Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TracyOCC - Regional Director BC, Alberta, Yukon, NWT and Nunavut

[Deleted User]
edited June 2020 in Introductions
Good afternoon ! My name is Tracy Kolwich and I am the Regional Director for the West- i have been with Ovarian Cancer Canada for over 10 years now and every day I am honored to be able to champion such important work in support of some of the most courageous women i have ever met and their families.
I live in beautiful Vancouver with my partner and our daughter Sarah who is 17 this year and is loving the transition to remote schooling and is indeed looking forward to summer and all that the season brings.
We are hoping to do some camping this year to spend time in nature and at long last be out of the house for an extended period. Looking forward to connecting with you all on this important resource ! Happy Wednesday!

Comments

• Jackie
    Jackie Peer Support Vol
    Thank you Tracy for all the work that you do. I live in your region and was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer in November 2011. I’m so grateful for the constant support and advocacy that is provided by Ovarian Cancer Canada. Personally, I’ve participated in the Walk of Hope six times. In addition, I just started volunteering for the OVdialogue Community Champions project.
  • Hello Tracy! Glad to meet you. I'm from Kitchener Ontario. Diagnosed in 2016 with Stage 1C Clear Cell. Have been part of OVDialogue since inception (thought not always active...) but recognize it is a wonderful place for Teal Sisters to connect. Thanks for everything you do for OCC - not only for those of us who are already aware, but those who will need the support of OCC and OVD in the future!
  • Jackie! Thank you for stepping up to take on the role of a community champion.. I am as well waiting to hear from a few ladies in the north - Yellowknife and Whitehorse - who i hope will as well be interested and help us connect women in those communities more frequently.
    We have a very committed local Walk volunteer committee and are excited to plan the first ever Virtual Walk for OCC this year.. If you are interested in becoming more involved in the local walk and or committee work we would be thrilled.. just let me know..
    Finally the sun is shining today.. i hope that it lasts through to the weekend after what seems an especially long stretch of rain...

• KA,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out..it really is extraordinary to be able to connect across the Country in this way - we are incredibly proud of OVdialogue and all that is has done for Teal Sisters everywhere,
    especially for those ladies in rural and remote communities. I am from Ontario originally, growing up in Mississauga with very fond memories of northern Ontario and cottage country in particular...and Kitchener.. almost found myself at the University of Waterloo after high school, instead... we made our way to beautiful BC to call home...
  • Welcome and thank you for all you do @TracyOCC - yes, this year's walk will be different.
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the create ways we will be participating!
  • and.. perhaps the opportunity to connect so many more individuals and communities who can now join from wherever they are - no limits when its virtual...!
  • Hi @TracyOCC, nice to 'meet' you.  I'm from Nova Scotia, but have lived in Saskatoon for the past 20 years. Vancouver Island and the Territories are the parts of our beautiful country I have yet to spend time in, but you're right - Vancouver is beautiful...I just love the weather and people there!  I'm hoping to visit my nephew in Whitehorse soon as he recently accepted an engineering position there....can't wait!  

OVDialogue helped me a lot in the early days when I had so many questions and didn't know anyone who'd ever had this disease.  Thank you for all you do!  I was diagnosed in 2018 with Stage 3c High Grade Serrous Carcinoma and am now in remission.  I hope you and yours are all keeping well and happy.  Best wishes, M

• Hi @TracyOCC- I as well, would like to echo my thanks for everything you do for our community -  a Virtual Walk this year will be quite unique and may bring more people out " virtually " who could not make the trek to the local walks . 
  • We have been really excited to see the creativity from Walkers so far - an incredible team based in Victoria - The PoleWalkers creates a different idea to fund raise for their team each month - they made masks this month in teal and lavender - i ordered a batch for my family and they are so comfortable to wear...
  • That is a great idea!!  

• It really is - i am looking for someone locally to see if we can make a batch as a means of fundraising - and will ask one of the fabric shops to see if they will donate some of the material
  • Does anyone in BC or Alberta make masks ? we are looking for a few volunteers to assist us so that we can sell them by donation around Walk time....
  • Jackie
    Jackie Peer Support Vol
    This sounds like a wonderful idea. I would definitely purchase a couple of masks from Ovarian Cancer Canada if they become available. 
  • ok - I will keep you posted - in the meantime there are a few available through the PoleWalkers team based in Victoria who are fundraising for their local Walk - not sure how many they still have available however you could reach out to see.. I purchased a set of teal and lavender for myself and family and they are super comfortable!