Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Scared but positive....

Hello, 

I am 42. I was diagnosed with cancer after I went to the emergency room because I looked like I was having twins....not pregnant...but turned out to be over 3 liters of ascities. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Sometimes I can't even believe those words come out of my mouth and it still feels numb. 

That was April 2. I have had three rounds of chemo. My hysterectomy will be on July 2nd. I don't recognize myself in the mirror without hair and it makes me so sad. I am positive but having a 9 year old with high functioning autism, taking a leave from my job, dealing with all my emotions has been so much. 

I will have 3 more rounds of chemo post surgery. Hope that I can gain some insight and knowledge from others who have been there too. Thank you for listening to my story.

Comments

• Hello @vibrance - this is the place to be for support I hope you will find and thank you for sharing what you have been through. There is also a topic on the site for preparing for surgery with tips to help you cope.
    Yes, the emotional impact can be intense and please know there is help and support for you. Wishing you all the best for coping with your situations. Your DR team and Cancer Centre should be able to help you navigate the resources.