Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis ([email protected]).

ANYTHING BUT CANCER...

Anything but CANCER!

Obviously Ovarian cancer is what has brought us to this website and group, but sometimes we just need a break from talking about it. When you are in treatment or even past it, it can consume every part of your life and thoughts. I predict there will be many other things we have in common besides that awful disease. So for just a moment let’s forget about cancer and talk about something else.

Going to the basics:

What 3 movies could you watch over and over again and never get sick of?

The first movie you saw in the theatre?

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now?

First concert you went to?

What is your favourite food?

Who is the last person you high fived?

And finally it’s cold in Canada right now but we can still have fun so what is your favourite activity to do in winter (even if your answer is travel somewhere warmer 😉  )?

Comments

• What 3 movies could you watch over and over again and never get sick of?

The first movie you saw in the theatre? ET

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now? Shania Twain - I was a huge fan back in my teen years and still am

First concert you went to? N Sync 😂

What is your favourite food? Tie between perogies and quesadillas 

Who is the last person you high fived? Likely one of my little friends I watch every day 🙂

And finally it’s cold in Canada right now but we can still have fun so what is your favourite activity to do in winter (even if your answer is travel somewhere warmer 😉  )? Snowshoeing. I got a pair last year for Christmas and they helped get me out of my cancer funk.

• Thank you @jemgirljeri - a fun topic for us.

Grease, Pretty Woman and anything Disney

Grease

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now?

Well, you know I have the album - lots of pics from the movie on the cover .... Grease is the word.......and that is dating myself!

Currently, I am into Shania's new album "Now" - and love to do as @AmandaRoseRebs says - "blast your music and just dance"

Glass Tiger way back in the 80s

What is your favourite food? Spaghetti 

Who is the last person you high fived? a random stranger at a sports event

And finally it’s cold in Canada right now but we can still have fun so what is your favourite activity to do in winter (even if your answer is travel somewhere warmer 😉  )?

Skate and travel

Thanks again for posting - nice to focus on the good stuff!

• terrylee said:

The first movie you saw in the theatre? ET

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now? Shania Twain - I was a huge fan back in my teen years and still am

First concert you went to? N Sync 😂

What is your favourite food? Tie between perogies and quesadillas 

Who is the last person you high fived? Likely one of my little friends I watch every day 🙂

And finally it’s cold in Canada right now but we can still have fun so what is your favourite activity to do in winter (even if your answer is travel somewhere warmer 😉  )? Snowshoeing. I got a pair last year for Christmas and they helped get me out of my cancer funk.

I forgot to answer the first question....3 movies....Any Harry Potter, Dirty Dancing, The Parent Trap
  • Great idea...I'm game!!
    3 movies...Ghostbusters, Uncle Buck and Christmas Vacation
    1st movie seen in theatre....Jungle Book (back in the early 60's)
    music I like....has to be Adele right now
    1st concert....The Monkees
    favourite food....sushi with Thai food a close second
    last person to high five...my granddaughter 
    favourite winter activity...knitting, crotcheting or reading

• This is the fun page / topic - if you would like to share - post here!
  • @jemgirljeri - skating today was fantastic - hope you have been able to get out and about!
  • Jackie
    Jackie Peer Support Vol

What 3 movies could you watch over and over again and never get sick of? The Color Purple, Schindler's List, and Dances with Wolves 

The first movie you saw in the theatre? The Sound of Music

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now? As a kid I enjoyed the music of the Partridge Family with David Cassidy, as a teenager I liked British and Irish groups like U2 and the Eurythmics, today I often listen to music by Canadian musicians like Leonard Cohen, Neil Young and Jann Arden

First concert you went to? It was Billy Joel.

What is your favourite food? Spaghetti and other Italian pasta dishes

Who is the last person you high fived? I don’t high five often but I exchanged a high five with Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi at last year’s Walk of Hope.

And finally it’s cold in Canada right now but we can still have fun so what is your favourite activity to do in winter? I admit that I mainly like to stay in where it’s warm. However, one of my favourite winter activities has always been a trip to Banff to look at the snow-capped peaks and swim in the hot springs. 

