Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Welcome @Strongwoman as Moderator

Options
mfallis
mfallis admin
edited November 2023 in Events
Good afternoon everyone, 

It is my pleasure to welcome @Strongwoman as OVdialogue Moderator. Over the last few months, @Strongwoman has been a wonderful presence within OVdialogue and has provided such support within our community. It seems a natural fit for her to step into this role as Moderator as she has been a Community Champion/Peer Support Volunteer for the last few years. 

Thank you @Strongwoman for stepping into this role officially and for your continued support of this community. 

Comments

• Strongwoman has been such a positive and encouraging force for people like me who were experiencing extreme anxiety and stress with a new diagnosis.  She is a true hero!❤️
  • I absolutely love @Strongwoman! She is always there to provide support, always so quick! Congratulations for becoming  a moderator! 
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    aww thank you @Sylviequebecbc
  • babs272
    Options
    Babs still here. Tried so many chemo,s and just found out it’s not working. They have started me on a chemo pill, so no more pokes. It’s a relief.my arms needed a break.just dealing with a lot of right leg pain. They have me on hydro-morphine but it does not do much for the pain
    anyone here dealing with extreme pain?
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    @babs272  Sorry to hear that the chemo did not work but thankful you will get a break from all that poking.  What drug did they put you on for the oral chemo?  How are you managing with any side effects from it?
      As for the pain and the hydromorph, is it long acting or short acting?  Best way to know is, do you take it every 4-6 hrs or every 12 hours?  If it is the short acting, perhaps it is time to ask about the long acting one.  I had to do that and it was life changing for me.  I have the short acting ones for break through pain when it gets to a level I can't handle it or an acute situation.  I hope this info helps you.
      Glad to have you back and posting.  We have missed you.  <3
  • babs272
    Options
    I am on etoposide. I am trying the breakthru method for pain with hydro morphone.Take 2 pills every 2 hours for pain until it eases
    .I feel so drowsy all I want to do is sleep.

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    Options
    @babs272 Yes, the hydromorph can make you drowsy initially.  I think if you are taking it that often, you need to speak to your team about the long lasting one. That way, it is constantly in your system and easier on your organs as well.  You can have the short acting ones for breakthrough as needed after that.  It takes a couple of days for the long acting ones to take effect in the body so be patient and make sure you are not getting constipated either. Perhaps discuss that with your team as well.  I think once you make the change to long acting, you will see a difference as they release slowly over time throughout the body compared to the short acting ones.  I know exactly how you feel as I used to feel that way at one time.  In my opinion, it is definitely worth the ask especially knowing how often you are taking the short acting ones.  
    As for the med you are on, I have not heard of it before this, Etoposide.  I will have to look it up and educate myself a little on it.
    Until you can speak with your team, hang in there but as soon as they are back working from this holiday, I would call in and get yourself switched.  
    Hope this helps!  
    Take care of you  <3