Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Instant Menopause - Here I come

Hi everyone;

Surgery is next week to remove my remaining ovary and Stage my Ovarian/Fallopian Tube cancer.   I'll be put into instant surgical menopause at the age of 40. 

I'm wondering if anyone can offer tips/suggestions on how to handle the effects, together with a new diagnoses of OC?  

Should I expect instant night sweats, more anxiety (if that's possible), etc?

I'd love to hear any experiences you've had. 

Comments

• Hi @collegal,

I was put in menopause a year ago at 33. The symptoms appeared 3-4 weeks after surgery.
    It started with night sweats but they diminished. I now have 1 or 2 hot flashes during the day but they really don't last long. Of course there's some anxiety, but more generally due to the disease itself, not the menopause I think, at least for me.
    I didn't experience any mood changes. But there's vaginal dryness.
    I find that exercise helps me with reducing hot flashes. And eating certain food can induce them (if it's too spicy, or a hot beverage on an already hot day, for example).

I hope that helps :)
  • Hi @Chezilme

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m hoping my symptoms will be manageable.  Like you said, just dealing with the OC Diagnosis has been hell, so I can’t imagine menopause being harder than this.  We’re you put on any kind of hormone therapy? When I asked my OB about that, he said they don’t do that anymore because of the risk of breast cancer.  It seems like every dr deals with it differently though.  
  • Hi @collegal,

If the cancer is hormone-dependent, which I think is always the case for OC, we can't be given hormones as it will fuel the cancerous cells and is also dangerous for the risk of breast cancer.
    I've read some literature about how HRT can have no effect, little effect or a strong effect on the risk of breast cancer but it all depends on the cancer type, the person and the history.
    Data are not strong enough yet so we can't say for sure.
  • nadiaC
    nadiaC Legacy
    Hi @collegal I had this surgery 5 weeks ago at 42. I have had night sweats but I think more due to anxiety than menopause. My doctor prescribed HRT (low dose estradiol patch) to improve my quality of life. She said the risk to my cancer (3c high grade serous) is minimal. I filled the prescription but haven’t started it yet. I just started chemo and don’t want to throw another thing in the mix. I am also going to do a bit of research first. Good luck with your surgery 💪🏼 
  • Hi@Collegal,@nadia@chezlime, I was just reading the posts.  I would like to let you know I was Ovarian cancer stage 1C High Grade Serous 2016.  I would not take anything for 3 years and got discouraged and felt so unwell.  I am sure this would help you  ...My oncologist gave me efforex ... yes, an antidepressant! I always said NO, but, honestly it works.  Wishing you nothing but the best.      
  • Hi @collegal @beachgirl @chezlime - I wanted to follow up on my earlier post. Last week I started taking mirtazapine, which is an antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication. It has helped with anxiety, hot flashes and sleep issues. The antidepressant effects take longer to kick in. I was nervous about using HRT and willing to explore other treatments. I previously dealt with postpartum anxiety using a combination of medication, exercise and cognitive behavioural therapy and plan on using the same tools now. Wishing you all the wellness and peace. 
  • hi@nadiac, I am so glad mirtazapine is working for you plus the CBT.  Be well,  <3
  • jiselle16
    jiselle16 Peer Support Vol
    @ShanaL Tagging you as you might find this thread helpful.
  • @jiselle16 Thank you so much! 💕