Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

@GloHo

Options

vomiting nausea zero energy fatigue wanted to lie down all the time out of breath with two steps. Same like immunotherapy side effects basically. Don’t forget I still have ascites accumulating at the same time. Now still at hospital. Apparently my adrenal glands are ok, but they want bone scan (only happening April 22) and they are adding ultrasound because I had like a gallbladder attack . My electrolytes are better but one is still low. They say I have refeeding syndrome (for lack of eating in the last two months) need to reintroduce food slowly (too bad they forget to tell me the first few days since my family kept bringing a family style buffet here 😂)

Comments

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options

Gosh @Lorraine5845 That is a lot to take in. Refeeding Syndrome eh? I had to look that one up and find out more about that. Do you or they know how this started for you? I am thankful they know what it is and that they are going the slow and low route for re-introducing food for you. I would not want you to have a setback so soon again.

It is funny how family/friends respond when one is having an absence of food or have been ill as well. They all want to feed you. I know that for me, after I have a bowel obstruction, I have to be careful and slow with introducing food back into my diet. When my parents were here for my last one, they wanted me to eat and drink. It was very hard for them to grasp that I would but in time because it is how my body works. So, you are not alone in this!

How has the ascites been since being in hospital and how is it being managed? I know it is very uncomfortable from other ladies posts on the forum. Have you been able to get out of bed and move around either alone or with assistance?

I am sending you some healing hugs and will keep hoping that your recovery keeps moving forward. Hang in there. 💕

• @Lorraine5845 have they been able to get your nausea/vomiting under control? Dealing with that plus the ascites would definitely wear you down and make you out of breath. Are you able to consume any nutrients that agree with you? Is there a plan from your healthcare providers for the ascites? It sounds like your family is being very supportive…food seems to be a universal love language. Please keep us all posted on how you’re doing. Thinking of you. 🤗

• @HorseGirl i get the ascites drained regularly (twice a week). But on top of that my calcium was almost double what it should be and causes the same type of issues. The two are more in control and my appetite is definitely back with no acid reflux or vomiting. My ct scan of today did not show any worsening from the last ct scan so I took that piece of good news today.

• @Strongwoman removing the ascites and keeping my pigtail in was the best decision . As it does keep accumulating it would make no sense to do a new incision every time. Now I go to my local clinic and get it drained twice weekly. For two months, I barely ate now I’m devouring hospital food if you can believe it.

• @Lorraine5845 I’m so glad to hear that you’re able to eat, even if it is hospital food! I can still remember the taste of a ghastly tuna sandwich that I managed to eat 5 days after debulking surgery. After two months, you must be willing to eat pretty much whatever they have?

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options

@Lorraine5845 that does sound like keeping the pigtail has been the smarter move for you. Not eating for two months, explains the refeeding syndrome to me better as well. I am very thankful that things have turned around for you and it is definitely a good sign when one is looking forward to eating the hospital food. I am hopeful that things will keep trending that way and you will be able to come home sooner rather than later. Please keep us posted on how you are doing and if they release you soon.

Take care💖