Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

MAY 08, 2018 - World Ovarian Cancer Day

Flowergirl
Flowergirl Legacy
edited May 2018 in Events

On World Ovarian Cancer Day this Tuesday, May 8 use your voice to raise awareness that can save the lives of the women you love. Ovarian Cancer Canada will be bringing you the opportunity to share your story and perspective on this important women’s health issue with your elected representatives. Your voice matters as we continue to press government for ovarian cancer research funding. 

Stay tuned to Facebook or Twitter, or read the upcoming issue of Seeds of Hope to make your plan of action.

Comments

• Thanks @Flowergirl for letting everyone know that World Ovarian Cancer Day is coming up!  

The focus for Ovarian Cancer Canada this year for May 8 is to encourage people to use our voices and urge the government to invest in more research specifically for ovarian cancer.  We have been involved in government advocacy in recent months, including lobby days on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, meetings with local MPs and MPPs and letter writing campaigns. You may have heard about these activities from your Regional Director and through our newsletters.  This year, we are once again encouraging people to write to their local representatives asking for an investment of $10 million.  We have set up a page on our website to make this easy for you and have several ideas to help you spread the word.  We will also have a social media campaign that you can participate in.  Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

You can also share your story with your elected representatives.  Be sure to click on the links below to learn more.

Other activities for World Ovarian Cancer Day vary across the country including: information tables at Cancer Centres, Walk of Hope launch parties, other local fund raising events, and illuminations of local landmarks to name a few.  These activities are led by local individuals or walk teams who want to use World Ovarian Cancer Day as a vehicle to raise awareness (and money) for ovarian cancer.  If you want to learn more about you can do, check out the links below and also talk to your Regional Director about your ideas and what may be happening in your area.

http://ovariancanada.org/stories-and-media/Stories-of-advocacy/2018/Plan-for-community-action-this-World-Ovarian-Cance

http://ovariancanada.org/Get-Involved/Advocate/Email-your-elected-reps

You can find the contact information for your Regional Director here:
    http://ovariancanada.org/about-us/our-team?lang=en-ca
  • I am heading to Kingston with a friend for the lighting up of city hall tomorrow. Already sent a letter to MP...this is great that we are getting a chance to do something to help, no matter how small a gesture. 
  • Thank you @Marilyn
    Yes, that is great to hear @KarenMari53
    Hoping everyone can join the Live chat tomorrow at 7:00 PMCST 
  • Hello, 
    This is a great time to raise awareness. My husband and I have emailed our MP and we have emailed some of our relatives and friends to ask them to email their MP.
    My husband plans to put up a poster about ovarian cancer day and fact sheet at his cubicle and on the bulletin board by the elevators at work. Also I will post about it on Facebook.
  • That is great @kittycat.

For anyone wanting to pass along some information to family, friends, contacts - here is the link for the petition.
    It is a step by step easy to do form and takes less than 5 minutes!

Today, on World #OvarianCancerDay, send your federal elected representatives a letter advocating for #ovariancancer research. Just five minutes of your time can make a big difference.

Write now at ovariancanada.org/Get-Involved/Advocate/Email-your-elected-reps

• Hope you can join us tonight at 7:00 PM CST for the live chat - we have an exciting "project" we can all contribute to!
  • Today I was able to distribute the pamphlets about Ovarian Cancer to some local businesses in my area - everyone was receptive so that was nice - hair salons, tan shop, pharmacy store and medical clinic / physio.
    Since there is no reliable screening test, education is the next best tool!
  • Where did you get the pamphlets?
    Disappointed....I drove to Kingston because they were supposed to light city hall up teal. I stayed tilll 9:30 pm...still bright green and purple alternating, no teal.🤔

• @KarenMari53 - how disappointing - that is too bad....wondering if they were trying to "make teal" with those colors and it didn't work :#
    Hope you had a good day anyways.
    PS:
    I can tell you more about the pamphlets - just direct message me and I'll check back with you soon - thanks
  • I e-mailed my MP about the need for funding.  But there were some other suggestions, like e-mail friends, facebook, and I just could not do it!   Because "More than half the women diagnosed do not live to see another five years. These survival rates haven't improved in five decades..."    So I found out about my ovarian cancer in Nov. 2016 and maybe I'll be dead by November 2021?  I cannot think that way.  I do not want my friends looking at me that way. My oncologists told me that it's important to be positive. So what I'm thinking is that there must have been some steps forward recently, and that 50% figure is about to improve. http://http//montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/promising-new-test-for-common-uterine-cancers-has-montreal-connection    They talk about ovarian cancer in the article. 
  • Hi @Elsie13.    I totally understand why you are hesitant to send this to your friends.  It can be really hard to hear and when dealing with statistics it can be quite daunting.  Our message to the general public and politicians includes this kind of information so that people understand the great need for donations and research money and to motivate them to act.  But when you have the disease, the stats can be hard to hear for you and the people who care about you.  Thanks for sending your own email! 
  • Hi @KarenMari53.  Sorry about Kingston.  I am checking into what may have happened.  If I learn anything, I will let you know....
  • At the support group yesterday, they said the lighting guy just couldn't get it to go teal. They met up there at 9 pm or so but I didn't stick around and I hadn't met any of them yet. Next year!☺