• lakelady3
    edited February 2018
    Three Movies I could watch over and over are  The Fisher King with Robin Williams,  Dirty Dancing and  Cat on a Hot Tin Roof,  Music I love Elvis, John Hyatt and Aaron Neville. My 1st concert was Sha Na Na and Dr John in Peterborough. My favourite food is Chocolate. The last person I high fived was my 3 year old grandaughter.  It is very cold here today minus 20 and windy, but I still love snowshoeing and shovelling. This is a great way to get to know our fellow comrades in OVC. Oh yeah, the 1st movie I saw in the theatre was Son of Flubber (the Shaggy Dog series with Fred McMurray )
  • Into recipes anyone? this is the latest, a fantastic bagel that is super fast, tastes great toasted and you add extras in.
    It makes 4 regular size but I half them to end up with 8 minis
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/easy-bagel-recipe/
    I'm all about the add ins - try lemon (peel and a little squeeze of juice) poppyseed or try adding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a handful of oatmeal.

Do you have a fav recipe?
  • @Flowergirl I love the recipes by Skinnytaste!!!! I used a lot of her recipes during my Weight Watchers journey. One of my most used recipes are these zuchinni muffins. I love all of Laura in the kitchens recipes. I make these muffins almost every Saturday,  individually wrap them and freeze them for the week. Grab them in the AM and they are perfect by snack time!

http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/chocolate-chip-zucchini-bread-muffins/
  • Thanks @red1976 ... I'll try those too... it is nice that they include the Weight Watchers points.
    My go to is banana bread or muffins - same version, super easy and fast. Yum!
  • This is my new favourite muffin recipe! I don't like pumpkin but I love these! And they're bran, and as per previous discussions, who can't use some bran 😂

http://www.kraftcanada.com/recipes/spiced-pumpkin-bran-muffins-184118?crlt.pid=camp.HJyQXdAFw4O8

• Thanks @terrylee - tired this on the weekend and added dried fruit and bran buds soaked in buttermilk - so good!
  • Gardening is around the corner - if you are into it, what is your fav flower or veggie to plant? 
    I have a peony plant that was my grandmother's -from back in the 50's... hardy plant, great big, pink blooms every year!
    also love those garden tomatoes and beans!
  • Every year I start flowers from seed and hope for the the best! I usually end up making at least 1 trip to the green house lol
  • Thinking of spring bake & craft sales - something exciting to look forward to!
  • and more great recipes - it is that time of year for Ice Cream
    This one has ginger in it - leave it out if you don't like it
    You will gobble all this up - it is so good
    http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking-and-desserts/recipe/no-churn-rhubarb-ginger-ice-cream
    Enjoy
  • I found a recipe for apple fritter muffins but didn't really like denser consistency so I altered it a bit. Here's the link to the original and my version below 🙂

http://www.thebakingchocolatess.com/country-apple-fritter-muffins/

A P P L E  F R I T T E R  M U F F I N S

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 oil

2 eggs

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour (I use half white and half whole wheat)

1 3/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda 

1/2 cup milk

1 large apple peeled and cup into small pieces tossed in cinnamon 

Preheat oven to 350. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon and set aside. In large bowl, beat white sugar and oil until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add milk and vanilla and beat until blended in. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until just blended. Fold in apples.

Fill each muffin cup with liner half full. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon mixture in top then top with remaining batter. You may sprinkle leftover cinnamon and brown sugar on top.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

• ooh these would be yummy - thanks 
  • Hi everyone - before the holiday crafting and baking begins, if you still have pumpkin left - these are fantastic - high fibre low sugar -taste yummy:
    https://www.peakmarket.com/recipesearch.cfm
  • As always - if you are doing holiday baking at this time of year - please share your special treat recipes 
    Crafts too! distractions help!
  • It is that most wonderful time of the year... holiday baking and crafting!
    Feel free to post your creations here :)
    Those instapots and crock pots can be your best friend to help make meal prep easy.

