Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Ascites question from Teal Thursday

Options
@Taita wrote this in the chat yesterday
"I have a question for anyone in the group.  My ascites is pushing everything around including helping my calfs, ankles and sometimes legs swell.  I am using compression socks but they have their own issues. Has anyone taken diuretics for the swelling?  My nurses think it would help, but my oncologist says it won't. Next stop is family doctor.  Thoughts?"

I will weigh in with what knowledge I know of the body from being in the healthcare field before I retired.  I would side with your Oncologist on that one. Ascites is due to a build up of fluid within the peritoneal cavity.  If they are already draining it, I feel that the effectiveness of a water pill would not be very effective due to the amounts they are draining from you currently. That does not say one can't try and see at all. I, personally, don't feel you will obtain results I feel you are looking for. Once they start draining like they are, it is a continuous cycle of it until resolved or one learns to live with it. Not an answer any one of us wants to hear, it is unfortunately a reality of it. It is something I am sure I will face down the road as well.  It is extremely frustrating, uncomfortable and emotionally difficult as well.  If you do find out any answers from your family doctor and would like to share them, I would be interested in reading the post. 
  Hope you have a nice weekend and are as comfortable as you can be.
Take care
This was taken from a website 
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/14792
"A sheet of tissue called the peritoneum covers the abdominal organs, including the stomach, bowels, liver and kidneys. The peritoneum has two layers. Ascites happens when fluid builds up between the two layers."