't.

Senokot became a good friend of mine. I constipate easily and the drugs you take will cause constipation. Water, fibre and Senokot....

I had a nap every morning and one in the afternoon for the first four days or so after treatment. As they went on, the fatigue became more pronounced.  I would hit a brick wall and just had to lay down, not necessarily sleep, but lay down, warm and toasty, close my eyes and chill out for a while. Hubby would remind me every day to lay down for a while. The body needs time to heal and fight the assault that's going on with chemo. Listen to your body. Don't try to be a hero and push yourself beyond what your body can handle.

You can do it!
  • Hi your comments have really helped me.  I prefer to do only carboplaten but will see.  I am only 3 days into my first chemo treatment.  I feel quite tired and not much appetite and a little nauseous. Pills work though.  My husband is taking time off work to be with me.  I’m lucky!  Kittycat
  • @kittycat Listen to your body...  and your husband!!  LOL Mine was an angel - he did everything, all I had to do was rest, eat and heal.. The six rounds will be over with before you know it.
  • What chemo drugs have you been on?  

I am interested in your treatments because it seems that the American and British support forum members have such a wide variety of chemo drugs being used.  

Do we Canadians have the same options?

I have had nine cycles of Carboplatin and Paclitaxel as front line treatment.

• I had a hysterectomy and 1 carboplatin.  Might go with placlitaxel as well for remaining cycles.  I was diagnosed with stage 1 clear cell ovarian cancer.  
  • Hello @midcanada regarding the amount of drugs I can say that as far as I know Health Canada does not move as quickly to approve drugs even though the FDA has approved some of them.  Regarding the PARP inhibitors Canada has approved one so far for some people while FDA has approved 3.  We have the funding side to it as well.  Publicly funded.  
  • @kittycat I did both carbo and taxol for all six rounds
  • Hi @midcanada.  Generally speaking, the standard drugs that are used for front line treatment in Canada are Carboplatin and Paclitaxol.  This may vary depending on individual circumstances but these two drugs are usually where treatment starts along with surgery. If the disease recurs, these drugs may be used again as they are the preferred ones.  If not, there are other drugs that are available to use with recurrent cancer or cancer that does not respond well to the platinum drugs.  This will vary depending on the individual situation.

How are you feeling about upcoming CT scan?

• I'm still waiting for pathology/staging results (over 5 weeks now) but I understood my gyne oncologist to say in the hospital that it could be Stage I with no need for chemo. It seems there are a few here that were Stage I and still had chemo? I wonder if different Drs have different recommendations? I would rather err on the side of caution and have chemo, than regret it later.
  • Hi @jan0927. Yes, it can be confusing when talking about treatment for Stage 1 disease.  It can depend on each individual situation, the type of ovarian cancer, the grade of the cancer, the substage of the cancer (stage 1a, 1b or 1c) and what the doctor might recommend.  For example, several of the women above have stage 1 clear cell ovarian cancer.  This type of cancer may be more aggressive than other types which could be why chemo is recommended.  If the cancer is completely contained and removed through surgery, the doctor may not recommend chemo.  This is the kind of conversation your doctor will have with you when your results are in.  You can ask why they are making the particular recommendation and let them know your thoughts too.  

If you have received a copy of By Your Side, which is a guide we publish for women recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, there is a section on page 41 that has a list of questions to ask the doctor regarding your diagnosis and treatment recommendations.  If you do not have the book, you can order it online at 
    http://ovariancanada.org/living-with-ovarian-cancer/support-resources

If you do not have By Your Side, let me know and I will post these questions here for you.
  • Hi @KarenMari53 - I had carboplatin and paclitaxel as treatment.
    Day of the treatment was ok, just tired  (they gave me benadryl to prevent reactions).
    It is post treatment when the side effects showed up. Joint stiffness was my side effect - I felt like "Rusty the tin man"
    Movement, such as walking and light exercise seemed to help.
  • Hi @Flower girl.... Thank you...someone else said they did 6 rounds with little side effects. It is helping me relax, I have done research on diet, etc today so I can go into this educated and ready. Anybody continue working? I work as an administrator/ bookkeeper and hope to keep up for the 6 cycles. My employer (my church) has been amazing.
  • Hello everyone and
    @UnPickNot
    @Teddybear
    @Soni
    @pattiezee
    Wondering if you can share your recent experiences with Cisplatin - asking for a participant in our in person support group?
  • Thank you for all these comments.  The last one I saw was Flowergirl Feb 26th.  Are there any more recent comments regarding treatment, especially chemo.  Thx.
  • @tracy I had chemo for Stage 1C Clear Cell Ovarian Cancer. My treatment was carboplatin and paclitaxol the same as flowergirl. The first day after treatment was good. The side effects began two days after, some nausea and the leg pains were just an ache until day three. Extra strength Tylenol helped, mild exercise and heating pads also helped. By day four, the leg pains were subsiding, but the fatigue lingered. With each treatment the side effects can intensify. I found they were all manageable with the medications the oncologist prescribed, hydrating and getting rest. Use the Search feature to locate posts in other areas of OVDialogue.
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. Good health and happiness to you always. 
  • Definitely take the meds for nausea. And senoket for constipation. My chemo journey was rough at times but so necessary. Best to do everything you can.  You will get past the fatigue and the other side effects  and find your new normal.  Rest take care of yourself and accept help from others.  I wasn’t able to work but everyone is different. Good luck. Hugs and prayers 
  • @angel27 - yes you are right! Senokot! When taking the drugs necessary for treatment and combating the side effects, constipation can be an issue. I found Senokot really helped.
  • Agreed - that Senokot and lots of water routine is very helpful.

@Tracy you can find more information on chemo and treatment by entering those words in the search bar located at the top right - above the orange New Discussion Bar.
    There is so much information on the site and there are also 6 pages of discussion topics.