Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Genetic Testing versus Genome Testing

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had genome testing done in Canada, where it is done and at which point in the cancer journey?  Recently I was reading about this online and discovered that genetic and genome testing are a bit different (hoping I understood this correctly).  What I've read online is that genetic testing checks for ones individual gene mutations while genome testing tests a tumor's molecular composition.  Now I wonder if genome testing is common in Canada and where? 

My mother had her genetic testing done already but genome testing wasn't discussed with us or offered yet which I'm thinking why not?  Isn't it better to learn early on about someone's individual cancer tumor so that if there is specific medication or targeted therapies available, it can be discovered very early? 

Anyone with any insight or experience on this?  

Comments