• HI everyone, This is my first time on this particular page - I'd not noticed it before, but I like it!  I hope it's not too late to play the game that @jemgirljeri posted above.  These trivia games are fun, so here goes:  

1. Titanic 2. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World 3. Anything Disney or Jerry Lewis 

Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows

Kid: Old Country Music and Johnny Rivers at the Whiskey-A-Go-Go; Teen: CCR & Aprilwine; Young Adult: Carole         King & James Taylor  Now:  Bob Dylan, J.J. Cale, all the above, and many more

Aprilwine at the Halifax Forum

Lasagna and Kale Salad

My daughter

And finally what is your favourite activity to do in each season?  

Spring: plant a garden; Summer: Swim outdoors; Fall: Take my doggos hiking / Sit around a campfire; Winter:                 Sit in a hot tub outside and look at the stars

Any other takers?  Let's play!

• LOL, just saw this game too and killing time before my next scan so here goes...

1. It's Complicated  2 Under the Tuscan Sun  3. Toss up between any of the Ocean's  or Diehards series

Hate to admit it but it was the Disney cartoon version of Song of the South (in the 50's) that today is considered totally socially unacceptable.  The next was Lady and the Tramp...or maybe Bambi.

Kid: I don't think they even had albums when I was a kid...we'd just graduated from 78's to 45's.   Teen: Every album the Beatles and the Stones ever produced  Young Adult: The Who, Janis Joplin, anything my husband played on  Now: Anything from the 40's, 70's and 80's

Beatles at Maple Leaf Gardens

Anything french...I studied at the Cordon Bleu in Paris in my twenties and have keep the butter and cream industry in business ever since

Does my cocker spaniel count? Cash does a mean high five when there's a treat involved!

And finally what is your favourite activity to do in each season?  

Spring: Plan our veggie and flower gardens Summer: Laze around on a lawn chair in the sun with a good book and and even better margarita.  Fall: Long walks watching the year begin to go to sleep Winter: Get ready for the Christmas season.

Any other takers? Le'ts keep this going.....much more fun than stressing about another IV of dye for me today!

• I'll give it a go!

1. Shawshank Redemption  2 Blood Diamond  3. Christmas with the Cranks or Christmas Vacation

The first movie you saw in the theatre?  Honestly can't remember.  Thinking maybe Smokie and the Bandit?

Kid:   Tiffany and Debbie Gibson Teen: Bon Jovi's New Jersey album, Roxette, and Fleetwood Mac    Young Adult:  I remember listening to the George Straight Pure Country album about a million times one summer I lifeguarded at an outdoor swimming pool  Now: Anything!  Still love Bon Jovi, anything country, pop, classical.  Anything goes now

Tiffany - Saskatoon.  I still remember what I wore!!

What is your favorite food? 

I love food!  But I must say, we holiday'd in Vietnam and that was probably the BEST food we have ever eaten on holiday

My oldest daughter.  Just finished her 2nd last orthodontics appointment.  Braces come off next month!!

And finally what is your favorite activity to do in each season?  

Spring: I love running outside and am a fair weather girl, so spring let me get back to it! Summer: I love boating and camping with the family, and warm nights with bonfires  Fall:  I love the changing of the leaves, crisp mornings and HARVEST Winter: Ski holidays!!

Any other takers? Le'ts keep this going.....

• What 3 movies could you watch over and over again and never get sick of? Sound of music  Its a wonderful life  Shall we dance  hard to pick just 3

The first movie you saw in the theatre? Incredible Mr Limpet I think 

Music can bring us back to a moment in an instant so what is the album for you as a kid, teenager, young adult, adult and now? As a kid I also enjoyed the music of the Partridge Family with David Cassidy, as a teenager I liked Beatles and unfortunately it was also disco era lol, today I often listen to music by Michael Buble  James Taylor  some jazz

First concert you went to? I honestly don't remember  maybe Donna summer?

What is your favourite food? Too hard to chose  dessert!

Who is the last person you high fived? Does a dog count?  Archie 

In summer I like to garden. In spring I plan my garden and start seeds. I love the colour of fall leaves. In winter I like to stay snug inside and watch the snow.  I like to read bake and my passion is amateur theatre which I have been involved in on stage and off most of my life.