Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Are you an empath?

Hello I recently have come to understand that I am not just a highly sensitive individual, but it appears that I am an empath. This has made me realize that I may be processing my diagnosis differently than others due to my empathy.  For example, there has been some correlation that an empath processes medications differently.   This was true for me when they prescribed Dilaudid as I had a really nasty reaction on a low dose.  Also, empaths can easily be overwhelmed by external stimulus.  Need I say more that I sometimes feel I'm going crazy.
I share this thread with a hope that other empaths may experience the same issues and it is completely normal.  It is important these individuals understand their boundaries as they made need to modify their instructions slightly to meet their needs.
An example for me is that I have to limit my time spent on this site as I can easily be overwelmed with others emotions and feelings and sends me in an emotional overload.  Also I process extremely stressful situations better alone because I can only handle my emotions at the time without having to deal with other people's emotions.
Here is a link to an article that may be of further interest:
https://drjudithorloff.com/

Comments

• Hi @Ingrid_Canon - thank you so much for sharing this. Yes, that is a good plan to know your emotions and how to manage, as well as knowing where to turn for help. 
  • Thanks @Flowergirl.  It could also extend to something like chemotherapy where it may be best for me to be on the outskirts rather than 'right in the middle'. My natural inclination would be to pick up the emotions and feelings of the others getting therapy thereby adding more stress to my own therapy, so it may be best for me to consider a more private area. 
  • those are really good coping techniques and thank you again for sharing - it helps people to understand and plan for sure.