Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Intrduction

My name is Sandie, recently moved to Windsor area from the Toronto area.  I am a 16 year Stage III survivor.  This is positive news for all those currently going thru treatment.  Always in the shadows is the concern of return of this dread disease; however, I am very encouraged with hearing of new drugs & protocols.  

Comments

• Hi. My name is Suzanne. I'm 63 years old, diagnosed a year ago with an aggressive Stage 4 High Grade Serous. Wasn't expected to see Christmas last year but I am still here after surviving chemo and now feeling good. Anyone seeing me today, that didn't know about my diagnosis, would have no idea I am dealing with a life-ending disease. I completed chemo in the spring and am receiving maintenance treatments every three weeks of bevacizumab. Not sure how long this lull will last but I am living fully and enjoying every day. We have two sons: our oldest is married with two children, Olivia, 4, and Ryder 18 mos. Our youngest son died in an accidental fall 12 years ago at the age of 19 and our lives have never been the same since this devastating loss. Hoping to find support, encouragement and answers as we move along this path. 
  • Hello @Shortone - welcome to the site. So appreciate you sharing your story and all of what you have been through. It is nice to hear you are feeling good. Sorry to hear of your loss. May you have many supports to help you cope with all of this. Yes, I hope you do find some support and comfort from others who have shared their stories.
    Do you have access to an in-person support group and or psychosocial support services? Each cancer centre is different... I found much support in our psychosocial support services as they offered group and individual sessions on a variety of topics/concerns.
    Do you also have access to By Your Side and Still By Your Side guides - you can order them here:
    https://ovariancanada.org/living-with-ovarian-cancer/support-resources

• Attended at workshop at LHSC Saturday and signed up to receive a copy of both guides. Wasn't aware of this site before so hoping for worthwhile feedback and information. Have thus far had excellent support from family and a few close friends. Have heard Wellspring offers support group that might be helpful.
  •   Hello Shortone.   I am a member of the Ovarian cancer Support Group at Wellspring in London.  We meet the fourth Tuesday of each month at 1130 till 1300 hrs.   I am grateful to be part of the group as these women understand best what we all going through.  I have found good friends there.  I hope you will consider joining us.  
  • Hello @Soni and @Shortone - thanks - hope you get to connect in person as well! And what you need changes over time - so much support in the teal sisterhood!
    You can private message each other to exchange more particulars by clicking on the user name and then private message....those comments / posts won't show on the public site. 
  • And thank you so much @sandiepg - we need to hear those good stories of hope. Thank you for posting and welcome to the chat site. 
  • Thanks @Soni for the Wellspring information. Will try to get out to join you. Where does the group meet?