Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Looking for any Stage 1C Serous Carcinoma High Grade (still working after cancer)

At 49 years of age I was diagnosed with Stage 1C Serous Carcinoma Aug 16, 2016.  I recieved 6 months of Carboplatin and Taxol - every 3 weeks.  I had every symptom ( I listened to my body) I said to my family Dr. It whispers his reply is No?  Well, I am telling you as a female it does. Yep, fired this Dr.!  I now have a lovely female Dr. that understands the female anatomy.   …My symptoms were extreme fatigue, feeling full after eating and then vomiting, peeing my pants, back pain and just over all unwell.  When I  went to my Family Dr. I said "I feel like my abdomen is going to fall out" my tumor was 10cm in July 29th and within 3 weeks grew to 15cm.   Insurance co. pushed me.  Never again.
I have been in and out of the hospital the last 7 months - WBC, Leukocytes, Platelets all extremely low, lung, kidney and urine infections.  Why? they do not know.  Run down … My thoughts.  Usually they are right my thoughts that is.   I am afraid to return to work - I work in an environment similar to a hospital.  Stressful job and high expectations.  I am the only one that does my job. 
If anyone else has been in this situation - I would love to hear from you.
Wishing everyone all the best.... Stay Well....

Comments

• Hello @beachgirl... welcome to the chat site. So this was in 2016 that you were diagnosed and treated and you are doing ok now or dealing with the recurrence (sorry, I can't tell from the dates you mentioned above? Yes, push them for an answer and the Dr team could support you if it is too much for going back into job stresses if this is a current issue. 

• Hi;-) I was dx with Stage 1C ov cancer (clear cell and adenocarcinoma) in Mar 2016, after an episode of ovarian torsion required removal of (grapefruit sized) ovary. Surgery again Apr 2016 (hysterectomy, oophorectomy of second ovary, cervix removal, staging). No chemo or further treatment at that point.

1st Recurrence (vag, liver) May 2017, chemo with carbo/paclitaxel. Radiation Nov-Jan 2018. NED.

2nd recurrence (vagina) Aug 2018, carboplatin caelyx. Very small spots remained in Jan. Carbo maintenance since Jan.

3rd recurrence (vagina, rectum, lungs) May 2019 - just found out a couple of days ago;-() so starting a week of radiation, then chemo in next few weeks.

I have been working full time throughout. My secret? Flexible job, good colleagues, supportive husband, not shiftwork, very stubborn and worried that if I don’t work I would just sit around worrying! Ha!

Everyone is different!🤷🏻‍♀️
    Hugs, Jen

• Hello @jen_k.. thank you so much for posting all you have been through. Wishing you all the best as you start this round of chemo and radiation.  Glad you have the energy to continue on your work and that it helps you cope - yes, whatever gets you through. Take good care of you and we hope to see you around the site. 
  • Hi Jen :)  Keep your spirits up and please know I am thinking of you!  Sending you positive vibes ...
  • Listen to your body...
  • Hi there;  I was recently diagnosed with Stage 1C  high grade serous OC.  I am 41.  Had initial hysterectomy surgery for prolapse issues, where they also removed a large cyst in my fallopian tube. My obgyn surgeon thought it was completely innocent and after surgery said everything looked great.  Pathology came back, and come to find there were 2 tumours in the cyst - high grade serous! Shocked was an understatement.   I was then booked for additional surgery to remove remaining ovary and omentum.  All lady parts are now gone. 

Because the OC is "high grade" and because my one tumour was protruding out the fallopian tube, my oncologist is sending me for 6 rounds of Carbo/Taxol. I start in 3 days!  

Stage one is good, but aggressive cancer (high grade) is not. My oncologist says OC is a sneaky bugger that likes to recur, so I am focusing on getting through this chemo and then putting together an aggressive screening plan to hopefully catch any recurrences right away. 

Best of luck to you, feel free to reach out anytime if you'd like to chat. 
  • Thank you for reaching out to me!!!

I am so glad they caught yours early...we sound so familiar in our disease.  Both so young .. (me) 49.   Remember to drink lots of water (alkaline) it's what I drink anyways - it helps with the PH and toxicity in our body's so they say.  I am 16 months post chemo - so I am saying it works! Apple cider vinegar in your water is good too.  I joined the "I can" program at the YMCA - there are studies showing that working out during/after chemo is a good thing - but slow.  It may be hard but, check with your Oncologist to see what they have heard.   Oh! - I also drink Essiac tea.  I have the recipe if you have patients to make it.  

You are right about the "High Grade" I find meditation helps me and "Yoga" level 1, a lot of support comes out of my Yoga studio.

I listen to Guided meditation by Sharon Salzberg - followed by peaceful Ocean Waves and Mindfulness Bells.  "relaxing".
    "Listen to your body" and pay attention to it.  
    Keep in touch - sending you lots healing wishes!  I am here is you have any questions at all. X