Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Upcoming Webinar: Genetics - Everything you always wanted to know!

Hi everyone,
Ovarian Cancer Canada is starting a 3-part webinar series on Genetics and Ovarian Cancer. The first session is next week:
Thursday, March 1 at 4pm Eastern Time in English and Wednesday, February 28 at 12 noon in French.

Do you have questions that you would like to ask? 
You can post them here ahead of time and they will be answered during the presentation. 

Register and learn about the speaker at: http://ovariancanada.org/events-support/go-online-for-support/webinar-series

Comments

• Hi Marilyn et al ...   March 1 sounds like an interesting webinar.   With my family history and discovery of genetic mutations after 12 years of searching, I am anxious to hear what Laura Palmer may know about our RAD51D and PALB2.  Family members tested have more negatives than positives, but it's scary for those that have the same mutation as I and likely my mother who were diagnosed with Stage IIIC Epithelial Serous.   

I would like my query put forth as a question please.       thanks 

• Hi @HelRuth.  Thanks for your question.  I will raise the question about RAD51D and PALB2.  The second webinar is about genetic testing and the third one will address issues for the individual and family members when they test positive.  Do I understand you correctly that you were diagnosed with Stage III Serous or just your mother?
  • Our diagnosis were identical.  Stage IIIC Serous
  • Hi! This sounds like a great webinar. My cancer was also stage 111C ( primary peritoneal epithelial serous) of gynaecological origin but cells were undifferentiated. I had gene testing Feb. 2015. A rare variant was detected. A deletion and insertion in exon 18 of the BRCA gene was detected. This variant is predicted to cause an in-frame deletion of four amino acids from codon 2679 to codon 2682. To their knowledge, this variant was not listed in any databases.They re-tested to confirm their results.  It could be categorized as an ACMG 3 variant or have no possible significance. No other variances on the BRCA genes were found when tested. My mother died from breast cancer and my female cousin had breast cancer. It is unknown if either had/ has genetic mutations. ( Two out of four females in my family).  My questions to you are : 1. Are there any additional genetic tests  available or beneficial to me now or would any family members"qualify" in Ontario, for testing now compared with 2015? 2. I didn't "qualify" for breast MRI's, because it isn't a known mutation. Has that changed in Ontario? 3. Would I, upon recurrence, be eligible and/or possibly benefit from a PARP inhibitor in Ontario? I don't expect you to discuss this in great depth, but I would like to be aware of my options for diagnostics and future treatment.
    Thank you so much. Annika
  • Hi @Annika.  Thanks for your questions!  I will summarize what you have said and ask the speaker.  The second webinar on March 15 is specifically on genetic testing so it may be a good idea to register for that one too.  The third one in April will address medical management and treatment for women with mutations and their family members.