Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis ([email protected]).
Hi everyone, there is currently a glitch in the system that is causing the notifications you'd normally receive to your personal email inbox are not being sent. The platform provider is working on this and hopes to have this fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, please be sure to sign into OVdialogue often so that you don't miss any conversations, personal messages, or new posts. Thank you for your understanding.

Book Quote

From rhe book entitled "Untamed" by Glennon Doyle
"What is better: uncomfortable truth or comfortable lies? Every untruth is an unkindness, even if it makes others comfortable."

This has resonated with me.  Think of the times we may have withheld truth because we are afraid of the impact it would have on our loved ones not thinking the impact it has on ourselves while we hold that truth.

Comments

• From the book entitled "Life is Messy" by Matthew Kelly:
    "We cannot live without hope that things will change for the better, and we are not victims of our circumstances."
    "There are some situations in life that need to be dealt with.  They require action. There are other things in life we simply need to wait out."

How these statements ring true for us all....at some point along our journey.  When we are first faced with something whether that be an initial diagnosis or treatment option, we feel like we are victims and the "why me" and "what next" and feelings of hopelessness and fear override our thoughts.  It is a normal process and we slowly come out of it as our own process emerges and lets us "see the light" or "find our way" into more calming times where the thought process will start to clear and make way for a brighter outlook.  We could very well see ourselves and paint ourselves as being the victims, in which a brief stop in this way of thinking is okay but to stay in it for long periods of time is unhealthy and requires some interventions to help us cope and get us through this phase. For some it is friend/family, others reading material, podcasts, support groups or medical intervention that help us.  All good sources and after that dark phase passes we are usually able to see more clearly and that what we went through has helped us grow in other ways.  
    Definitely there are things that need to be dealt with and I recall doing some of those things to get them off my check list when I was encouraged to quit working altogether.  Things like finishing things up for the business, applying for Disability Tax Credit, CPP Disability, double checking things are all good with our wills, life insurance etc. Anything and everything that was tangible and achievable to me at the time is what I set forth to do because I could.  These helped to ease my mind for some reason.  The other things I had no control over were what the cancer was doing, what was next and how I was feeling.  I believe it is why we seek to control what we can and when we feel we can't that we feel stuck.  The cancer journey is a long haul and has many ups and downs. It can also bring with it a clarity of what matters most in our lives and what we possibly thought mattered, really doesn't and possibly doesn't fit anymore.  Some people don't 'fit' in my life anymore.  I don't dwell on it but embrace the ones that have been here and stood by me through it all.  It is those people who have been my anchor even when I have been at some of my worst emotionally, mentally and physically.  Those that can weather through that and be patient with us, those are our anchors. We can't rush things despite wanting to and I find sometimes along that waiting period, something else unfolds that we thought might not even be an option or opportunity.  These are the little nuggets I hold dear to.  Re-uniting with family and strengthening some of those forgotten or "life is too busy bonds" and holding dear the hugs and love they provide for us. The constant waiting for appts is tough, but one never knows what will come to us between that waiting time.  Be patient. Be kind. Be good to yourself. Above all, let your true self come through, those around you will adapt and be there the whole long while....just let them in.  <3