Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Prevention

StephOCC
StephOCC admin
edited October 2020 in Genetics
Ovarian Cancer Canada is dedicated to helping women with and at risk of ovarian cancer live fuller, better, longer lives.

One of the most effective ways of decreasing the number of women being diagnosed with ovarian cancer is through the identification of those at an increased genetic risk, followed by risk-reducing surgery in accordance with recommended guidelines.  As part of this new focus on prevention, we are assessing the experience and satisfaction with genetic counselling and risk-reducing surgery among Canadian women to identify gaps and opportunities for improvement.

If you or any family members have tested positive for gene mutation in BRCA or other ovarian cancer risk gene, have not been diagnosed with ovarian cancer and have completed or are considering risk-reducing surgery we would like to speak to you!!

A key element of this work is to speak with women who have recently gone through the genetic testing and/or risk-reducing surgery experience in a series of individual interviews. We are hoping to connect with women from all regions in Canada.  Interviews are expected to last approximately 30-60 minutes, through video conferencing.  We hope that this exercise will help us communicate more effectively with other women who may be at risk for ovarian cancer and advocate for positive system change.

If you have any questions about this process or are interested in participating, please contact Alicia Tone, Scientific Advisor at Ovarian Cancer Canada (atone@ovariancanada.org). 

Comments

• Thank you for letting us know about this Steph.  It's a great reminder to have another talk with my daughters and my sister about choosing when to have the risk-reducing surgery (they do plan to have it).  I'll certainly pass along the contact information you've provided above.  Thanks again, Maggiemae.  
  • I had genetic testing done as my mother had breast cancer. Results showed I didn't have the gene mutation for BRCA, colon cancer or ovarian cancer. My cancer was a 'fluke.' I seriously considered a mastectomy had I tested positive. I must admit, once I received the test results my stress level dropped. I realize I could still get cancer in one of those areas, but the genetic predisposition is not there, which in itself gives me hope for a healthy future.
  • Thank you for passing along the info!  Alicia is a great person who is super intelligent and passionate about her work.  I know she will appreciate hearing from them
  • I have been involved in many OCC Aweness events and have enjoyed them all. We are finding it easier and easier to talk to people (9 yrs ago they were so very afraid to talk to us about a disease they didn't know much about and were scared). Every year I find people want to know more and share more of theirs and their loved ones stories. I find it also helps to send out gentle fb reminders to my friends and family about awareness and prevention. Have a wonderful day everyone!
This discussion has been closed.