Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Community Champion. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).
Ovarian Cancer Canada is thrilled to share that we have some exciting updates on the way for OVdialogue. These enhancements are designed to strengthen our community and make your experience even better.

Stay tuned for more details, and feel free to share your thoughts below. Let’s make this community even stronger!

Pleural Effusion Drainage (Thoracentesis)

I am new to pleural effusions and pleural effusion drainage. It turns out that I did not require the drainage because the fluid decreased significantly, making it unnecessary for the drainage. But I would like to tell you about my experience for preparation for the drainage procedure at PMH.

There were no pre-procedure instructions (could eat normally) and there were no post-procedure instructions or restrictions (could drive immediately following the procedure).

I arrived at the urgent care unit for the pleural effusion drainage and they asked me to go upstairs for an xray prior to the procedure because the CT scan showing the pleural effusion was over a month ago. I checked in at xray and waited maybe 5 minutes to be called in for the xray. Xrays did not take long and I went back down to the urgent care unit.

When you check in for the drainage, they assign you to a bed/room. The procedure is carried out while you are sitting up on the bed. They bring a portable ultrasound machine into the room. First they check the pleural effusion and determine the best route to access the fluid. The ultrasound is used to guide the needle to the fluid during the procedure (much like a biopsy).

For me, they used the ultrasound to confirm the findings of the xray = reduced fluid.

That is all I have because I have not had the procedure. If/when that actually happens, you can be sure I will share my experience. 😀

Comments

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

Thank you @GloHo for starting this thread under a new title and I am hoping other ladies will contribute their own experiences here. It would be a wealth of information to have in one spot when they do write about it.

I am thankful that you did not require a drainage as that is positive news for yourself. Thanks again for sharing!

• Thank you for this information, I was wondering about this. My last PET scan showed "moderate to large amount of ascites" in my abdomen, and my oncologist told me that when my symptoms are really bothersome, I need to call them and get the fluid drained.

I am measuring my girth every day, and monitoring my symptoms, so I am curious about how symptomatic other people were before getting a drainage?

• @Sylviequebecbc

I’m glad you found the information useful. I ended up not having the pleural effusion done so I couldn’t provide details on the actual procedure. I have also had some notes about ascites but it has never gotten to the point of discussing drainage.

There is a difference between pleural effusion and ascites but I know there are drainage procedures for both.

Pleural effusion = fluid around lungs Drainage = Thoracentesis

Ascites = fluid in abdomen
    Drainage = Paracentesis

I would also be interested in hearing more about symptoms and whether or not there is anything (diet, exercise, meds, etc.) you can do to keep it stable.