Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

fatigue

Options
fatigue was a big issue for me after the end of my chemo regimen.  I am stage 4a, and had severe pleural effusion before debulking surgery - that was exhausting.  Right before the end of chemo I got a bacterial blood infection from the PICC line, and the treatment I received for that IV antibiotics which made me sleep 16-18 hours a day.  It took me a long time to get back into a normal schedule, and then I suffered from insomnia.  With time, and learning to pace myself, taking up swimming regularly for exercise and continuing my regular meditation and mindfulness practice, I now feel almost myself again.
 I wonder if anyone else has ideas or suggestions from their own experience for combating cancer-related fatigue?

Comments

• As counter-intuitive as it seems, I find exercise helps ALOT with fatigue.  I do very gentle load bearing exercise like walking and yoga  everyday and I find it helps energize me.  i also do vitamin C drips and Vit b12 shots and that helps alot too

• JaneWest
    Options
    I had to learn to accept the fatigue. I listen to my body and do what it's telling me to do. Experience through this journey has taught me that if I push it, I will pay for it with a longer recovery period. For example, if I am out and about walking and standing for several hours, then I am on the couch for the rest of the day! It has improved over time, but the fatigue still does surprise me, 7 months post treatment. I'm not sleepy usually, my body just needs a physical rest. I wonder how long this can go on. I have learned to do short stints with most everything, followed by a bit of down time, then back at it again. 
  • I too feel fatigue in muscles sometimes and I just push to go do an aquafit class and I have to say that afterwards I am glad I did it.  Sometimes I walk as well.  I think there is also a mental aspect to it regarding just getting up and getting out.
  • midcanada
    Options
    I too suffer from fatigue .  I find I'm at my best before noon most days and as I am a very early riser(430 AM) I can still get things done most days.  It does effect our social life because I need to go to bed so early most days.  I really enjoy the energy boost I get on chemo Thursdays from the pre-chemo steroid IVs.  I become slightly manic  for a day or so.!

I'm on my 8th chemo cycle since March 2017 and my red blood cell count is  staying in the low 90's, plus I need to do Neupogen injections almost every week for my white blood cells.  

I do go for a walk every morning....only 1 1/2 kms and I notice it takes me longer lately.  My doctors have given approval for me to rejoin my gym but I will wait for the blood situation to improve or for fridgid weather to descend.  I really miss the gym....DH and I went 5 or 6 mornings a week before I started treatment.  DH is back in the routine and I envy him but right now I don't think I would get my money's worth.
  • JaneWest
    Options
    @midcanada I liked those steroids during chemo as well!! Kind of miss that energy.
  • From all the things that I have heard and read, it seems the most important thing is to find that balance that works for you - listening to what your body needs, and making the effort to get out and exercise or just do something that brings you joy by whatever way works for you, and adjusting it as you go along.