Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Rounds of chemo

Options
I have had 6 rounds of carboplatin and paxitaxol twice, and 6 rounds of carboplatin and   gemcitabine. My oncologist has told me eventually he will run out of options for me and he will only be able to manage my pain. 

My last 6 rounds of chemo didn’t work and will need more in a couple of months. Giving me a bit of a break for now until symptoms progress more or I have my next appt in Nov (whichever comes first).

Does anyone know how many rounds of chemo one person can have? Or how many different variations of chemo there is in Canada right now.

Comments

• Flowergirl
    Options
    Hello @TealSister - welcome to the chat site. sorry you are having issues with the chemo options. 
    There is a list of treatment medications on the chemotherapy topic - however not all are used in Canada and every situation is different so it will depend on what your oncologist suggests.
    Are you eligible for a clinical trial?
  • Flowergirl where is the list of chemos? There isn’t any clinical trials that I’m elegible for unfortunately. 
  • Flowergirl
    Options
    Hello @TealSister - you may want to review the recurrence topic.
    I found another list here:https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/drugs/ovarian
    Keep in mind not all are approved or available in Canada. Your medical team should be able to discuss with you the options.
    Sending positive vibes your way and hope you are feeling ok. I'll also private message you.
  • @TealSister I have provided a link to a listing of all the drugs used for ovarian cancer patients.  It is a US listing but it can be used to ask your doctor.  They can use them individually or in combination. I know that the more they try them the more premedications they like to give to ward off allergic reaction.The number depends on the doctor's view. I hope this helps.  

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/drugs/ovarian
  • Thank you for your help😊