Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Daily Reminders

Options
Hi ALL.  I am an avid Pinterest gal and found this.  I would like to share it with everyone.

It's okay to be emotional
Having compassion is a good thing
You are enough the way you are
Doing nothing every once in a while is ok
Nobody's life is as perfect as it looks
It's ok if your path looks different from others
Don't rush through life, live slowly
Spreading positivity will make you feel good
You have to believe in yourself first
It's ok to change your mind
You don't have to get along with everyone
Don't stress about the small things
There will always be bad days, don't let them turn into bad weeks

This is all food for thought and reminders to be gentle with ourselves as we go through our journeys. When the well wishes of others can seem like "too much" and "negative" or "just not ready to hear that yet" and that you want to shut them all out.  It's ok. Your process is your process.  Reminders to oneself is that we don't get stuck in the smallness we can make ourselves and our circles. To know there are resources out there to help us all get through our journeys.  That we don't walk this walk alone but with others by our side, not in front and not behind but beside us all along the way.  That your today looks different from someone else's today because that is where you are at in this very moment.  To look back at where you started every once in awhile of your journey and where you are today because of science and healthcare and the advances made in medicines.  Not to be angry because there is a lacking in certain aspects of the disease but to know by sharing that we are all contributing to the advancements of science.  Little pieces of you and you and you will all help the researchers, scientists and medical community to be able to pull all these pieces together and hopefully figure this puzzle out.  That today is that to-day. Not tomorrow and not yesterday.  Live in the moment.  Find something that brings you joy or puts a smile on your face if, even temporary.  Basque in the sunshine when the warmth of the sun is out and embrace the love and support from family and friends.  We are one of many and also we are ourselves.  Be more fluid and go with the flow and let things ebb and flow.  
These are my thoughts for today.  I hope they inspire you and maybe inspire some conversation around it and share things that bring you joy or where you are at today. 
 <3 

Comments

• Strongwoman
    Options
    To be courageous, you don’t have to stop being afraid — you can be afraid and still do what you want to do.

I felt this fit a lot of us.  We have some starting chemo for the first time this week, others surgery, others may find out they have ovarian cancer and the rest of us that sit in our own journeys sometimes not knowing where they are headed.  Another reminder that it is okay not to be okay. That we are ALL courageous as we keep moving forward with our own journeys.  Helping others along the way and finding support in those that surround us with their love and kindness.  So, go do what you want to do today and are able to do.  We don't know what tomorrow will bring.  Live in the now. Take a deep breath in through your nose, breathe slowly out with your mouth and envision what that will look like today for you. If nothing else, you have performed a relaxation technique.  Take a couple more breaths and just.......BE.  <3

• @Strongwoman thank you so much for your positivity and encouragement.  Your attitude inspires me.  What a difference you are making in the lives of others! ❤️
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    A poem I found and wanted to share:

"exchange
    your overthinking
    for overwhelming grace,
    let it pull
    you from the forest
    to a wide and open space;
    a clearing in the wild
    where Light will fill the ground
    where anxious thoughts
    learn surrender
    and gratitude is found.
    for tomorrow is on its way,
    and it will be here in its time
    so be present here today
    with a rested, peaceful mind."
    --Morgan Harper Nichols

• Strongwoman
    Options
    This contains an image of
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    inspirational quotes positive Daily Motivation Quotes Daily Quotes Motivational Quotes Life Quotes Love Quotes Happiness Quotes Inspirational Quotes inspirational quotes positive motivation happiness quotes positive happiness quotes positive short short positive sayings happiness inspirational quotes

I thought this was a fitting quote.  I, myself, have been quite guilty of attempting to control whatever I can.  I feel I do this because so much of this disease is uncontrollable.  I am learning to have faith in my team, supports and do exactly what the quote says. Some days it is very hard and other days, I am like, yes I can do this!  
    What are your thoughts on the quote?
  • @Strongwoman this quote is meaningful to me as it serves as a reminder to simply be still and exist.  
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    That is a wonderful quote @HorseGirl
    Thank you for sharing! <3
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety. Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in. Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense. This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations, to waste a moment on the yesterdays.

