Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

ASCITES COMMON FOR YOU ?

HELLO, LADOES.
On this special day I send you positive energies during this confinement.

I was curious to know what were you're symptoms before and during your treatment ?? Was ascites very common for any of you??

Thank you 

Comments

• Hi Beaaaxz.  I had pleural effusion before treatment, as well as  ascites in the abdominal cavity.  The pleural effusion, where the ascites accumulates in the cavity around the lungs was very tiring. I found it difficult to stand or walk for more than a few minutes.    It interfered with breathing, and I was admitted to the hospital for nine days because as the ER doctor told me, I wasn't getting enough oxygen in my blood to maintain my vital organs.  They put a drain in my back to remove the liquid.  At the same time I also had ascites in my abdomen which was uncomfortable, and I could only sleep on my back.  My belly swelled up and i looked pregnant.
    After nine days, I was discharged - and I had received confirmation that the debulking surgery was planned for the following month at a different hospital.  However when I went there for the pre-admission process, they saw that the pleural effusion had come back so I admitted early for the surgery and spent another 9 days in hospital.  They again placed a drain in my back.  But, once I had the surgery and the tumour was removed, the situation resolved itself.  I also lost a lot of weight. 

Generally there was discomfort and the drains at times were painful.  It was difficult to function with the pleural effusion, it made me weak and very tired.

• @tigerlily thank you for the information !! My mom has ascite in her stomach that makes her alos seem pregnant. I guess because the tumor takes a lot of space it must block our natural bodily fluid from passing... I hope everything is better for you today :) She got drained 3 days ago and I can already see it growing back.. :/ 
  • I am doing very well now.  Once the tumor was removed, the ascites rapidly diminished  I hope your mom feels better after being drained.  Maybe the chemo will also help reduce the ascites. 
    Wishing you and your mom the very best :)
  • Hello @tigerlily and @beaaaxz ... yes, hoping the chemo assists with the reduction of the ascities. Hoping the medical team can provide some relief and direction for your mom @beaaaxz  
  • @beaaaxz Interestingly I had a massive plural effusion under my right lung which, like @tigerlily, seriously impeded my ability to breathe. In fact, it was the breathing issue that my GP finally reacted to and had me scanned; that resulting in finding the tumour in my ovary.  They did drain about 2 litres of fluid from the effusion but in assessing the contents there were no ascites in mine.  And no fluid elsewhere.  About 4 weeks later, just prior to my surgery, the fluid had built up again and necessitated being drained a second time.  Again, about 2 litres and no ascites.  My oncologist assured me that the chemo that was planned for me would keep the fluid from recurring and he was correct. It's been three years since completion of my original chemo and the fluid has not yet repeated even though my cancer recurred a year ago.  Currently I am the Lynparsa/Olaparib Light Trial to manage the recurrence, although I strongly suspect that may end soon.  It's been a great year and half, successful, run on the drug but indications are that it may have run its course.  I'll find out at the end of the month.