Fitting for so many of us that have bad days and a reminder that it is called to-day and not a forever day.  We need to remind ourselves before we go to bed that we have done what we can and tomorrow may bring something new.  When that new day arises, to not focus on the yesterdays but to look forward to see what the new day will bring and all the new days there after.  
    What will you choose to do?  <3

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options

• @Strongwoman thank you for the positivity this morning.  I needed this!   I took part in an online support group session yesterday, and although it was great to connect with others who are experiencing the same issues, oddly it left me feeling anxious.  I think that because there’s NED, I’m in denial about the reality of reoccurrence and the meeting brought it all
    to the surface. 
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    @HorseGirl I am thankful that the post here brought you some positivity.  I am saddened to hear you are facing some challenges that are surfacing as you are with your online support group at Wellspring.  If there is anything we can do here and you want to share, please do.  I, would like to support you where you need it.  
    Again, bare with me as my fatigue is battling with my retention.  If I am reading correctly, you are currently NED and in group today perhaps topics came up of recurrence that triggered the possibility of this being yourself one day?  Is that what had you upset?   If so, it is very understandable.  It would be so nice to be able to sit in this little cocoon we can make around ourselves to protect us from the harsher realities out there.  I feel you are an empathetic person and that perhaps when that came up today, you felt what the others were feeling and it hurt deep.  You are a kind and caring person.  Remember to take care of yourself first.  It is okay to not be ok some days. It is also normal to want to live in your NED status and not think of all the "what ifs" or "when" and just enjoy.  Savour those moments if you can.  Live them up in whatever way you can.  We all know we don't know what tomorrow brings.  We know this because it is the "not knowing" that brought us all here to this forum one day.  We all were living our lives as we usually do and then "wham" the C word is brought up and our normality comes crashing down.  Our lives as we knew it are turned upside down and for those we love as well.  Find a way to bring some joy into your life this weekend.  Find some simplicity in the little things....like the crocuses popping out of the ground and showing their colour, the song of the spring birds and the warmth of the sun when it is out.  Smile as it can be infectious and glorious.  Watch a funny movie or sitcom and laugh.  Touch your loved one and think of what it means to touch someone and feel the love you have between yourselves.  The little things we take for granted every day like taking a shower on our own and dressing ourselves and what independence feels like should bring you joy.  I hope this helps and you find yourself smiling by the end of it.  You know I am near if you should need anything, reach out anytime.  In the meantime, off of the electronics and rest for the evening and see what tomorrow brings for you. 
    Take care  <3
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    This may contain winnie the pooh quote with an image of a bear in a boat
  • @Strongwoman thank you for your kind words.  Yes, I definitely do feel the pain of others very deeply.  One woman was diagnosed in 2016, and did really well for while.  Now she has an inoperable tumour around her aortic vein, and had to make the decision not to take part in a clinical trial because there was only a 10% chance that it would stop growing…lots of horrible side effects.  She is brave, matter of fact, but also sad.  It hurts to see others hurting. I was feeling fairly energetic overall, but now I’ve hit a wall.  My whole body hurts and I'm
    tired.  This has bummed me
    out because I want to try riding.  The hernias along my incision also make me feel nervous.  You’re right, I need to just pause and enjoy my moments.  I need to appreciate each day and my many blessings. I think of you often. 
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    @HorseGirl I hope this weekend has you feeling better.  It is difficult to get over side effects and how to live one's life as one wants to when they are present.  I do my best to continue along despite them.  Everyone is different.
    I say, why not try something and see how it goes?  Only do one new thing in a day, let it settle in and see how you are the following day.  I have never really ridden a horse so can't comment on that.  
    What you need to do is be YOU!  Be the person you are and the rest will fall into place.  Try not to give too much of yourself away or you will have nothing left for you to enjoy.  
    Wishing you well and happy thoughts today and every day.  <3
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    “On this lovely Sunday, remember to take a deep breath and relax. Enjoy your family, your friends, and indulge yourself in a nice cup of coffee.” — Unknown
  • HorseGirl
    edited March 17
    Options
    Hi @Strongwoman!  I took your advice and went out for a St. Patrick’s Day☘️ lunch with my horse peeps! (Yikes!  That’s  a giant-sized picture!)
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    HorseGirl said:
    Hi @Strongwoman!  I took your advice and went out for a St. Patrick’s Day☘️ lunch with my horse peeps! (Yikes!  That’s  a giant-sized picture!)
    You look amazing!  Your hair is coming in nicely. I hope you had a wonderful time with your friends.  Your smile is infectious, keep smiling.  <3
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    Sepia Moon  My Top 10 Inspirational Quotes For The Day
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    Sometimes you will be in control of your illness and other times you’ll sink into despair, and that’s OK! Freak out, forgive yourself, and try again tomorrow.

Kelly Hemingway

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    This may contain a quote from charlie brown that says people are not beautiful for the way they look walk or talk
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    This may contain a piece of paper with the words you are incredible to you and an image of a
  • HorseGirl
    Options